Oil Catch Can

Bro, no one believes that 20mpg number, at least use a semi-believable number if you're going to fib about your MPGs. 🤣

What part of diminishing MPGs did you miss and why?!!?

Last edited:
Bro, no one believes that 20mpg number, at least use a semi-believable number if you're going to fib about your MPGs. 🤣
What part of diminishing MPGs did you miss?! BRO!!!!

Last edited:
When I first picked my vehicle up from the dealer in Michigan (650 feet above sea level) during the break in period I got 400 miles before my first refill approximately 20 MPG running on 93 octane and stock tires. On my trip back to Arizona I continued to get 20 MPG until I hit New Mexico where 93 octane was no longer available and the altitude began to increase my mileage dropped to 17 - 18 MPG between fillups and continued to drop with continued increase in altitude until it settled down to 15 MPG where I live in Arizona which is about 4500 feet above sea level. Putting 37" tires on without changing the gearing (still have 3.83s with a Tazer Mini to adjust for tire size) cost me another 3 MPG around town so I usually run 11 - 12 MPG now. On highway trips to Tucson or Phoenix I can get close to 15 MPG.
Thanks

Because blow-by, is totally up to you whether you think it needs it or not but I personally would rather not have that oil mixture in places where it doesn't belong. I will say it's def a bigger issue on Supercharged applications but these HEMIs still collect a good bit.

That was my wife's 392. I just did another oil change on it last week and same amount of oil in it.
OK, but it's still a port injected engine. Fuel is sprayed into the intake manifold, that should wash off any oil and prevent buildup unlike DI.

I’m running a catch can. It’s typically about half full (or half empty? 🤣) when I empty it right before an oil change at about every 4,500mi/6mo. To me venting the PCV into the intake manifold is an environmental decision not an engineering improvement. Regardless of the port injectors cleaning the valves with fuel, it can’t be beneficial for the engine. The best case scenario is that it has no ill effect, but why not remove those contaminants early. Also you can inspect the contents of the catch can as an indication of how much oil is being ventilated and what condition that oil is in. It was a very easy addition and other than emptying it and the purchase cost, I can’t see any downside. Personally I remove and clean it when taking it in to the dealer for service.

Why does a port injected engine need a catch can?
I thought this dead horse was laid to rest years ago… Here is photo of the amount of oil that the catch can collected in my most recent 1000 mile drain at 26K miles. Better caught in the can than sucked into the intake to collect on the backside of the intake valves.

Attachments

• IMG_4077.jpeg
    IMG_4077.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4075.jpeg
    IMG_4075.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Out of all the useless accessories people put on Jeeps I find it hard to believe that a $200 catch can is so controversial. The catch can I installed was the easiest and cheapest mod I have done. Is it 100% necessary? No, but after emptying mine a few times and seeing what it kept out of the intake I find it hard to believe it was a waste of money. Will it be beneficial to the life of the engine? Only time will tell.

to each his own

I thought this dead horse was laid to rest years ago… Here is photo of the amount of oil that the catch can collected in my most recent 1000 drain at 26K miles. Better caught in the can than sucked into the intake to collect on the backside of the intake valves.
The oil isn't the problem. Where it's ending up on DI engines is.

Out of all the useless accessories people put on Jeeps I find it hard to believe that a $200 catch can is so controversial. The catch can I installed was the easiest and cheapest mod I have done. Is it 100% necessary? No, but after emptying mine a few times and seeing what it kept out of the intake I find it hard to believe it was a waste of money. Will it be beneficial to the life of the engine? Only time will tell.

to each his own
Well stated.
FWIW - I am happy with UPR.

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back