Let’s talk about OEM battery

Fast-n-Furious

Reaction score
So I took a look at the battery and couldn’t figure out the group and size. Mine has no tow package.

Jeep number 05033394AB

I traded in my 7 year old Jeep GC Summit for the 392, and I never had any issues with the battery. Good to know the options when we need to replace the 392 battery down the road.

Attachments

• 81480976-FF93-4709-9C32-A049CA6330B1.jpeg
    81480976-FF93-4709-9C32-A049CA6330B1.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 943
Last edited:
So I took a look at the battery and couldn’t figure out the group and size. Mine has no tow package.

Jeep number 05033394AB

I traded in my 7 year old Jeep GC Summit for the 392, and I never had any issues with the battery. Good to know the options when we need to replace the 392 battery down the road.
East Penn / Deka - the OEM battery manufacturer - lists the AGM 'Group 94R' (aka 'H7') battery for the the JLUR392 (700CCA original equipment battery).

I'm hoping with no auto start-stop that it lives a good long life...

East Penn / Deka - the OEM battery manufacturer - lists the AGM 'Group 94R' (aka 'H7') battery for the the JLUR392 (700CCA original equipment battery).

Thanks a lot man, super helpful! Google search didn’t get me any further initially, your answer nailed it!

It seems the JLUR 3.6 etorque with tow package uses the same battery. However, with no tow, it may be a group 48.

I’d be curious if the 392 regardless of tow package has the same battery specs.

Thanks a lot man, super helpful! Google search didn’t get me any further initially, your answer nailed it!

It seems the JLUR 3.6 etorque with tow package uses the same battery. However, with no tow, it may be a group 48.

I’d be curious if the 392 with tow package has this same one V.S. without the tow.
I have the tow package and it has the same 94R / H7 700CCA battery

Pretty sure the H7 I put in my GMC a couple of years ago is a 850 CCA (its very hard to read the label on that battery with all the stuff on top of it). We could do better.

I found this list of H7 batteries with 800/840/850/880 CCA that are known to fit but with removing the stay/cleat:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/🔋🔧-main-battery-replacement-talk-jl-jt.100534/

I have never found an online database that lists their battery compatible with a 392. I'm assuming because the model is new and should still be under Mopar warranty and very few parts stores have sold batteries for these.

I have never found an online database that lists their battery compatible with a 392. I'm assuming because the model is new and should still be under Mopar warranty and very few parts stores have sold batteries for these.
I tried the same but no match. Most of the battery search options don’t even list 392 motor. I guess not a lot people replace with aftermarket battery as you said the model is new.

Doing a quick search for 94r batteries lead me to a few LiON offerings on Amazon. They are advertising 1250ca (not to be confused with cca, which some of them do not list)

The price is steep... but at around 16 pounds versus 54-55 for a lead acid...

Has me wondering if it would be worth trying. Shaving weight is as good as adding horsepower.

Here's one I found: https://www.amazon.com/Powertex-Batteries-Lithium-Ion-LiFePO4-Automotive/dp/B09HN68DC7

Dumb question probably….but consider the source….what are the chances we have the same battery as the Ram trucks with the 6.4?

Doing a quick search for 94r batteries lead me to a few LiON offerings on Amazon. They are advertising 1250ca (not to be confused with cca, which some of them do not list)

The price is steep... but at around 16 pounds versus 54-55 for a lead acid...

Has me wondering if it would be worth trying. Shaving weight is as good as adding horsepower.

Here's one I found: https://www.amazon.com/Powertex-Batteries-Lithium-Ion-LiFePO4-Automotive/dp/B09HN68DC7
The weight is a good point. This OEM batter would be at least 45 lb? I found this lightweight one even with built-in jump starting: http://www.moes-performance.com/Antigravity_Lightweight_Lithium_Battery_40Ah_p/ag-h7-40-rs.htm

Last edited:
Dumb question probably….but consider the source….what are the chances we have the same battery as the Ram trucks with the 6.4?
I’d guess the Ram trucks come with regular battery but with higher CCA? Remember seeing the heavy duty 2500 with H7/94R, some folks upgraded to H8.

I’d guess the Ram trucks come with regular battery but with higher CCA? Remember seeing the heavy duty 2500 with H7/94R, some folks upgraded to H8.
Omg 1000$ battery That’s nuts 🥜

Last edited:
I have an April 2021 build and 5000 miles and I get the tell tale “Aux switch not available..” message on every start now. I put a Noco genius on it to see if there was a problem and the light went straight to green full charge. So not sure how long it will last. I am very easy on batteries, I traded my 2014 JKUR in on the 392 ,with the original battery and I have a 2016 3500 cummins with the original batteries in it. So not sure why the 392 battery is a problem. But I get the message every start now that it is cold out.

I have an April 2021 build and 5000 miles and I get the tell tale “Aux switch not available..” message on every start now. I put a Noco genius on it to see if there was a problem and the light went straight to green full charge. So not sure how long it will last. I am very easy on batteries, I traded my 2014 JKUR in on the 392 ,with the original battery and I have a 2016 3500 cummins with the original batteries in it. So not sure why the 392 battery is a problem. But I get the message every start now that it is cold out.
What typical battery voltage do you see while driving? I'm usually 14.2 - 14.4.

But this morning I noticed that the ECU ground wire that attaches to the BMS sensor appeared to be shorting across directly to the battery ground post. I moved it but haven't driven yet to see if anything changes...

But this morning I noticed that the ECU ground wire that attaches to the BMS sensor appeared to be shorting across directly to the battery ground post. I moved it but haven't driven yet to see if anything changes...
Yes I see the same. Seems to be a cold temp thing for me.

I’d be curious if the 392 regardless of tow package has the same battery specs.
Yes H7 in 392. Deka is garbage, a 392 deserves an Odysse and 700 cold cranking amps is perfect for a 4 banger and is the reason for the pre-mature failure

14.4 is max per the OEM battery so you're fine.

Attachments

• IMG_3574.jpg
    IMG_3574.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 25
If MOPAR is like BMW, the battery is treated like wipers. It’s a maintenance item and not covered under warranty.

Back