Not open for further replies.

YukonCornelius

Moderator 🛠️
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
A Quarter Horse Named "Lex"
With less than one hour to go before the strike deadline, UAW President Shawn Fain announced that if no deal is reached by midnight ET, workers at a GM plant in Wentzville, Missouri; a Stellantis plant in Toledo; and a Ford plant in Wayne, Michigan – would go on strike….

There won’t be any winners out of this. Not the union, not the management, and for sure not the consumers.

Good that I also have a deposit on the Cybertruck. 😁 Let’s see what I’m gonna get first.

With less than one hour to go before the strike deadline, UAW President Shawn Fain announced that if no deal is reached by midnight ET, workers at a GM plant in Wentzville, Missouri; a Stellantis plant in Toledo; and a Ford plant in Wayne, Michigan – would go on strike….
“Workers at Ford’s Bronco plant in Michigan, a Stellantis Jeep factory in Toledo, Ohio, and a GM pickup plant in Missouri were instructed to leave their posts, beginning what could be a series of sporadic walkouts done without notice at additional auto factories.” per WSJ.

Why the Jeep plant 😩😩😩

“Workers at Ford’s Bronco plant in Michigan, a Stellantis Jeep factory in Toledo, Ohio, and a GM pickup plant in Missouri were instructed to leave their posts, beginning what could be a series of sporadic walkouts done without notice at additional auto factories.” per WSJ.

Why the Jeep plant 😩😩😩
Because they want to shut down plants that produce the most profitable and desirable vehicles to send a message. They’ll probably shut down the Ram 1500 plant in Sterling Heights next. The whole situation sucks. I feel bad for anyone waiting on an order. I hope it gets resolved sooner rather than later but it’s not looking good.

Currently waiting on a jeep. In my opinion, if it's the difference between a factory autoworker's livelihood and my jeep, I'd rather wait for my jeep.

Currently waiting on a jeep. In my opinion, if it's the difference between a factory autoworker's livelihood and my jeep, I'd rather wait for my jeep.
Same. Waiting since May and there is nothing about this thing that is more important than someone being able to feed their family and be paid fairly. Now.. a four day work week though... ha.

6% holding hostage 94%. All union members are 6% of the total work force

They should've let the big 3 collapse back in 09 and let them reinvent themself.

40% salaray increase, lifetime job security, 32 hours work week but getting paid 40 hours sounds like a FaceBook meme but sadly this are UAW demands

I know several union members at the Jeep plant in Toledo and the GM plant in Fort Wayne. Its my opinion that many of these workers are greatly overpaid relative to their training and skill set. I see this strike as nothing short of greed.

Unions can be good initially when the working situation is not safe and shift lengths are oppressive....but this is hardly that. They are making widgets and get paid well for that. If society knew what these line workers and management were making (exception may be for the temporary workers) they would have no sympathy for their cause bc they are already getting paid more than the vast majority of americans....with amazing benefits!!!

When I (infrequently) interact with the Fort Wayne UAW members through my business and ask them about work it is literally shocking how entitled they act. 🤯

Last edited:
I believe the short term thinking of the union is going to have bad effects for their members in the future. Demanding so much is just going to make the Big 3 finalize their plans to produce all their products in Mexico just to be competitive.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 094341.png

Stellantis, Jeep's parent company, had apparently been preparing for a UAW strike by building up deep vehicle inventories at dealerships. That's showing now that the strike has begun.

The UAW has called a strike on Stellantis's Toledo, Ohio, factory where the Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator are built. (The Gladiator is essentially a pickup version of the Wrangler.) But it will be a while before dealerships run low on those models. Jeep dealers have an average 207 days' supply of Gladiators, according to data from Cox Automotive.

To calculate "days supply" analysts take the number of a certain model on dealer lots, and divide it by the number of that model that are sold on an average day. It indicates roughly how many days they could keep selling that vehicle out of existing inventory, even if no more came in.
Dealers also have an average 82 days supply of the Wrangler. That's well above the industry average. According to recent figures, auto dealers of all sorts have an average of about 58 days supply of vehicles on their lots, so Jeep dealers are in relatively good shape.

Less so for GM's dealers, however, according to Cox. Chevy dealers have only a 35-day supply of the Colorado midsized pickup and GMC dealers have 38 days' worth of the closely related Canyon truck. Ford dealers, meanwhile, have just a 35-day supply of the Ranger midsized truck and a47-day supply of Ford's Wrangler competitor, the Bronco.

I worked at a Nuclear Power Plant for a couple of years and endured working with the Union members. I could tell you many stories about things they did, ways they behaved and more, but I won't bore you with the details.

This was at the time, the most desirable Nuke plant in the fleet and getting a job there was tough. There were people who applied to work there from other plants repeatedly for a decade before they'd get an interview.

I'll just say this, they were the most despicable group of people I've ever worked with. Egos, Entitlements and flat out back stabbing was rampant and I could not wait to get out of there.

I've got mixed emotions on this one. I get it from the UAW perspective that the worker force requirements will decrease over time do to EV production requiring less parts and less workforce to build. And I don't want to see folks losing jobs, but losing jobs to progress is inevitable. I hope that the auto manufacturers can be thoughtful and empathetic to that and offer training and job transition opportunities to those who will be affected in the future.

I'm just glad I got my 392 when I did (2023 20A edition) versus hold my breath for 2024's down the road. I also have a polestar2 (EV): that's for the road and the 392 is for the dirt. I'm fortunate to have both, but if I could only have one, it would be the 392.

I know several union members at the Jeep plant in Toledo and the GM plant in Fort Wayne. Its my opinion that many of these workers are greatly overpaid relative to their training and skill set. I see this strike as nothing short of greed.

Unions can be good initially when the working situation is not safe and shift lengths are oppressive....but this is hardly that. They are making widgets and get paid well for that. If society knew what these line workers and management were making (exception may be for the temporary workers) they would have no sympathy for their cause bc they are already getting paid more than the vast majority of americans....with amazing benefits!!!

When I (infrequently) interact with the Fort Wayne UAW members through my business and ask them about work it is literally shocking how entitled they act. 🤯
I had a buddy in high school. His father worked at the GM truck plant... building Chevy pickups circa 1989.

My buddy got a summer job there while he was in high school... working nights to help fill in for people taking summer vacations.

Back in the day you could go "tour" the plant at the invitation of an employee. So I did. Even though it was after 11pm, I was driven all over the plant from the beginning of the assembly line to the end... it was pretty cool....

But here's the relevant bit.... That night, my buddy was working on the line at what was considered the "hardest job". He was taking the assembled engine and transmission units, and mounting them in the frame. This is one of the few jobs that can stop the entire line if the worker fails to do it in time.

He was doing that.... but the worker on the line before engine mount and after engine mount were both outside "smoking".... For hours. He was doing all three jobs. Normally at the time the lady upstream only had to install one bracket with a single bolt, and run a bit of wiring into place with a push connector.

The guy downstream only had to connect the fuel pump wiring from inside the rear wheel well.

That's it... at the time the line was advancing at something like 2 minutes per unit.

And one 18 year old kid could do the job of three UAW workers with only a few hours training, and he probably did it better.

And one 18 year old kid could do the job of three UAW workers with only a few hours training, and he probably did it better.
Precisely. Americans would be pissed about any ill effects to them of this strike if they knew how good the union members already have it.

Imagine rooting for billion dollar corporations and CEO's making $30m a year over middle class folks. Couldn't be me.

• Sad
Reactions: @JC
Status
Not open for further replies.

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back