Spring compressor

Earl 392

Reaction score
Current Rides
Earl 2023 Jlu 392
What’s the best coil spring compressor to use ? I see on Amazon for 29 dollars looks nice
Will probably only use a few times or lend out one or twice seems easier than removing everything just to add some shims or coil pads thanks. I like quality tools but not everything has to be snap on.

What’s the best coil spring compressor to use ? I see on Amazon for 29 dollars looks nice
Will probably only use a few times or lend out one or twice seems easier than removing everything just to add some shims or coil pads thanks. I like quality tools but not everything has to be snap on.

These coil spring compressors from Amazon worked for me.
61heZjoURHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Never needed those for anything on a Jeep. The springs just fall out…

I like them because it seems you can get away with disconnecting less shtuff to get the springs out.

Last edited:
I originally tried to swap the springs by disconnecting the sway bars and shocks but didn’t work out well because I only had one corner jacked up and couldn’t droop the rear axle low enough.

Now I’m thinking about coil compressor too to make my life easier. I had always considered it’s dangerous to use coil compressors.

Looking at the Harbor Freight set: https://www.harborfreight.com/macpherson-strut-spring-compressor-set-63262.html

I originally tried to swap the springs by disconnecting the sway bars and shocks but didn’t work out well because I only had one corner jacked up and couldn’t droop the rear axle low enough.

Now I’m thinking about coil compressor too to make my life easier. I had always considered it’s dangerous to use coil compressors.

Looking at the Harbor Freight set: https://www.harborfreight.com/macpherson-strut-spring-compressor-set-63262.html

Safer and much quicker than ratchet straps I have fought with over the years to hold springs compressed.

Safer and much quicker than ratchet straps I have fought with over the years to hold springs compressed.
Some guys at the auto store call the coil compressor “widowmaker”. That in my mind for a long time. :D

I've used a similar set many times to help get springs in and out. Remember that you do not need to compress the spring completely..... only just enough to get it in or out, usually just a few inches and not a ton of tension gets built up.

Sometimes I've used just on of the compressor tools to bend the spring a bit, helping compress and arc it to make it fit better into a tight spot.

I've used a similar set many times to help get springs in and out. Remember that you do not need to compress the spring completely..... only just enough to get it in or out, usually just a few inches and not a ton of tension gets built up.

Sometimes I've used just on of the compressor tools to bend the spring a bit, helping compress and arc it to make it fit better into a tight spot.
If I were to use coil compressors, do you think I won’t need to unbolt the lower shocks and sway bars and the track bar frame mount bolt? I’m planning to Jack up the frame tall enough so I don’t need to take the tires off.

Some guys at the auto store call the coil compressor “widowmaker”. That in my mind for a long time. :D
Yup, it’s kinda like staring down the barrel of a loaded gun and seeing how far you dare to pull the trigger.
As mentioned before you will probably be fine compressing an inch or so (pucker factor should also increase exponentially) but anymore than that you might wanna make sure the medical insurance is up to snuff.
Honestly I think it would take longer to fiddle with these and increase the pucker factor more than just disconnecting everything and dropping the axle. To each his own.
As a parting suggestion, don’t buy the cheapest option. Cheap tools that utilize a threaded rod to apply force generally don’t last long. They use softer materials and during operation the threads are easily galled under loads. I’m not saying you should buy the thousand dollar gold plated Gucci/Snap On set with matching designer carrying case but don’t buy the $5 垃圾工具公司 made with pot metal. Go with the middle of the road set and use some lube on the threads.

Yup, it’s kinda like staring down the barrel of a loaded gun and seeing how far you dare to pull the trigger.
As mentioned before you will probably be fine compressing an inch or so (pucker factor should also increase exponentially) but anymore than that you might wanna make sure the medical insurance is up to snuff.
Honestly I think it would take longer to fiddle with these and increase the pucker factor more than just disconnecting everything and dropping the axle. To each his own.
As a parting suggestion, don’t buy the cheapest option. Cheap tools that utilize a threaded rod to apply force generally don’t last long. They use softer materials and during operation the threads are easily galled under loads. I’m not saying you should buy the thousand dollar gold plated Gucci/Snap On set with matching designer carrying case but don’t buy the $5 垃圾工具公司 made with pot metal. Go with the middle of the road set and use some lube on the threads.
Yes. I agree and I still don’t have the guts to go too far with the compressors. Feeling more comfortable with those bolts.

Yes. I agree and I still don’t have the guts to go too far with the compressors. Feeling more comfortable with those bolts.
Seems like full sag(topped out ) shock in place sway bar un bolted it wouldn’t be more than a few inches on the MC 3 1/2 inch lift just to slip in isolation pad or 1/8 inch shim . Old LJ yes coil would be free to move around different animals thanks to all who have responded .
I agree I wouldn’t want to walk around with a fully compressed spring in the garage . Like you said loaded gun hair trigger..

FWIW, I just used spring compressors to remove the springs to add correction pads. The only things I unbolted was the lower shock mount, lower bump stop extension pads, and swaybar endlinks.

FWIW, I just used spring compressors to remove the springs to add correction pads. The only things I unbolted was the lower shock mount, lower bump stop extension pads, and swaybar endlinks.
How much did you have to compress the spring ,which tool did you use?

My experience is not specific to the 392 or even the JL platform. So, I really do not have the answer you need. But I've done it on JKs and TJs, and even a ZJ.

The ones I have are easily 30 years old. They came from Carquest back in the day and look like these:

1714136918443.png

But.... Lisle has a set that lock onto the spring coil. If I were doing such today, I might buy these, as it seems less likely to let go and spring a guy into the hospital:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-62300-MacPherson-Strut-Tool/dp/B000COA1F8

1714137019899.png

My experience is not specific to the 392 or even the JL platform. So, I really do not have the answer you need. But I've done it on JKs and TJs, and even a ZJ.

The ones I have are easily 30 years old. They came from Carquest back in the day and look like these:

View attachment 34633

But.... Lisle has a set that lock onto the spring coil. If I were doing such today, I might buy these, as it seems less likely to let go and spring a guy into the hospital:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-62300-MacPherson-Strut-Tool/dp/B000COA1F8

View attachment 34634
Thanks

Not sure on how much. I put them in as soon as there’s enough space for the pawls to get in and continue lowering til the springs come out. Don’t have to tighten very much.

Mine look like this
IMG_6445.jpeg

I swapped the coil springs today, jack stands and home made wheel cribs worked like a charm and I didn't even take the tires off. Just need to unbolt lower shock bolts and sway bar bolts, had to unbolt the rear trackbar bolt too. No coil compressors and much safer.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 10.51.15 PM.png

Just get the loaner set from auto zone. Not the best out there but they work and are the free-est set out there!

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back