Rear spare delete.. temporary delete?

rocketman

Reaction score
Current Rides
23 392
Does anyone offer a delete kit for the spare that allows for it to be remounted easily? I want to run around town without it, but be able to throw one back on for longer runs out of town. I tried searching and my Google skills are lacking.

What a terrible thread, OP.

Ladies and gents, updated question. After seeing the wild success of my bad idea I have changed my mind. I would like to go full on tire delete. There seems to be a ton of options. Is there any that offers a simple delete thats easy without electric rewiring? The Teraflex seems to have some cutting of tabs and running the license plate light. I just want to delete and put the camera and third brake light in it! I will keep using the license plate mount in the factory bumper. Recommendations, other than not making new threads? Thanks!!

Interested to see what you decide. I'd really like to delete mine, but I usually spend a month in the mountains somewhere going many, many miles from anyone all alone... Every time I think about removing it, I remember that I'd be a mighty long walk out of some of those places.

Interested to see what you decide. I'd really like to delete mine, but I usually spend a month in the mountains somewhere going many, many miles from anyone all alone... Every time I think about removing it, I remember that I'd be a mighty long walk out of some of those places.

I don't go that far out of my way but I do a decent amount of adventuring out of state. I have never had a need for a spare so hoping I keep that streak going. *knock on wood

I have gone down a rabbit hole of delete kits and I think I am leaning towards a brand called Artec. They make it out of powder coated aluminum and it seems really straight forward of a swap with no apparent cutting. I will update with what I end up doing and how miserably I fail at it

I don't go that far out of my way but I do a decent amount of adventuring out of state. I have never had a need for a spare so hoping I keep that streak going. *knock on wood

I have gone down a rabbit hole of delete kits and I think I am leaning towards a brand called Artec. They make it out of powder coated aluminum and it seems really straight forward of a swap with no apparent cutting. I will update with what I end up doing and how miserably I fail at it
Keep your spare somewhere. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could put the spare underneath the Jeep out of the way and so it wouldn’t drag on any thing. It would be easier to change and put away too. I’m a dreamer🤪

I have Artec installed after lots of research it was my favorite for a variety of reasons. I am not currently running a plate light but have one ready to go on. I didn’t cut anything OEM and won’t to do it. I bought a plate light that plugs into the OEM connector but extended the wiring for the long routing. Of course no need if you are not actually going to relocate the plate. Otherwise no cutting of anything OEM required.

However just to warn you it is not a quick swap to go spare to spare less and vice versa
IMG_2896.jpeg

Last edited:
I have Artec installed after lots of research it was my favorite for a variety of reasons. I am not currently running a plate light but have one ready to go on. I didn’t cut anything OEM and won’t to do it. I bought a plate light that plugs into the OEM connector but extended the wiring for the long routing. Of course no need if you are not actually going to relocate the plate. Otherwise no cutting of anything OEM required.

However just to warn you it is not a quick swap to go spare to spare less and vice versa View attachment 34963
OUTSTANDING! Thank you for this! I am going to order it! Appreciate the help and the great photo. Rig is looking fantastic. May I ask, what light plugs into the oem harness just for future reference.

OUTSTANDING! Thank you for this! I am going to order it! Appreciate the help and the great photo. Rig is looking fantastic. May I ask, what light plugs into the oem harness just for future reference.
Thank you very much. I am pretty sure it was this one

I used it when I had the plate mounted in the JK spot with an EVO mount before I removed the spare. Just needed to extend the wires for the new location. I also purchased the Artec light kit when I ordered (2 small lights on each side of the plate) I may use the artec lights instead with the same harness as you can see the quadratec one in the camera which is why I didn’t install it after testing (If I even install either one)

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I am pretty sure it was this one

I used it when I had the plate mounted in the JK spot with an EVO mount before I removed the spare. Just needed to extend the wires for the new location. I also purchased the Artec light kit when I ordered (2 small lights on each side of the plate) I may use the artec lights instead with the same harness as you can see the quadratec one in the camera which is why I didn’t install it after testing (If I even install either one)

I appreciate this post! I am going to look up all those components and check them out! Excited to get this modded! Thank you!

However just to warn you it is not a quick swap to go spare to spare less and vice versa View attachment 34963
Question, sir! I ordered mine but had a concern after reading other reviews. It sounds like there are a few extra holes and spaces for water to enter. Not an issue for you? I believe this mounts right up to the plastic fins so worried about water getting into the rear door itself.

Question, sir! I ordered mine but had a concern after reading other reviews. It sounds like there are a few extra holes and spaces for water to enter. Not an issue for you? I believe this mounts right up to the plastic fins so worried about water getting into the rear door itself.
I have not had any issues with that but basically all of them are similar in mounting

I run Artec too. And have been happy with it. Long term it’s actually been passed down to my third Jeep. . If you take the tire bump stops off , your local hardware store will have black rubber grommets /plugs that push in the holes. I’m in the pnw so I don’t want any water or musty smells getting in.

I run Artec too. And have been happy with it. Long term it’s actually been passed down to my third Jeep. . If you take the tire bump stops off , your local hardware store will have black rubber grommets /plugs that push in the holes. I’m in the pnw so I don’t want any water or musty smells getting in.

Thanks! I guess no issues with it having some holes in it and gaps that allow moisture behind the unit itself? Some youtube comments mention it, and photos online show them too. I'm a tad concerned cause the back of the door has those slots.

Back