ECU Bracket replacement

Ron

Reaction score
Current Rides
Rubicon 392
Trying to find some info on what it takes to replace the ECU bracket.

I was installing the redline hood struts and had to modify the bracket and since I’m not that smart I didn’t do a very good job. I’ve already ordered the bracket just looking for anyone that has information on what it takes to replace this looking at the graphic, it’s kind of hard to tell what has to come out.

Thanks!

05043126AC

Attachments

• IMG_0188.png
    IMG_0188.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 57
Get the ECU out and it shouldn't be hard from there, when I changed the ECU I did it directly without removing anything, but I had my son helping me and he assisted by prying just enough to get it out...best I remember the bracket would be easy from there...use a cordless drill and the carbide burr mills below to modify the bracket to accommodate the lift cylinder...be careful they are aggressive and throw a lot of metal back at your face....safety glasses or shield is a must...
711bN1n64KL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Last edited:
I just did the Redlines last week. I was going to remove the bracket so that I did not need to modify it in place, but found that it was not super easy. I tried to get the ECU to let go, but it just would not. At best I think the battery would have to come out, maybe more.

I ended up blanketing the engine and fender with a moving blanket, then going full ham with a grinder on the bracket.

I ended up blanketing the engine and fender with a moving blanket, then going full ham with a grinder on the bracket.

That’s what I did. I just feel like I went a little too ham and may have grounded a little bit too thin. I can take a picture later, but I think there’s maybe less than a quarter of inch of material at the thinnest point.

Probably not worth worrying about and it’ll probably never go anywhere, but I’m a little bit weird with trying to make things perfect.

That’s what I did. I just feel like I went a little too ham and may have grounded a little bit too thin. I can take a picture later, but I think there’s maybe less than a quarter of inch of material at the thinnest point.

Probably not worth worrying about and it’ll probably never go anywhere, but I’m a little bit weird with trying to make things perfect.
You purchased the wrong brand if you are looking for perfect...lol...

I just left it in place and used a cutting wheel on a Dremel. Took 5 minutes and looks fine.
I did the same, a towel around the area and a quick cut. A little black paint for touch up and all set.

lol. It just bugs me that I went too far
I'm the same... my weapon of choice is the Dremel sanding drum I find that 60% of the time it works every time. I use the corse grit 408 drum attached that to the old Flex Shaft. Once you go flex shaft you'll never go back.

I left the bracket in place, put down a tea towel (fancy like) to catch the dust, and used some plumbers putty to figure out where the bracket was hitting and how much further I needed to grind down. I've never taken off the ECU bracket, wish I could help more. Let us know how it goes. Here is how mine turned out just for reference:
IMG_2698.jpeg

IMG_2734.JPG

You did a way better job than I did. I used a dremel too but I’m ashamed to post a pick now cause I was dumb and was reading where the interference was and ground out ALOT more left to right.

Fatal error @ user id:10t

You did a way better job than I did. I used a dremel too but I’m ashamed to post a pick now cause I was dumb and was reading where the interference was and ground out ALOT more left to right.

Build the area back up with some JB Weld Steel Stick. Sand it back to a manageable size and paint it.

I'm the same... my weapon of choice is the Dremel sanding drum I find that 60% of the time it works every time. I use the corse grit 408 drum attached that to the old Flex Shaft. Once you go flex shaft you'll never go back.

I left the bracket in place, put down a tea towel (fancy like) to catch the dust, and used some plumbers putty to figure out where the bracket was hitting and how much further I needed to grind down. I've never taken off the ECU bracket, wish I could help more. Let us know how it goes. Here is how mine turned out just for reference:
View attachment 34530
View attachment 34531
That drum is also great for taking calluses and weird crap off your hands and feet. Just keep the RPMs down.

maybe put some edge trim over the unsightly part?

Speaking of. I read a thread where someone put these struts on their 392 and it pushed his hood forward. I called BS but my hood is pretty far forward now and the spring under the front of the hood even catches on the trim. I would say that the hood sticks out 1/4 of an inch more than the rest of the front. Maybe I just didn't noticed this before?

Speaking of. I read a thread where someone put these struts on their 392 and it pushed his hood forward. I called BS but my hood is pretty far forward now and the spring under the front of the hood even catches on the trim. I would say that the hood sticks out 1/4 of an inch more than the rest of the front. Maybe I just didn't noticed this before?
That’s me!! 🤣🤣 good to know I am not the only one 🫣

I ran out to check mine. Seems OK to me. I even tried pushing it rearward to see if there was any movement. Maybe an adjustment and snugging up the hood mounts is in order for those having issues?

I took pics for reference:

IMG_3790.jpg
IMG_3791.jpg

Y
I ran out to check mine. Seems OK to me. I even tried pushing it rearward to see if there was any movement. Maybe an adjustment and snugging up the hood mounts is in order for those having issues?

I took pics for reference:

View attachment 34586View attachment 34587
Yep yours looks good.
Well I didn’t want to mess with hood bracket/hings bolts especially those on top are painted and am no expert in body panel alignment.

That’s me!! 🤣🤣 good to know I am not the only one 🫣
Did yours go back to normal once you removed? It doesn't make sense that it would if something isn't loose. Let me go get a picture of mine.
20240425_083933.jpg
20240425_083926.jpg

Did yours go back to normal once you removed? It doesn't make sense that it would if something isn't loose. Let me go get a picture of mine.
Yes it did go back to normal and perfectly aligned on all four corners.
I had exactly similar to your photos.
Just crossed my mind, that on 392 hoods one should be even more carful with alignment as hydro guide needs to be aligned with intake duct for proper seal and fit.

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back