Exposed Oil Pan and Protruding Oil Pan Plug?

Hey. Thanks for replying. Good information and sounds like not much concern for any breakage.

Wow. Didn’t know the tail pipe skids were steel.

Can the tail pipe skids be purchased separately?

Would adding the tail pipe skids alone cause any significant imbalance?

Would they interfere/are they compatible with rear mud flaps?

👍
Maxx,
Yeah, a big chunk of our strength comes from the design of our skids to have pretty compact bends where rocks and such cant get leverage to assist in tearing apart the belly, but that rear bracket hangs low enough and needed to be shaped in such a way that it was going to be a failure point if left in aluminum. We've tried to think it out to where the stuff that needs to be steel is steel (crossmembers, mounting brackets, and those back tail skids) but also in a way where we can spread aluminum everywhere else liberally and without fear of adding too much weight. Aluminum is also way easier to countersink which is why most of the steel skids have bolt heads that protrude below the skids themselves where they can hang up on things and get damaged whereas its possible for us to get the bolts tucked up into a truly flat package. Tack on the UHMW and baby you got a slide going on.
We are currently focused on producing our full skid systems and are not offering just the exhaust skids at this time. That may be something we do in the future, but I can't speculate on when that might be.
I posed the mud flap question to our designer and the response was "If they interfere with our skid, then they would be interfering with the factory exhaust too." so yeah, they should be good to go on that front. If you do run mudflaps, then we definitely suggest the classy ones with the ladies on them for best fitment.
-Hunter @ NVM

Last edited:
I checked the aluminum oil pan part number 53011194 on my early model 392,
New Venture Motorsports is correct it does fit a TRX 6.2 Hemi and the 2021 3.0 V6 diesel. I also looked for a good 6.2 oil pan picture and really couldn't find a good one. But I did find a real good picture of a TRX 6.2 windage tray/gasket and it's different on the rear and missing 2 corner bolt hole's comparing it to the later steel oil pan #04893207AA all the other bolt holes appear to be the same. Not saying you can't make the later model steel oil pan work. The difference might be the 2 corner rear oil pan bolt holes are missing on the early model 392 block???

I checked the aluminum oil pan part number 53011194 on my early model 392,
New Venture Motorsports is correct it does fit a TRX 6.2 Hemi and the 2021 3.0 V6 diesel. I also looked for a good 6.2 oil pan picture and really couldn't find a good one. But I did find a real good picture of a TRX 6.2 windage tray/gasket and it's different on the rear and missing 2 corner bolt hole's comparing it to the later steel oil pan #04893207AA all the other bolt holes appear to be the same. Not saying you can't make the later model steel oil pan work. The difference might be the 2 corner rear oil pan bolt holes are missing on the early model 392 block???
Good to know, thanks for running that down. Y'all had me second guessing myself.
-Hunter @ NEXT Venture Motorsports

Look at the section about the oil pan in this article posted by @Big500 in another thread:

Seems like first 392 builds have a high performance oil pan, even though not the best option for offroading.

Look at the section about the oil pan in this article posted by @Big500 in another thread:

Seems like first 392 builds have a high performance oil pan, even though not the best option for offroading.

I’m scratchin’ my head and wondering, "What makes an oil pan a “high performance” oil pan?

I’m scratchin’ my head and wondering, "What makes an oil pan a “high performance” oil pan?
The way I understand it, the oil pan in our 392, and in the Challengers/Chargers, is designed to keep the oil where the oil pump is during fast and long cornering, which can also be beneficial for our 392s during off camber situations. The design of the forged aluminum oil pan probably prevents oil from sliding to the side and away from the oil pump that may occur in the "non-performance" or regular steel oil pan.

Last edited:
The way I understand it is the oil pan in our 392, and in the Challengers/Chargers, is designed to keep the oil where the oil pump is during fast and long cornering, which can also be beneficial for our 392s during off camber situations. The design of the forged aluminum oil pan probably prevents oil from sliding to the side and away from the oil pump that may occur in the "non-performance" or regular steel oil pan.
Thanks. That makes sense.

I agree. Jeep can’t fault you for attaching well-made under body protection; that would be my first choice. Question? Does a JL Rubicon V6 have more oil pan clearance than the 15 1/4” clearance on a Rubicon 392 with the new stamped steel oil pan?
I have a 2021 JLUR V6 MT - I will measure later today and report back. The 2022 392 XR has been on order for a month - hopefully it arrives Spring 2022.

It makes men who have it more attractive to women.

I've got the MetalCloak on order....under belly and muffler...
My MetalCloak belly skids just arrived. I hope I can install them myself! I am going to attempt.

I agree. Jeep can’t fault you for attaching well-made under body protection; that would be my first choice. Question? Does a JL Rubicon V6 have more oil pan clearance than the 15 1/4” clearance on a Rubicon 392 with the new stamped steel oil pan?
I stopped by my local Jeep dealer today and crawled under a 3.6 Rubicon and a 2.4 Rubicon to measure the oil pan clearance for a standard JL Rubicon. Here’s what I found:

JL Rubicon (both 3.6 and 2.0) Oil Pan Clearance = 14.5"
JL Rubicon 392 with Aluminum Oil Pan = 13.75"
JL Rubicon 392 with Stamped Steel Oil Pan = 15.25"

Although I don’t plan on any serious rock crawling I will likely install oil pan protection as soon as something comes available other than full body protection.

Thanks for the information. Are we sure moving forward Jeep will continue to use the steel pan or might they just be reacting to supply availability?

Thanks for the information. Are we sure moving forward Jeep will continue to use the steel pan or might they just be reacting to supply availability?
I have no idea if supply availability is an issue. If it is not, then cost may be the main incentive to install the Stamped Steel Oil Pan ($152) vs. the Aluminum Oil Pan ($802); followed by criticism of the depth of the Aluminum Oil Pan, which seemed to freak out the off-roading crowd as they clammer to find underbody protection. Just my thoughts....

I stumbled across a video showing a rear sump oil pan being installed on a 6.2 Hellcat all the oil pan bolt holes appear to be there on the block, I now believe all GEN III Hemi's have the same oil pan bolt pattern. Go to 9 minutes 30 seconds on the video and it shows the rear bolt holes being put back in service on the 6.2 Hellcat with a new rear sump oil pan. These bolt holes are not being used on the early model 392's with the aluminum pan, I believe we can use the steel pan #04893207AA that's on the later model 392's The later model 392 pan #04893207AA also fits the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi's on the RAM's 2500, 3500 Link to the video:
(those are the bolt holes I thought might be missing)

JL Rubicon (both 3.6 and 2.0) Oil Pan Clearance = 14.5"
JL Rubicon 392 with Aluminum Oil Pan = 13.75"
JL Rubicon 392 with Stamped Steel Oil Pan = 15.25"
Wow, I had never measured before. My LJR with 5 inches of lift and 35's has 20.25 inches of clearance at the oil pan.

Well I think that this will end this discussion once and for all unless there is something else that will prevent up or downgrading the aluminum oil pan once and for all. Took off the torque converter cover bracket and guess what? The missing bolt holes have been there all along!!!!

Attachments

• 20211201_085142.jpg
    20211201_085142.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 20211201_085223.jpg
    20211201_085223.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 20211201_085316.jpg
    20211201_085316.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Well I think that this will end this discussion once and for all unless there is something else that will prevent up or downgrading the aluminum oil pan once and for all. Took off the torque converter cover bracket and guess what? The missing bolt holes have been there all along!!!!
So, does this mean you can swap out the Aluminum Oil Pan for the Stamped Steel Oil Pan without any other changes? There was some discussion about the oil pump; whether or not the same pump would fit/work with the new oil pan.

Yep that answers the 2 rear bolt holes, I thought it was hard to believe Jeep could change the 2021 production run that fast from a aluminum to steel oil pan without it being something they had in the parts bin.
Also seeing the video of the 6.2 Hellcat with bolt holes there in the block being returned to service made me confident the 6.4 block had the oil pan bolt hole's and Gen III Hemi's Block's 5.7, 6.1, 6.2, 6.4 have the same oil pan bolt hole configuration.

So, does this mean you can swap out the Aluminum Oil Pan for the Stamped Steel Oil Pan without any other changes? There was some discussion about the oil pump; whether or not the same pump would fit/work with the new oil pan.
You're still going to need a new dip stick & tube, windage tray and pickup tube, new stand-off bolt, new main bolt and maybe more misc stuff.

You're still going to need a new dip stick & tube, windage tray and pickup tube, new stand-off bolt, new main bolt and maybe more misc stuff.
That sure makes an Oil Pan Skid Plate look more and more attractive. Unfortunately I don’t know of anybody making a stand alone Oil Pan Skid Plate for the 392. I contacted one of the manufacturer’s who told me they are selling plenty of full body skids and don’t plan to offer separate skids anytime soon.

Back