Deep Bass Noise

Here’s the thread in our forum:
4 mics, with or with out SOT. 2 on each side of the roll bar speakers and 2 on the back roll bar. Most people will never know they exist and hear any difference…especially in the 392. There are some people out there who can pick up the noise cancellation but most can’t. These really only become a problem when you start adding audio mods…specifically an amp. It’s impossible to tune an amp with the mics. I disconnected all 4 of mine while installing speakers, subs and an amp.

4 mics, with or with out SOT. 2 on each side of the roll bar speakers and 2 on the back roll bar. Most people will never know they exist and hear any difference…especially in the 392. There are some people out there who can pick up the noise cancellation but most can’t. These really only become a problem when you start adding audio mods…specifically an amp. It’s impossible to tune an amp with the mics. I disconnected all 4 of mine while installing speakers, subs and an amp.
What does it sound like to people who can hear it?

I think most people who SAY they can hear the cancellation are really hearing the switch to 4cyl mode.

I hear an echoing in my Bronco that I don’t hear when I disable ANC. Think it’s the latency.

The only time I've noticed mine is when there is a plastic bag against the subwoofer in the cargo area. Put a Walmart sack up against it and you can tell exactly what it's doing, otherwise I never actually hear it.

I don’t know, I can’t hear it, my exhaust are louder, my audio guy had done a similar set up on a JL rubicon a few months before mine. They struggled to tune it until they pulled the mics. He described it as deep feedback sound with the new amp.

They all have ANC…. They all do it. It’s whether you notice it or not. Here’s a good explanation of how the system is designed to work (From another Jeep forum):

The Active Noise Cancellation System is system is designed to address the change in exhaust noise whenever the vehicle is operating in Fuel Economy Mode (ECO) or 4 cylinder mode. The system relies on four microphones embedded in the headliner to detect the exhaust drone and prompt an onboard frequency generator to create counteracting sound waves through the audio system's speakers and sub-woofer. This helps keep the vehicle quiet at highway speeds.

The Active Noise Control (ANC) module performs the creation of signals appropriate to cancel engine order related vehicle noises from the engine. It creates these signals in proportion to the Engine RPM plus any other needed input.

...The ANC module obtains the engine RPM from the vehicle Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
...The signals that the ANC module creates includes at least four simultaneous signals equivalent to sine wave frequencies in designated ratios tracking the engine RPM, to cancel engine order related noises, plus other optional signals that can enhance the cancellation effect.
...To maintain the effectiveness of the noise cancellation over the full range of vehicle operating conditions and seating locations, the ANC module has four outputs and process signals from four microphone assemblies located in the headliner.
...The ANC module supports mixing the four ANC signals into any output channel at a point after all of the signal processing required
...The ANC module operates on vehicle battery power and has its state of operation controlled by CAN-B bus messages.

Like I said in earlier posts it doesn’t bother me. @Sulley go to a dealer that has a used 392 and ask to take it for a test drive. That’s what I did before buying mine. There are definitely people that are more sensitive to it and it annoys them.

If you make changes to the audio system and don’t know your way around the ANC system it seems to magnify the noises that it makes (and not in a good way).

They all have ANC…. They all do it. It’s whether you notice it or not. Here’s a good explanation of how the system is designed to work (From another Jeep forum):

The Active Noise Cancellation System is system is designed to address the change in exhaust noise whenever the vehicle is operating in Fuel Economy Mode (ECO) or 4 cylinder mode. The system relies on four microphones embedded in the headliner to detect the exhaust drone and prompt an onboard frequency generator to create counteracting sound waves through the audio system's speakers and sub-woofer. This helps keep the vehicle quiet at highway speeds.

The Active Noise Control (ANC) module performs the creation of signals appropriate to cancel engine order related vehicle noises from the engine. It creates these signals in proportion to the Engine RPM plus any other needed input.

...The ANC module obtains the engine RPM from the vehicle Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
...The signals that the ANC module creates includes at least four simultaneous signals equivalent to sine wave frequencies in designated ratios tracking the engine RPM, to cancel engine order related noises, plus other optional signals that can enhance the cancellation effect.
...To maintain the effectiveness of the noise cancellation over the full range of vehicle operating conditions and seating locations, the ANC module has four outputs and process signals from four microphone assemblies located in the headliner.
...The ANC module supports mixing the four ANC signals into any output channel at a point after all of the signal processing required
...The ANC module operates on vehicle battery power and has its state of operation controlled by CAN-B bus messages.

Like I said in earlier posts it doesn’t bother me. @Sulley go to a dealer that has a used 392 and ask to take it for a test drive. That’s what I did before buying mine. There are definitely people that are more sensitive to it and it annoys them.

If you make changes to the audio system and don’t know your way around the ANC system it seems to magnify the noises that it makes (and not in a good way).
I was referring to OPs description of his booming noise. I've never experienced anything like that in my mix of highway and city driving.

I was referring to OPs description of his booming noise. I've never experienced anything like that in my mix of highway and city driving.
His booming noise is likely the ANC everyone is talking about.

It is a Stellantis thing not just a Jeep thing. The TRX forum and other Stellantis vehicle sites have posts about offensive bass based noises.

It’s pretty bad with the top down and in off-road plus. When coming to a stop it’s very very annoying. Really wish they could be switched on and off.

Is it possible one of the mics is defective and causing issues with the incoming frequency?

Hi everyone,
i just installed a Borla Atak exhaust system. And drone sound has gone, and even better noticed the alpine sound system s clarity/quality has improved drastically. Has anyone noticed that

Hi everyone,
i just installed a Borla Atak exhaust system. And drone sound has gone, and even better noticed the alpine sound system s clarity/quality has improved drastically. Has anyone noticed that
No
The drone is slightly louder in mine. Same system.
I have a hearing deficit. With that, if it seems louder to me, it is for others.
Also, I seem to recall the acoustic cancellation is calibrated to the stock system and doesn’t adjust for aftermarket systems.

Last edited:
No
The drone is slightly louder in mine. Same system.
I have a hearing deficit. With that, if it seems older to me, it is for others.
Also, I seem to recall the acoustic cancellation is calibrated to the stock system and doesn’t adjust for aftermarket systems.
You mean, “I (hkatrib) have a hearing deficit”
Which is true in my left ear 🤣🤣
I must have not noticed the drone sound on mine.
But surely the music bass and sound got clearer.

Try driving in low range, this definitely turns off 4-cylinder mode. That's where I noticed drone the worst, especially with SOT open. I removed all 4 ANC mics and it did help. Also replaced muffler with Magnaflow Street exhaust system, which helped even more to eliminate drone.

When you do hear drone, if you put exhaust in Quiet mode, it may disappear. Mine did.

* 2023 and newer, in Offroad+ mode should disable 4cyl mode. My 2023 does.

You mean, “I (hkatrib) have a hearing deficit”
Which is true in my left ear 🤣🤣
I must have not noticed the drone sound on mine.
But surely the music bass and sound got

Try driving in low range, this definitely turns off 4-cylinder mode. That's where I noticed drone the worst, especially with SOT open. I removed all 4 ANC mics and it did help. Also replaced muffler with Magnaflow Street exhaust system, which helped even more to eliminate drone.

When you do hear drone, if you put exhaust in Quiet mode, it may disappear. Mine did.

* 2023 and newer, in Offroad+ mode should disable 4cyl mode. My 2023 does.
even prior to 23 the offroad+ removes 4cyl

The final piece to the puzzle to limit drone is sound treatment. Like a Dynomatt type product. Treat floors, doors and rear deck area. Really does make a difference.

Back