Exposed Oil Pan and Protruding Oil Pan Plug?

CBH

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2023 Ram Rebel G/T 2021 GLE 450
Is anyone (especially serious off-roaders) concerned about how exposed the oil pan and protruding oil pan plug are on the 392? I measure 13 3/4” clearance to the bottom of the oil plan plug. I don’t know of any company that has created a bracket to protect the oil pan on a Rubicon 392.

Attachments

• Oil Plug.jpeg
    Oil Plug.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Oil Pan.jpeg
    Oil Pan.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 419
I noticed the oil pan drain plug hanging down while installing the winch, what dumb A$$ engineer put that there to get ripped off while four wheeling? Not all 392'S will be be mall crawlers I plan to use mine off road.

Ugh. Another item that will need an aftermarket redesigned/upgraded part.

Attachments

• Oil Pan.jpeg
    Oil Pan.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 238
It isn’t. It’s a recessed plug that will provide more clearance for $1.73. Gets rid of the bolt head hanging down.

Should be correct, but double check the M14x1.5 sizing if purchasing.

Last edited:
Copy, thanks. Jeep verified my drain plug is also M14 x 1.5. I ordered 2 from ECS with crush washers. When they come in I’ll compare them with a Jeep drain plug; hopefully the threads will match in depth as well.

Great. Interested in hearing how it works out. Hope it helps. Should be a cheap and easy improvement.

Copy, thanks. Jeep verified my drain plug is also M14 x 1.5. I ordered 2 from ECS with crush washers. When they come in I’ll compare them with a Jeep drain plug; hopefully the threads will match in depth as well.
me as well.

I noticed the oil pan drain plug hanging down while installing the winch, what dumb A$$ engineer put that there to get ripped off while four wheeling? Not all 392'S will be be mall crawlers I plan to use mine off road.
This Jeep is obviously a prototype for evaluation and feedback from the public. Thoughts anyone?

Great. Interested in hearing how it works out. Hope it helps. Should be a cheap and easy improvement.
The (silver) MOPAR oil plug has 50% more thread depth than the (black) ECS oil plug; but when seated, the MOPAR oil plug does protrude 3/8” more than the ECS oil plug. I don’t know how to put this, but....the ECS oil plug just looks “inadequate” compared to the MOPAR oil plug. The other issues are service and warranty. If I install the the ECS oil plug and a Jeep technician does the oil change, he/she will have to deviate from tech procedures with different tools and unknown torque requirements....and if the ECS oil plug were to fail, I doubt the MOPAR warranty would cover damages. I’m gonna stay with MOPAR.

Attachments

• OilPlug1.jpg
    OilPlug1.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 103
  • OilPlug2.jpg
    OilPlug2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 109
  • OilPlug3.jpg
    OilPlug3.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 105
Is anyone (especially serious off-roaders) concerned about how exposed the oil pan and protruding oil pan plug are on the 392? I measure 13 3/4” clearance to the bottom of the oil plan plug. I don’t know of any company that has created a bracket to protect the oil pan on a Rubicon 392.
I'm working with a local company to make a skid plate that is only for the oil pan. It Will probably be aluminum and if they really like the design will release it. Once I see if it works and they give permission I'll post pics and their info.

What? No RockHard full underbelly coverage, exhaust system and oilpan?

Back