Rear axel

Earl 392

Reaction score
Current Rides
Earl 2023 Jlu 392
I went to the dealership Monday morning 0800 December 11th to talk with service department about right rear axel seal leaking. I was kindly greeted they didn’t even look at where the leak was and said we have an entire axe assembly bearing spacer seal and retainer and they would simply swap out the parts. This is mind blowing to me. Then I was told at this time there is no recall on the 23 392 however the JT has one all on the right rear side. Then they said we think it’s an issue with the said parts not being properly pressed together. So I said you want to do it now? They said yep then I said what about my next Venture diff skid? Oh they said might have to charge me to remove and replace. So I went home removed it replaced stock bolts. Came back at 0730 today December 12th dropped it off got a free loaner 👍. I figured they would be removing diff cover and be replacing diff fluid $51 qrt. Nope they didn’t drain the diff.fill hole is lower than axel tube . And no clip to remove on our Dana 44as in early years 4 hours later phone call Earl is ready. Loading up the Jeep getting ready to leave and the mechanic comes running up and says oh sorry here is your splined lug wheel lock key. I had left a note to remind myself not to leave without it. Anyway it was the mechanic who told me it wasn’t necessary to remove diff cover. Wouldn’t it have been nice if they would have @#$&*$#@ told me that the day b4 I could have been done the same day. They have been doing recalls doesn’t any body ask any questions? And what just hire anybody for anything. I’m happy they were there. The mechanic works on all the 392’s he was great. Oh well I was hoping for free diff oil change didn’t happen. apparently the right side is what is called the long axel. Mine only leaked after a off road low range expedition. Might have been caused increased torque. Thanks Earl out

My 21 392 had to have the right rear axle replaced at app 6,000 miles. Strange…it sure sounds like there’s a potential recall needed. I’ve read about others having the same issue. I just traded for a 24 392 less than two weeks ago. I’m hoping they corrected whatever the issue was. I’m thinking yes since the rear axles are different.

Glad everything worked out at the end.

My 21 392 had to have the right rear axle replaced at app 6,000 miles. Strange…it sure sounds like there’s a potential recall needed. I’ve read about others having the same issue. I just traded for a 24 392 less than two weeks ago. I’m hoping they corrected whatever the issue was. I’m thinking yes since the rear axles are different.
Yes mine was also 6040 miles. Did you notice it after off-roading and if so did you use 4low?

JT's have a recall on this...

Yes mine was also 6040 miles. Did you notice it after off-roading and if so did you use 4low?
I didn’t notice at all - the dealership found it during routine maintenance. It may have been caused by off-roading, but I never used 4 low.

A “recall” is typical of anything related to safety. Axle seals most commonly fall under service bulletins. When the dealer has parts in stock, it’s a common issue. Experienced the same with my dodge Ram.

Back