@WhiteBronze392 Build

I thought that was interesting as well as I was prepared to order either or the electric or belt drive kit as they are the same price and didn’t want to do this a 3rd time 😂 I knew the belt would be more work for me but didn’t care at this point. If this one doesn’t work I may be doing the belt drive 😳

Any sensor or other issue after removing the EPS pump?
I am thinking, there isn't a great solution.

The first gearbox I got from PSC was bad and pulled hard to the right, was loose, changed lanes when I would hit a bump and twitchy as could be. My shop called PSC and was told, it was a known issue, likely caused by the spool valve, and they would have to replace the box.

I picked it up yesterday and it's a whole different animal. It's way tighter/heavier, feels like it's on a rail. It doesn't seem to turn as easily now, but I am just testing on the road so far and it's way easier than stock.

My impression after 40 miles of driving, in town and on the highway today, is that it feels way better than stock.

So your options are:

Go PSC belt drive, and hope you get one of the good gearboxes off the shelf.

Stay stock and don't wheel big rocks, and hope it doesn't get hot and stop working.

Get an Apex and hope it is better than stock

Take a shot at Red Neck Ram, which probably will have issues, but it will be less expensive

I didn't have any sensor or other issue after removing the EPS pump?
 
you might have a bad ground somewhere or frayed wiring. best guess....

check every ground point you can find.
Thanks I will try that. I am bout ready get rid of the whole electric stuff and do a belt pump and hydraulic assist
 
I am thinking, there isn't a great solution.

The first gearbox I got from PSC was bad and pulled hard to the right, was loose, changed lanes when I would hit a bump and twitchy as could be. My shop called PSC and was told, it was a known issue, likely caused by the spool valve, and they would have to replace the box.

I picked it up yesterday and it's a whole different animal. It's way tighter/heavier, feels like it's on a rail. It doesn't seem to turn as easily now, but I am just testing on the road so far and it's way easier than stock.

My impression after 40 miles of driving, in town and on the highway today, is that it feels way better than stock.

So your options are:

Go PSC belt drive, and hope you get one of the good gearboxes off the shelf.

Stay stock and don't wheel big rocks, and hope it doesn't get hot and stop working.

Get an Apex and hope it is better than stock

Take a shot at Red Neck Ram, which probably will have issues, but it will be less expensive

I didn't have any sensor or other issue after removing the EPS pump?
I may end up doing the whole kit I’m about over the electric pump. What do you do about the electric plugs when you get rid of the electric pump? Any dash notification? I know it send an light when it’s unplugged
 
I may end up doing the whole kit I’m about over the electric pump. What do you do about the electric plugs when you get rid of the electric pump? Any dash notification? I know it send an light when it’s unplugged
I believe you get if you pay for it a new psc electric pump. Or you can keep your pump that is what a friend did to save some money
 
I may end up doing the whole kit I’m about over the electric pump. What do you do about the electric plugs when you get rid of the electric pump? Any dash notification? I know it send an light when it’s unplugged
Tazer it out
 
Like above, no issue if you use Tazer. I removed the wires from the connectors, heat shrunk the wires individually, and then taped the wires. Zip tied the bundle in place.
 
I believe you get if you pay for it a new psc electric pump. Or you can keep your pump that is what a friend did to save some money
Unfortunately the PSC electric pump I ordered didn’t fix the issue so I’ve definitely got a electrical issue somewhere
 
I know its tight in there. Possible during Apex install you did something to wiring in proximity? If limited to power steering, are all of the wires fully inserted into connectors, any bent pins, etc?
 
I know its tight in there. Possible during Apex install you did something to wiring in proximity? If limited to power steering, are all of the wires fully inserted into connectors, any bent pins, etc?
Thanks and possibly something in proximity. I checked both connectors about 10 times and they look fine to me but I’m second guessing everything at this point
 
Last edited:
Thanks and possibly something in proximity. I checked both connectors about 10 times and they look fine to me but I’m second guessing everything at this point

Sorry you're dealing with this. I know how incredibly frustrating it can be.

For what it's worth, my OEM Pump + Apex boost, PSC steering box, PSC ram setup is so damn good. Hang in there!
 
Sorry you're dealing with this. I know how incredibly frustrating it can be.

For what it's worth, my OEM Pump + Apex boost, PSC steering box, PSC ram setup is so damn good. Hang in there!
Thank you! And awesome glad to hear!
 
There are a couple of important ground connections beside the passenger side headlight. The headlight needs to be removed to get to them.
It's looking like it is definitely a grounding issue. I checked all 3 of the ones behind the light and two others on the passenger fender. I loosened wiggled and retightened with some success lol

I called Bob with PSC this morning and explained its not a pump issue but an electrical issue and requested to return the PCS HD EP
as I had only installed the pump and not the cooler etc (I just plugged it in and hooked it to the Apex cooler and hoses had already installed to see if it worked) and order the full belt drive hydro assist kit to which he kindly obliged and agreed to a full refund on the EP…Thank you!

I reinstalled the OEM pump to drive it with no PS to Rons shop to get the other work done ( he said he would look at the PS as well but electronics is not his expertise) I started it up and Christmas tree on the dash, shifter, collision and all kinds of warning lights. I shut it off and messed with the grounds again and all went off except for the steering so I headed out. A few miles from my house with no PS the steering light went out and I heard a whine so I turned the wheel and PS was back :mad: I pulled over and added more fluid (the whine) and full PS was restored. It continued to work the rest of the 20 miles to the shop but the dash display was acting weird so I still have an issue to track down.

I am going to install the PSC anyhow and take the pump wiring out of the mix and I no longer have faith in the electric setup even after I figure out what the electrical gremlin is. It may require a trip to the dealer I just hope they will help and not just blame the mods.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help
 
Last edited:
It's looking like it is definitely a grounding issue. I checked all 3 of the ones behind the light and two others on the passenger fender. I loosened wiggled and retightened with some success lol

I called Bob with PSC this morning and explained its not a pump issue but an electrical issue and requested to return the PCS HD EP
as I had only installed the pump and not the cooler etc (I just plugged it in and hooked it to the Apex cooler and hoses had already installed to see if it worked) and order the full belt drive hydro assist kit to which he kindly obliged and agreed to a full refund on the EP…Thank you!

I reinstalled the OEM pump to drive it with no PS to Rons shop to get the other work done ( he said he would look at the PS as well but electronics is not his expertise) I started it up and Christmas tree on the dash, shifter, collision and all kinds of warning lights. I shut it off and messed with the grounds again and all went off except for the steering so I headed out. A few miles from my house with no PS the steering light went out and I heard a whine so I turned the wheel and PS was back :mad: I pulled over and added more fluid (the whine) and full PS was restored. It continued to work the rest of the 20 miles to the shop but the dash display was acting weird so I still have an issue to track down.

I am going to install the PSC anyhow and take the pump wiring out of the mix and I no longer have faith in the electric setup even after I figure out what the electrical gremlin is. It may require a trip to the dealer I just hope they will help and not just blame the mods.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help
Since PSC is just down the street from my house, it would be easier if you give me your credit card info, and I will take care of everything.
 
Getting close! Should be picking it up tomorrow and will do the PSC hydro, Antirocks, Apex alternator over the weekend then chase down any electrical issues I may still have.
 
Last edited:
Pics
img_8034-webp.46617
IMG_8031.webp
IMG_8026.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8034.webp
    IMG_8034.webp
    269.2 KB · Views: 391

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top