Small Travel Trailers

Shortcut

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2005 LJR; 2018 WKII TrackHawk & 2021 JLR392. "True Wrangler Unlimiteds Only Have 2 Doors"
I pulled the trigger on a RedArc Tow Pro Elite along with a Tekonsha Custom Wiring Adapt Trailer Brake Controllers-jeep and a Redarc Wiring Adapter For Tekonsha Brake Controller Harness all from E-Trailers.com.
Okay, so I got the Redarc setup. Problem is that there is no space in the dash to drill into to install the control knob. The 12volt outlet in the dash could probably be removed and the control knob installed in it’s place but not sure about how close of a fit it would have been between the control diameter and the exsisting hole diameter. Opted to order the Mopar brake controller that is designed to replace the outlet and function the same as the Redarch. SKU for the kit is 82215652AB and paid $278.01 which included shipping & AZ Tax from MoparOnlineParts.com. The dealership quoted me $400.00 for the same product pre-tax. Though the description on the site says that the product is on back order with no get-well date I was notified that my order shipped the next day and was delivered 6 days later.

Attachments

• 926B5F48-0A1E-4182-99A5-F0EDC7A50F9B.jpeg
    926B5F48-0A1E-4182-99A5-F0EDC7A50F9B.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Yaak392

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 392 Launch edition
You will be fine unless the trailer with motorcycle exceeds 3500 lbs. I’m wondering if the tow package includes a circuit in the wiring harness to accommodate a trailer brake controller in the driver’s compartment area. 🤔
Please let us know what you learn about the trailer brake circuitry. You have a very good question.

Ngcannotwait

Founding Member
Reaction score
We plan on towing a box trailer w/ a motorcycle - or two.
We’ve towed an open trailer w/ a work bench on it.
Towed great - like it wasn’t even there.

hardhat

Reaction score
Current Rides
2013 JKU Rubicon on 37s
This is the best we could find that would stay at near the 3500 lb wt limit. They don't make this exact model anymore, and I can't find a new one that ticks all these boxes with dry weight under 3000 lbs. Tongue weight was little over spec, but did not seem to matter.

Sleeps 4, murphy bed couch, dinette. Basically has everything except space to move around in. We have enjoyed it. 2013 Rubicon tows it fine as far as stability. We went with a tekonsha prodigy rf wireless controller that has worked great. Had to run a 10g wire to back and mount a 7 pin trailer plug in the aev bumper. Did not have to install brake controller in the jeep.

Having said that, on the 392 I will probably do the mopar trailer controller in the 12v socket approach that someone mentioned on here earlier. Wireless one is fine, but you have to move control module from trailer to trailer. Was not a problem because that is the only trailer we towed that had electric brakes.

ZABUKOVIC RV

Reaction score
Current Rides
2020 JLU RUBICON, 2021 JLU Rubicon 392
Take a look at Braxton Creek Bushwacker PLus or Bushwackers. https://www.braxtoncreek.com/model/bushwhacker-plus-teardrop I just sold a 17BH to a lady who has a regular 2018 Rubi and she does great with it. That being said the easiest brake control system is the Curt Echo Wireless brake control. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Curt/C51180.html

Due to limited areas to deal with other wiring we have found that the Echo is the easiest and works great with vehicles that otherwise need special wiring harnesses or having a whole rewire job just for a brake control. We have done numerous with the Echo and its simple and works.

Battle.Rattle

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
Sting Gray 2021 Rubicon 392
Anyone plan on towing a small travel trailer?
20201108_143003.jpg

My camper with my 2015 JKU. With an upgrade to the gears and a TrailDash, it was no problem. Definitely not a problem with the 392.