Replacing stock 392 battery

For weight distribution many race applications have a battery mounted in the rear of the car, as do many current model cars and SUVs. For example @Obi Wong Kenobi probably has the ideal use case in his BMW M3 - trunk mounted (not too hot) & Texas (not too cold), with the bonus of having a nice weight reduction for a performance vehicle.
Correct. As I mentioned previously, my applications so far have been for fair weather vehicles and lightweight reasons. I was planning to get one for the 392 in the future but would talk to AG about the temperature range beforehand.

It seems that Dakota Lithium has a much wider temperature range for their starting capable battery, though there's probably fitment issues to consider.

"""
OPERATING TEMPERATURE
Ideal for rugged & harsh environments. Much better than SLA or other lithium batteries. -20°F min, +150°F max optimal operating temps (battery performs well down to -20°F). Internal even-heat technology allows for charging below 32°F. BMS high temp cut off at 167°F / 75°C.
"""
"""
INTERNAL EVEN-HEAT TECHNOLOGY
Increases performance in extreme cold. When charging the battery in temperatures below 0°C/32°F DL's internal heating element will warm the cells to 0°C/32°F. This increases the lifespan, performance, and efficiency of the battery.
"""

Odyssey Performance Series Group 48/H6

ODP-AGM48

I have a 2 door JL Rubicon with an AMW 4x4 392 conversion and the above listed battery is what the local battery guru suggested. I am in the Marine business and this guy is the guy we buy all our marine batteries from. For those of you that are not familiar with the marine industry, marine batteries last 3 years if you are lucky so if this is the guy the people in the Boating Capital of the World turn to for battery advice I will trust and try whatever he suggests.

$256

Last edited:
Odyssey Performance Series Group 48/H6

ODP-AGM48 116

I have a 2 door JL Rubicon with an AMW 4x4 392 conversion and the above listed battery is what the local battery guru suggested. I am in the Marine business and this guy is the guy we buy all our marine batteries from. For those of you that are not familiar with the marine industry, marine batteries last 3 years if you are lucky so if this is the guy the people in the Boating Capital of the World turn to for battery advice I will trust and try whatever he suggests.

$256
Just to confirm, that’s ODP-AGM48 H6, not ODP-AGM48 116, right? I can’t find the latter online at all.

thanks!

Just to confirm, that’s ODP-AGM48 H6, not ODP-AGM48 116, right? I can’t find the latter online at all.

thanks!
Not sure I understand the question but does this answer your question?

Attachments

• IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 58
Thanks for confirming! Your original post said 116 and not H6 for the last section of the part number.

Thanks for confirming! Your original post said 116 and not H6 for the last section of the part number.
oh sorry, here is the OEM in my 392

in my hemi conversions over the years I have tried several batteries and I never found a battery I liked as much as an odyssey and one that I hated as much as am optima

Attachments

• IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 29
For those questioning whether the Odyssey 94R fits, I can confirm it fits nicely as does the OEM battery insulation cover. The OEM is also a 94R, but lesser quality and specs. Here are the Odyssey specs and pics from install:

IMG_0175.jpeg

IMG_0815.jpeg

IMG_0816.jpeg

My 21 392 with 24k miles started giving me the Auxillary switches not available battery charging…messege. I had noticed the starting wasn’t as brisk either. I took it to the dealer for a battery test and it failed so they replaced it under warranty. Score! Only problem is that it’s not a 5 minute battery test. They kept it over night and use a high tech machine to test each cell.

My 21 392 with 24k miles started giving me the Auxillary switches not available battery charging…messege. I had noticed the starting wasn’t as brisk either. I took it to the dealer for a battery test and it failed so they replaced it under warranty. Score! Only problem is that it’s not a 5 minute battery test. They kept it over night and use a high tech machine to test each cell.
My battery problem manifested itself as intermittently needing a jump start about every 3 days making me think there was a drain of some sort on the battery. I was constantly checking for something that was either left on or a system that wasn't shutting down when the engine was turned off. Then one day it needed a jump in the morning and then later on the same day needed to be jumped in a parking lot. Took it to the dealer, they took it in the same day (no appointment necessary) ran the same sort of overnight test and replaced the battery pronouncing one of the cells to be dead. This was covered under warranty so nothing more than an inconvenience.

For those questioning whether the Odyssey 94R fits, I can confirm it fits nicely as does the OEM battery insulation cover. The OEM is also a 94R, but lesser quality and specs. Here are the Odyssey specs and pics from install:

View attachment 25084

View attachment 25085

View attachment 25086

I am definitely a fan of the Odyssey batteries, and I'm glad to see it fits so well.

Do you mind sharing a link to that positive side distro block?

I have the same issue. The car is just about starting right now and while in the desert yesterday, I was inflating my tires with the onboard ARB and the car just cut out while doing the 3rd tire. Already called the ‘stealer’ and they said they would replace it under warranty. Keeping a starter pack in the car for now.

Car Batteries in any cars usually only last 1.5-2 years max. The heat kills them.

I have the same issue. The car is just about starting right now and while in the desert yesterday, I was inflating my tires with the onboard ARB and the car just cut out while doing the 3rd tire. Already called the ‘stealer’ and they said they would replace it under warranty. Keeping a starter pack in the car for now.

Car Batteries in any cars usually only last 1.5-2 years max. The heat kills them.
What do you mean when you say "the car cut out while doing the 3rd tire"? You should always have the engine running when using an onboard air compressor. And sorry, not a car, a Jeep!

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpeg
    IMG_0087.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 17
What do you mean when you say "the car cut out while doing the 3rd tire"? You should always have the engine running when using an onboard air compressor. And sorry, not a car, a Jeep!
Of course the engine was running. Sorry Jeep!

No problem ☺️

Obviously driving in the desert we deflate the tires so I was inflating them again and when I got to the 3rd tire the engine just cut out. I’m assuming that the draw of power on idle was too much for the battery (from a supplement perspective) anyway it’s with the dealer having a new battery put in. Hated how laboured the starts sounded so glad it’s being done.

No problem ☺️

Obviously driving in the desert we deflate the tires so I was inflating them again and when I got to the 3rd tire the engine just cut out. I’m assuming that the draw of power on idle was too much for the battery (from a supplement perspective) anyway it’s with the dealer having a new battery put in. Hated how laboured the starts sounded so glad it’s being done.
Interesting. The alternator should be able to put out around 200 amps and your compressor should max out at 60 amps if you have the top of the line ARB dual. Anyway, glad you are getting a battery under warranty.

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com StopwatchUSA.com airRyd auto shipping MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Metal Cloak Jeep Products Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

🔥 Popular Amazon Products 🔥

Back