Oil changes every 6 months.

Viking Jeeper

Moderator 🛠️
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Rubicon 392 2006 LJR
The performance supplement says to never exceed 6 months between oil changes. At the end of this month it will be 6 months since my last oil change but I have only put on 2000 miles. Sounds excessive and expensive. Who plans to do oil changes every six months even with low miles?

I do all of my vehicle oil changes myself and follow 6 months or 5000 miles whatever is less.
Just one man's opinion.

There are many discussions on this topic on this forum and FB. I believe most people have decided to follow the 6 month 5,000 mile rule to protect the warranty. I intend to do it every 6 months because I won't hit 5,000 in any given 6 month period. Like you, I believe it is excessive but oil and filters are cheap to keep my warranty in tact.

I do all of my vehicle oil changes myself and follow 6 months or 5000 miles whatever is less.
Just one man's opinion.
Same
$90 isn’t worth saving when it’ll cost exponentially more to remedy potential issues due to a lack of fresh fluids.

The performance supplement says to never exceed 6 months between oil changes. At the end of this month it will be 6 months since my last oil change but I have only put on 2000 miles. Sounds excessive and expensive. Who plans to do oil changes every six months even with low miles?
I am doing that now. Had my Jeep 16 months, only 2400 miles, 2 oil changes. Why so often? 1) It’s under warranty and I don’t want to fight with Stellantis if I have an issue while I’m not following the recommended maintenance schedule. 2) Why not put in fresh oil? Can’t hurt. Might help. 3) I paid $80K for this Jeep; my insurance company loves the extra premiums; I put the most expensive gas in it. Changing oil every 6 months seems like a “drop in the bucket” in relative costs to own and operate this beast. 4) I love it.

There are many discussions on this topic on this forum and FB. I believe most people have decided to follow the 6 month 5,000 mile rule to protect the warranty. I intend to do it every 6 months because I won't hit 5,000 in any given 6 month period. Like you, I believe it is excessive but oil and filters are cheap to keep my warranty in tact.
There are many discussions there. I am not on any of the Dodge groups, I wonder if the same schedule is recommended there.

Have a MVP Maximum Care extended warranty. Do I have to take to dealer for oil changes or can I do myself with documentation so as not to void extended warranty?

Have a MVP Maximum Care extended warranty. Do I have to take to dealer for oil changes or can I do myself with documentation so as not to void extended warranty?
On the Mopar companion app you can click on service history and enter your own oil changes in there. There’s no requirement to get oil changes done at any dealer. Just buy oil and filter that meets the manufacturer specs / recommendations. I snap pics of my receipt for my oil and filter and save them on my phone. Did that on my TRX and never had any issues.

On the Mopar companion app you can click on service history and enter your own oil changes in there. There’s no requirement to get oil changes done at any dealer. I snap pics of my receipt for my oil and filter and save them on my phone. Did that on my TRX and never had any issues.
Awesome! Thank you! Prefer to do my own for peace of mind and I send to Blackstone Labs for analysis in many cases.

There are many discussions there. I am not on any of the Dodge groups, I wonder if the same schedule is recommended there.
I am not sure is other vehicles with the 392 have the same schedule or not.

I had a 2021 Hellcat Charger and it had the 6 month interval also.

Just seeing this and I must say that THIS is the dumbest thing I've ever heard from a manufacturer! Does 6 mo's have anything to do with anything? Is it mileage or time? To think that 6 mo's and there is something wrong or could be wrong with your oil is ridiculous. I'd love to see and hear the arguments in court with a warranty issue stating 'void if not serviced with fresh oil every 6 months''. Manufacturer would (I assume....not good I agree but) that their engines do something bad to oil to make it breakdown so quickly (especially with oil companies guaranteeing 10K / 20K intervals). Example: My Range Rover calls for oil changes every 15-18K miles (crazy!!!) but it does have 120K on it and no issues yet. My Raptor, every 8-10 and over 100K and no issues. Love my 392, but the engine isn't something magical, it's bolts, steel and pulleys.

Just seeing this and I must say that THIS is the dumbest thing I've ever heard from a manufacturer! Does 6 mo's have anything to do with anything? Is it mileage or time? To think that 6 mo's and there is something wrong or could be wrong with your oil is ridiculous. I'd love to see and hear the arguments in court with a warranty issue stating 'void if not serviced with fresh oil every 6 months''. Manufacturer would (I assume....not good I agree but) that their engines do something bad to oil to make it breakdown so quickly (especially with oil companies guaranteeing 10K / 20K intervals). Example: My Range Rover calls for oil changes every 15-18K miles (crazy!!!) but it does have 120K on it and no issues yet. My Raptor, every 8-10 and over 100K and no issues. Love my 392, but the engine isn't something magical, it's bolts, steel and pulleys.
side note: What happens when you don't drive 6K in 6 mo's? Do they expect you to drain the new oil? What stops someone from 'resetting the indicator' and not changing the oil? Blackstone can tell you 'what's in it' but not 'how old it is'. ...... Crazy

side note: What happens when you don't drive 6K in 6 mo's? Do they expect you to drain the new oil? What stops someone from 'resetting the indicator' and not changing the oil? Blackstone can tell you 'what's in it' but not 'how old it is'. ...... Crazy
There are many variables here and one can’t simply state there should be a specific time.
Aside from miles and hours on the engine, oils still break down, synthetics and conventional.
All brands have a recommended change interval, aside from the auto manufacturer‘s recommendation. Some oil makers say 6 months. Others, say 1 year. Depends on their additives. There’s a minimum they each must do. Some, do a little more, others, even more. Friction modifiers, suspension agents, thermal agents, detergents, etc.
When it comes to engineering, they can be sure if the oil is changed at “X”, in this argued case, “6 moths” regardless of miles, the risk of contaminants and moisture damage reduces considerably. They want to avoid a warranty claim as much as the buyer.
Synthetics are just as susceptible to taking on moisture. As for the “trapped” contaminants, they are still there and can settle or cause corrosion. Oil becomes acidic with use, and with sitting. It also breaks down over time, even without use.
There’s the other component with motor oil temp. Short drives, where the oil doesn’t reach full operating temp long enough to get moisture to evaporate, can also be problematic. So, the engineers, who rarely, if ever assume, will assume a low mileage use vehicle, doesn’t get driven long enough to get oil to all critical components and operate long enough to properly do it’s job.

Lastly, many of us have unique circumstances. It’s impossible for any manufacturer to create a maintenance interval on variable factors. It’s easier to set a general rule for all.
It’s what we do in our company. Too many variables present, and as a result, we set a standard. There are always exceptions to the rule. And we’ve learned, “everyone” is so unique and has exceptions.

Anecdotally, it seems the only people who claim to never have an issue, follow the manufacturers recommendations and don’t apply their own “experience and knowledge” while deviating from the recommended fluid/time/viscosity, etc.
It does seem those of use who deviate, are most commonly sharing woes. Again, this is anecdotally speaking.

I‘ll say this. Working for a manufacturer, being an engineer, a researcher, technical writer, leading a market acceptance team, design8ng product, etc., I’m one who bases everything on factual, recorded data. It’s emotional torment to sit by and consider opinions as fact or merely at a nominal degree, accurate. It’s one of my plights. 🤣

One add.
they could tell you how old, if they had the test process.
OK, 2 adds…
an oil change is a hell of a lot cheaper than a motor or motor work.
$90 2x a year, is $1800 over 10 years. Even if you go 20 years, which the vast majority won’t, $3600.
I’ve yet to see a new motor for that. Just the simple math of logic on that one.

There are many variables here and one can’t simply state there should be a specific time.
Aside from miles and hours on the engine, oils still break down, synthetics and conventional.
All brands have a recommended change interval, aside from the auto manufacturer‘s recommendation. Some oil makers say 6 months. Others, say 1 year. Depends on their additives. There’s a minimum they each must do. Some, do a little more, others, even more. Friction modifiers, suspension agents, thermal agents, detergents, etc.
When it comes to engineering, they can be sure if the oil is changed at “X”, in this argued case, “6 moths” regardless of miles, the risk of contaminants and moisture damage reduces considerably. They want to avoid a warranty claim as much as the buyer.
Synthetics are just as susceptible to taking on moisture. As for the “trapped” contaminants, they are still there and can settle or cause corrosion. Oil becomes acidic with use, and with sitting. It also breaks down over time, even without use.
There’s the other component with motor oil temp. Short drives, where the oil doesn’t reach full operating temp long enough to get moisture to evaporate, can also be problematic. So, the engineers, who rarely, if ever assume, will assume a low mileage use vehicle, doesn’t get driven long enough to get oil to all critical components and operate long enough to properly do it’s job.

Lastly, many of us have unique circumstances. It’s impossible for any manufacturer to create a maintenance interval on variable factors. It’s easier to set a general rule for all.
It’s what we do in our company. Too many variables present, and as a result, we set a standard. There are always exceptions to the rule. And we’ve learned, “everyone” is so unique and has exceptions.

Anecdotally, it seems the only people who claim to never have an issue, follow the manufacturers recommendations and don’t apply their own “experience and knowledge” while deviating from the recommended fluid/time/viscosity, etc.
It does seem those of use who deviate, are most commonly sharing woes. Again, this is anecdotally speaking.

I‘ll say this. Working for a manufacturer, being an engineer, a researcher, technical writer, leading a market acceptance team, design8ng product, etc., I’m one who bases everything on factual, recorded data. It’s emotional torment to sit by and consider opinions as fact or merely at a nominal degree, accurate. It’s one of my plights. 🤣
Great response and agree with your sediments....thanks. But (here we go....lol), how can the 'oil theory about getting old, time, drive time etc.....which I will agree with you on) be so different between top brands (Range Rover, Ford High Performance etc). All massively different. Basically, 6K for Jeep, 18K for Range Rover, 8K for Ford. NONE of them make the oil or additives and never 'require' a brand over the other (viscosity at most). Just seems really strange that 6 mo's or else is a little crazy.
Next question (open to all), is this a WARRANTY killer if not done (6 mo's and have documentation?). Thanks all and Jeepstin392!

Great response and agree with your sediments....thanks. But (here we go....lol), how can the 'oil theory about getting old, time, drive time etc.....which I will agree with you on) be so different between top brands (Range Rover, Ford High Performance etc). All massively different. Basically, 6K for Jeep, 18K for Range Rover, 8K for Ford. NONE of them make the oil or additives and never 'require' a brand over the other (viscosity at most). Just seems really strange that 6 mo's or else is a little crazy.
Next question (open to all), is this a WARRANTY killer if not done (6 mo's and have documentation?). Thanks all and Jeepstin392!
As for the auto manufacturers, they all have slightly different designs that will allow oil to penetrate easier into the “crevices”, oil pressure, time to optimal temp, etc. Also, each auto manufacturer applies their own recommendations based on the engineers findings and recommendations.
Think of it like frozen pizza. They each have their recommended temp, cooking surface, etc. some, not all, have suggestions on altitude. Cars are not immune to each manufacturers insight, design and intended care.

As for dealers, and manufacturers and voiding warranty.

My first question is, are your pockets and legal team as large as the manufacture? Even if you are compelled, or factually state an emphatic “yes”, is fighting something trivial, and insignificant with cost, what you really prefer to do with your time and money?
That aside, a manufacturer, if they choose, can easily bring out a team of engineers, legal, and more, to prove something wrong on behalf of the owner.

In our company, I’m on that team. That shuts down lawsuits. Our team, has a 100% win rate. It’s a sad fact. We get sued on the regular (nearly weekly) for similar situations. Sadly, the amount of documentation we have, and compile, people don’t have a chance. We live, eat and breathe our business. We know it thoroughly. The most a general consumer produces is a Spreadsheet And some receipts. I can stand outside Advance auto and collect receipts. It does not prove anything. I can make weekly purchases. Who’s to say I kept the purchased receipts and returned the product anyway? You can see how this would roll out.
Here we come rolling in with 15,000+ man hours of record keeping. Add that to being completed by employees under contract, government regulated, and many of us having multiple degrees and decades each of experience. It’s sad when a general consumer thinks they have a case. In 12 years, and a few hundred cases, I have not seen a consumer win yet.

That’s the short version.

As for the auto manufacturers, they all have slightly different designs that will allow oil to penetrate easier into the “crevices”, oil pressure, time to optimal temp, etc. Also, each auto manufacturer applies their own recommendations based on the engineers findings and recommendations.
Think of it like frozen pizza. They each have their recommended temp, cooking surface, etc. some, not all, have suggestions on altitude. Cars are not immune to each manufacturers insight, design and intended care.

As for dealers, and manufacturers and voiding warranty.

My first question is, are your pockets and legal team as large as the manufacture? Even if you are compelled, or factually state an emphatic “yes”, is fighting something trivial, and insignificant with cost, what you really prefer to do with your time and money?
That aside, a manufacturer, if they choose, can easily bring out a team of engineers, legal, and more, to prove something wrong on behalf of the owner.

In our company, I’m on that team. That shuts down lawsuits. Our team, has a 100% win rate. It’s a sad fact. We get sued on the regular (nearly weekly) for similar situations. Sadly, the amount of documentation we have, and compile, people don’t have a chance. We live, eat and breathe our business. We know it thoroughly. The most a general consumer produces is a Spreadsheet And some receipts. I can stand outside Advance auto and collect receipts. It does not prove anything. I can make weekly purchases. Who’s to say I kept the purchased receipts and returned the product anyway? You can see how this would roll out.
Here we come rolling in with 15,000+ man hours of record keeping. Add that to being completed by employees under contract, government regulated, and many of us having multiple degrees and decades each of experience. It’s sad when a general consumer thinks they have a case. In 12 years, and a few hundred cases, I have not seen a consumer win yet.

That’s the short version.
lol....agree and if you knew what I did for a living, you'd be laughing also...... Thanks for the reply.

lol....agree and if you knew what I did for a living, you'd be laughing also...... Thanks for the reply.
Please share.
we’re an unique bunch on here. Prob one of the best forums.

I should share, I’m one of a few who is on the “Ignorant Snowflake” team. Go read the Pikes Peak post. You’ll understand. 🤣

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back