Is it bad to rev the engine in park?

Fast-n-Furious

Reaction score
Okay, I’ve done this so many times. Normally when I arrive at home after a 15 mile drive or longer (meaning the engine temp is good), I tend to rev the engine couple of times either in driveway or in the garage while in park (never in neutral). Just to enjoy the exhaust sound and sometimes to wake up the kids in the back.

Admittedly, I’ve also done this a few times after a quick and short drive, when the engine and oil temperature have not reached to the normal level.

I did the same today after washing my rig and a quick 2 mile drive back to home. It was so nice and I was surprised the outside temperature reached 60 degree right before the new year in PA. And it reminds me that years ago when I was shopping for my first car. My friend and I did rev a VW Jetta in park, all of sudden the owner of the used car dealer came out and started screaming at us.

So, any of you rev the engine in park and any real downsides? I normally don’t do this when the engine is not warm yet.

Last edited:
Okay, I’ve done this so many times. Normally when I arrive at home after a 15 mile drive or longer (meaning the engine temp is good), I tend to rev the engine couple of times either in driveway or in the garage while in park (never in neutral). Just to enjoy the exhaust sound and sometimes to wake up the kids in the back.

Admittedly, I’ve also done this a few times after a quick and short drive, when the engine and oil temperature have not reached to the normal level.

I did the same today after washing my rig and a quick 2 mile drive back to home. It was so nice and I was surprised the outside temperature reached 60 degree right before the new year in PA. And it reminds me that years ago when I was shopping for my first car. My friend and I did rev a VW Jetta in park, all of sudden the owner of the used car dealer came out and started screaming to us.

So, any of you rev the engine in park and any real downsides? I normally don’t do this when the engine is not warm yet.
I do it some as well. Not going to hurt at thing. It only lets you rev to 4000 rpm. I let mine warm up and don't piss rev it cold, but no real load on engine doing this. Rev away and enjoy. I don't see how it could hurt anything. More wear and tear than idling, yes, but certainly not as much as even normal acceleration.

I do it some as well. Not going to hurt at thing. It only lets you rev to 4000 rpm. I let mine warm up and don't piss rev it cold, but no real load on engine doing this. Rev away and enjoy. I don't see how it could hurt anything. More wear and tear than idling, yes, but certainly not as much as even normal acceleration.
Yea the factory 4000 rpm limiter, pretty much all the automatics these days. With all the issues others have posted, I’m trying to be mindful myself and don’t want do stupid things, haha. Glad I’m not alone.

Same reason I would rather not get a stolen vehicle back -- no telling how it was treated.
Come on guys......revving the engine at a stop light or in the garage is not abusive to the engine. I hope y'all are just joking. Don't make the man nervous about the occasional blip of the throttle to hear some commotion. Not good to rev cold engines to high rpms, but other than that, revving is less stressful than driving at that same rpm I would think.

Surely it is not mistreating the engine. Of course, I think I would have to drive WAY harder than I would be comfortable to hurt the 6.4. These engines are huge and the internal stresses are lower than small displacement engines for a given output. I really whipped my 3.6 in my 2012 JK when pulling a 3500 lb camper up hills. Engine would be at 5000 rpm all the way up the hill. Had to run in manual mode to keep it from downshifting and even then if you put it completely on the floor it would downshift. That thing still ran like a top with 100k miles on it when I sold it and is still going strong. No engine problems ever.

The 392, if I'm in the throttle for very long, it is going over 90mph and I have no desire to drive that fast on a regular basis. I think you can drive these things for fun and enjoy the heck out of them without worrying about hurting the engine. Now if you took it on a curvy race track and were full throttle, hard braking, full throttle, hard braking, over and over, then yes, you would overheat, stress and shorten the lifespan of multiple drivetrain components.

I drove my 3.6 harder in the sense that it was under higher relative load and rpm than I do the 6.4. Even though I accelerate more quickly in the 6.4, it is under lower relative load. Really have to whip smaller engines to get them to go. The 6.4 is not really that high output per cubic inch compared to turbocharged or even some naturally aspirated engines.

Don't ask, don't tell eh? 🤣
Agreed. I'd rather not know if some yahoo beat on it before it was broken in. Nothing I can do about it anyway. Probably doesn't really matter either, but would make me worry that my motor wasn't broken in correctly. As if that really matters. Some people advocate breaking them in like you are going to drive them. Or to drive them extra hard from the get go. I followed the factory procedure as best I could, but don't have a strong conviction that is actually matters. Never did any intentional break in on any other new vehicle. Just took it easy for 1st 1000 miles but didn't give it too much thought.

Nothing wrong with some revving in park.......although I usually shift to neutral when doing it with my Diablo and Ford GT.

What difference would P vs N make?
Haven’t tried it but I think putting in N would take away the lower RPM limiter that is on park. Also I revved it up the other day with remote start, before pushing the Start button in the car. I was surprised the Jeep let me rev it before pushing the start button.

Haven’t tried it but I think putting in N would take away the lower RPM limiter that is on park. Also I revved it up the other day with remote start, before pushing the Start button in the car. I was surprised the Jeep let me rev it before pushing the start button.
Did not know there was a limiter in park. I'm also surprised you could do that with just remote start.

Some vehicles will not pump/circulate trans fluid while idling engine in "P"... but does in "N".
Not sure about a newer 392 Wrangler?

Back