At the risk of being boo'ed to "Bolivia", how many miles do you have? Problems? Mpg?

23XR with 6K miles. Took delivery in 12/22. Only issue so far is the transfer case shitting the bed at 3K miles and Thanos at the dealer for FOURTY-THREE DAYS.

I’ve owned four JLs and this is by far my favorite despite four doors.

Edit - 15 mpg with “37” KO2s and mostly Force RWD.

IMG_3177.jpeg

Last edited:
I know the risk I run but I am too curious after reading thread after thread. It seems like some have their fair share of issues, and some have had really great luck. Sounds like a solid vehicle compared to some other boards I've been on. As a new member, I am curious about your experiences.

How many miles do you have? Curious if anyone has put in a ton of miles, but not expecting much since the 392 run has been so short.

Have you had many issues?

I just got my rig recently and am only 100 miles into my journey and putzing around town I am seeing 11 mpg being a real light foot. I am surprised and amused at how bad that is. I thought I'd get the 13 as advertised at least. Let me know your experiences please.

Please and thank you.
I own a 2022 392 XR, and for the first year I really loved it. I still love it. I have less than 5000 miles on it because it’s used only locally and for short trips. Recently though, I started having issues with the transfer case, and it seems to be a persistent issue. It’s annoying me because the 392 has been at the dealer for the “Service 4WD/transfer case” issue a couple of times and for 7 weeks combined. It seems the dealer is busy and parts take a long time to arrive, so I haven’t been driving it. So, I hope this issue is resolved once and for all, but for some reason my gut tells me it’ll continue being an issue.

Regarding fuel consumption, again, most of the driving I do is locally here in the NYC area so I usually get terrible mileage. I’m averaging 9.5 mpg. It’s pretty bad, but I expected that with the 392 and the weight and shape of the vehicle, and I don’t drive much so I’m not always filling it up. It is what it is. It’s the price we pay to enjoy the performance and the sound of freedom that engine produces.

I really love the 392, but the transfer case issue is starting to annoy me. Hopefully, that’ll be resolved soon. Other than that, I haven’t had other issues.

23XR with 6K miles. Took delivery in 12/22. Only issue so far is the transfer case shitting the bed at 3K miles and Thanos at the dealer for FOURTY-THREE DAYS.

View attachment 33018
I feel your pain. I’m having the same issue with the transfer case and the time it’s spending at the dealer. I have a feeling the dealer isn’t “replacing” the transfer case with a new one, but trying to repair the existing one. I hope they resolve this issue, because it seems that a good number of 392 suffer from this same issue. It’s likely the 392 needs a different and more robust transfer case than it has.

21 non XR

70k miles, yes 70,000

Drive shaft replaced under warranty
Both fender liners replaced under warranty
Engine cover gold flake on 392 peeled, replaced under warranty
Power steering issue replaced fuse under warranty
4x4 issue, unclear but no longer after dealer visit and transmission fluid change

Coolant line blew, replaced

17 mpg cus I abused the hell out of it early and now she’s just my around town grocery getter nearly always in 4cylinder mode never gun it etc

I have had my 2024 for 6 months and put 5K miles on it. Over those 6 months I have averaged 12.8 MPG. However, I just returned from a week in Moab. The trip to Moab was 1100 miles each way and I played around with driving styles. I did one tank where I never exceeded 60 MPH and I averaged over 16 MPG. I also did a tank where I cruised at the Idaho/Utah speed limit of 80 MPH and that dropped the mileage to 13.5 MPG. Note that once I was on the trails in Moab, I averaged 7 MPG.

The only issue I have had in 5K miles (it is going to the dealer tomorrow) is the display gets into this mode where it blinks on and off every 2 seconds and the only way to stop it is turn the vehicle completely off then restart. Really annoying and totally unusable once in that mode.

Passenger side front. Been in the shop three times for it and nothing g has been done. Annoys the hell out of me and it’s all I can hear. Everything is fine under 55 but above that it starts. I’ve almost sold it twice because of it. However I always remember how special the truck is and stop myself from doing it.
It's funny how relative things are. I once sold a brand new BMW, after 6 months of ownership, because it had a slight wind noise around the passenger A-Pillar that drove me crazy.

With the SOT, 392 and 37s on the Jeep, I can't hear my radio, phone calls or the person next to me at highway speeds and it doesn't bother me at all.

8500 miles, zero issues, and I average 16.8mpg over the entire ownership of the vehicle and anywhere between 14-20 on highway driving. As it was mentioned there's a huge delta above 2krpm whatever speed that works out to with your wheels. On my last trip to Salton Sea I was able to get 22mpg average the entire 3 hour trip and when I filled my tank up was amazed it said 372 miles range.

I only use Shell Premium Fuel + Pennzoil OW-40 oil changed twice now. As some others have mentioned on the form, the factory PSI seems a bit high at 37 and I run 32 now about 35 when fully warmed up on the highway and this does not seem to have affected MPG at all but I do get 100% tire contact while hot using the dust or chalk test.

I haven't had any problems (at least not that I know of). The 392s do rattle and squeak a bit.

I don't drive much and the 392s are my extra vehicles. I drive around the city mostly. Due to the light use, gas mileage doesn't have a big effect on me, thankfully.

23 xr. 3300 miles. I have other vehicles and I only live about 12 mins from work so I dont need to drive a ton.

Only issue I have had is something is wonky with my proximity entry, so the dealer is putting a new handle on. sometimes id get out and my 4 ways kick on then shut off and i couldnt lock it. really weird.

i dont care about mpg. i didnt buy it for that.

23 7300 miles rear axe seal 13-16 definitely improved after breaking in only use top tier fuel. I think I got a bad tank of gas once I was only getting 11 I only buy chevron,Costco or Valero.

Got me hopeful for better numbers. Rear axle seal?? Hard use or not so much?

View attachment 33018
43 days??? WTF. That was one of the major things that gave me pause buying this vehicle, was the service department. I hope it was a one off experience.

I own a 2022 392 XR, and for the first year I really loved it. I still love it. I have less than 5000 miles on it because it’s used only locally and for short trips. Recently though, I started having issues with the transfer case, and it seems to be a persistent issue. It’s annoying me because the 392 has been at the dealer for the “Service 4WD/transfer case” issue a couple of times and for 7 weeks combined. It seems the dealer is busy and parts take a long time to arrive, so I haven’t been driving it. So, I hope this issue is resolved once and for all, but for some reason my gut tells me it’ll continue being an issue.

Regarding fuel consumption, again, most of the driving I do is locally here in the NYC area so I usually get terrible mileage. I’m averaging 9.5 mpg. It’s pretty bad, but I expected that with the 392 and the weight and shape of the vehicle, and I don’t drive much so I’m not always filling it up. It is what it is. It’s the price we pay to enjoy the performance and the sound of freedom that engine produces.

I really love the 392, but the transfer case issue is starting to annoy me. Hopefully, that’ll be resolved soon. Other than that, I haven’t had other issues.
Thanks for sharing that. Did they give you any sort of reasoning on whats going on? Maybe try another dealer?

21 non XR

70k miles, yes 70,000

Drive shaft replaced under warranty
Both fender liners replaced under warranty
Engine cover gold flake on 392 peeled, replaced under warranty
Power steering issue replaced fuse under warranty
4x4 issue, unclear but no longer after dealer visit and transmission fluid change

Coolant line blew, replaced

17 mpg cus I abused the hell out of it early and now she’s just my around town grocery getter nearly always in 4cylinder mode never gun it etc

Thanks for sharing. That list.. more than I expected to see. Glad it was at least warranty work.

8500 miles, zero issues, and I average 16.8mpg over the entire ownership of the vehicle and anywhere between 14-20 on highway driving. As it was mentioned there's a huge delta above 2krpm whatever speed that works out to with your wheels. On my last trip to Salton Sea I was able to get 22mpg average the entire 3 hour trip and when I filled my tank up was amazed it said 372 miles range.

I only use Shell Premium Fuel + Pennzoil OW-40 oil changed twice now. As some others have mentioned on the form, the factory PSI seems a bit high at 37 and I run 32 now about 35 when fully warmed up on the highway and this does not seem to have affected MPG at all but I do get 100% tire contact while hot using the dust or chalk test.
Incredible post. Thank you for this. Gives me hope for a healthy vehicle and better mpg. I appreciate the tips. I didn't think going that low on tire pressure was a thing but now I feel like I should give it a go. Any downsides going down in pressure? Upside being the ride quality?

Got me hopeful for better numbers. Rear axle seal?? Hard use or not so much?
Rear axel seal passenger side. This is very common on the JT I think there is a recall on some of them. When I went into the dealership they didn’t even look at it they said we have an axel assembly in stock we can replace it now. I made an appointment for the next day. The seal the axel the bearing the retainer. Replaced as one piece. As I said Service writer didn’t look at it and then said there will probably be a recall like on the Jeep truck. I had just lifted it and started doing some more difficult trails so I would say not a lot of off road use. I talked to the mechanic he thinks maybe the seal just wasn’t properly pressed on all the way.

Incredible post. Thank you for this. Gives me hope for a healthy vehicle and better mpg. I appreciate the tips. I didn't think going that low on tire pressure was a thing but now I feel like I should give it a go. Any downsides going down in pressure? Upside being the ride quality?
No downsides that I can tell. Only 2 noticeable differences IMHO. Small cracks on the road are less noticeable, and the carpool lanes' giant crack doesn't tramline me as much.

- No difference in MPG after 3 tanks of fuel buddy logs before/after + monitoring onboard mpg
- No feeling of drag
- Doesn't feel floaty or loose
- Doesn't feel like it "rolls over"

I'll continue to monitor the tire health over time and look for any indication that it is in fact too low. After another few thousand miles just to be sure I'll take measurements with a tread depth tool and look for signs of unequal wear. This is completely ridiculous, and unnecessary to be completely frank... But, I love me some science and data points are a great way to make mechanical decisions. 🍻

No downsides that I can tell. Only 2 noticeable differences IMHO. Small cracks on the road are less noticeable, and the carpool lanes' giant crack doesn't tramline me as much.

- No difference in MPG after 3 tanks of fuel buddy logs before/after + monitoring onboard mpg
- No feeling of drag
- Doesn't feel floaty or loose
- Doesn't feel like it "rolls over"

I'll continue to monitor the tire health over time and look for any indication that it is in fact too low. After another few thousand miles just to be sure I'll take measurements with a tread depth tool and look for signs of unequal wear. This is completely ridiculous, and unnecessary to be completely frank... But, I love me some science and data points are a great way to make mechanical decisions. 🍻
So awesome. I appreciate you sharing this. I look forward to reading about what you find in the future, if you post about it.

43 days??? WTF. That was one of the major things that gave me pause buying this vehicle, was the service department. I hope it was a one off experience.
I had a really bad service advisor to the point where I switched them. Only went to this dealer as my preferred one didn’t have a tranny advisor.

He must have been an owner’s kid. I’d call and he’d have no record of my vehicle. He found it after I threatened to call the cops. Think I ended up speaking with the service manager.

First transfer case was supposedly “lost in shipment”. No loaner. Luckily I have an extra Jeep.

Won’t publicly shame. PM me if you’re getting service in Denver.

I had a really bad service advisor to the point where I switched them. Only went to this dealer as my preferred one didn’t have a tranny advisor.

He must have been an owner’s kid. I’d call and he’d have no record of my vehicle. He found it after I threatened to call the cops. Think I ended up speaking with the service manager.

First transfer case was supposedly “lost in shipment”. No loaner. Luckily I have an extra Jeep.

Won’t publicly shame. PM me if you’re getting service in Denver.
Bummer

Back