On Board Air Compressor Recommendations

averyh45

Reaction score
Current Rides
2024 Jeep Wrangler 392
I found a couple posts but wanted to get some ideas before I make a decision. What air compressor did you buy, where did you mount it, and how difficult was it to wire it? Can this be wired to the aux button? (I am not a DIY guy so please don't judge)

The ARB twin on board compressor has good reviews and is $615. Mopar gate compressor is $200 more. Thoughts? Install difficulty?

100% arb twin. Easy install I didn’t do a AUX switch and installed a switch by the compressor. Install is not bad at all. I went with the innovative AT Bluetooth system and it’s perfect. Kraken seems solid as well but the “lottery back order” is not for me

100% arb twin. Easy install I didn’t do a AUX switch and installed a switch by the compressor. Install is not bad at all. I went with the innovative AT Bluetooth system and it’s perfect. Kraken seems solid as well but the “lottery back order” is not for me
Thank you sir!

I just finished installing a Thor's Lightening this morning. I am going to make an install video. I like the location of kit and the speed of fill but no long term experience.

I use an ARB twin with a M.O.R.E. mount that mounts the compressor on the left side of the body tub right behind the rear seat. The compressor is fast and reliable, it is protected from the elements, and easy to reach. The M.O.R.E. kit includes a switch mount to install the ARB switch.

3 ARB twins.

2024 Rubicon X it's mounted under the power brake Booster and above the fender liner.

2023 392, mounted under the seat.

TRX, mounted in the engine bay.

Wiring isn't difficult but the longer you go, the more difficult the install.

I honestly like both options in the Jeeps and I don't like the one in the engine bay. I sold the TRX so it doesn't matter now.

You can't hook the main power to the AUX, it has to go to the battery but you can turn it on and off via an AUX, that is how I do it.

The ARB twin was my choice as well. I also went with the Epic Kraken install kit, under the passenger seat, along with the Bluetooth control option, also from Epic.

The twin has two power wires, both with 40a inline fuses (ARB supplies the harness and uses the giant Maxi Fuses, with the giant holders too).

You can take that right up to the battery positive, which was how I initially did it.

Recently though, I decided to clean up the wiring to the battery, and brought the ARB harness back into the cabin. I cut off those giant fuse holders, and wired the power to Aux 1 & 2, since each one is fused at 40a.

Now when I need the ARB, I turn on Aux 1 & 2, and also flip the switch from the Kraken kit. Works well, no issues.

This probably isn’t preferred for most, but I added an Alpha12 switch bank, so my OEM aux switches were free for this setup.

YMMV.

On a '24 392 with power seats, your options are limited. I went with an ARB twin because it's relatively fast for larger tires, is very reliable, and worked perfectly on my JK with 37s. I don't have any experience with the ARB single that MOPAR uses on the tailgate, but it has to be slow, and I don't like slow :p.
I like the Innovative AT Products and Kraken mounting solutions for the ARB twin because they put it under the passenger seat where it's out of the way and protected. I chose the Innovative AT that was just updated for the '24 because it's made by a small American business, the owner is responsive and helpful, their product seems well designed with limited branding, and the price is tough to beat. The compressor is typically triggered from one of your aux switches, but you still have to run power wires under the floor and up inside of the engine bay to the battery (unless you do something like what redbeard719 did). The wiring is not that hard and you should be able to do it yourself. If you are just starting to do some of your own mods, I think this is a good one to start with.

This is the Refuge mount from Thor's Lightning (also going to post on what did you do to your Jeep today):

IMG_7541-L.jpg

Last edited:
This is the Refuge mount from Thor's Lightening (also going to post on what did you do to your Jeep today):

IMG_7541-L.jpg
I looked into that for the 392 since one of my buddies run it on his TRX but it is just too massive and I don't like the location in the Jeep. Powerful compressor though. Did you get the one that stops at a set pressure?

I looked into the Refuge once before, but I didn’t want to be limited for removing the hardtop.

There’s only a few location options with the 392. Under the seat just seemed to fit best for us.

That Thor compressor is another nice option though.

This is the Refuge mount from Thor's Lightening (also going to post on what did you do to your Jeep today):

IMG_7541-L.jpg

That’s nice, however can’t use if you install JL Audio stealth sub on driver side. Always something.
May opt for Thor portable.

I looked into that for the 392 since one of my buddies run it on his TRX but it is just too massive and I don't like the location in the Jeep. Powerful compressor though. Did you get the one that stops at a set pressure?
Yep, got the one that stops. I know a few companies are selling the same compressor including a local (Sacramento) company, Morrflate. So far there has been good feedback from everyone. I am looking forward to giving it a try.
It is easy to remove from the location it installs because just two hardtop bolts hold it in place and the electrical connection is Anderson plugs.

Yep, got the one that stops. I know a few companies are selling the same compressor including a local (Sacramento) company, Morrflate. So far there has been good feedback from everyone. I am looking forward to giving it a try.
It is easy to remove from the location it installs because just two hardtop bolts hold it in place and the electrical connection is Anderson plugs.
Yep, I don't think it work's with the SOT like mine.

Been researching this myself. What will your main use for the air be? If it’s just to air up, I’d look at the Kraken setup with the ARB dual. It Installs under the passenger seat with air ports on both the driver and passenger side for ease of filling. Install doesn’t look too bad. Down side is it’s over $900 once you’re all in.

I would highly recommend AT innovations kit, Tony is a great guy to work with. I was originally looking at the Kraken but the price for shipping from canada alone and when I found out they bought his kit years ago and then made a knock off, well thats lame and not someone I want to support. The install was super siimple, I wired to my Aux 4 switch and bought the Bluetooth version. It seemed unnecessary but after using it for the last 7 days in Death Valley where I was airing up 2-4 times a day it was a game changer. The other jeeps I was with had Single compressors like the Thor or similar. I have two settings in my phone, one is "off road" which once all four lines are hooked up airs all four tires to 16psi, and another "on road" which airs them up to 34. Link below, his kits with the ARB twin is cheaper than buying it from somewhere else and Tony has top notch customer service.

I would highly recommend AT innovations kit, Tony is a great guy to work with. I was originally looking at the Kraken but the price for shipping from canada alone and when I found out they bought his kit years ago and then made a knock off, well thats lame and not someone I want to support. The install was super siimple, I wired to my Aux 4 switch and bought the Bluetooth version. It seemed unnecessary but after using it for the last 7 days in Death Valley where I was airing up 2-4 times a day it was a game changer. The other jeeps I was with had Single compressors like the Thor or similar. I have two settings in my phone, one is "off road" which once all four lines are hooked up airs all four tires to 16psi, and another "on road" which airs them up to 34. Link below, his kits with the ARB twin is cheaper than buying it from somewhere else and Tony has top notch customer service.

All of the Thor/Morrflate/Napa compressors (same zebra different stripes) as far as I know are dual compressors.

I use an ARB twin with a M.O.R.E. mount that mounts the compressor on the left side of the body tub right behind the rear seat. The compressor is fast and reliable, it is protected from the elements, and easy to reach. The M.O.R.E. kit includes a switch mount to install the ARB switch.
How did the M.O.R.E. bracket Install go? I see it requires wedging the bracket between the Jeep body and the Hard Top. Concerned about the thick bracket causing leaks at this seal point.
Thanks!

100% agree. I went with AT for the same reasons, I don't appreciate knockoffs. I don't have bluetooth version though - mine is installed under passenger seat and wired to the aux switch. Love it!

Back