Traction control button

Idaho392

Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Rubicon 392, 2021 RAM 1500 Limited
Just discovered today that if you hold the traction control button down for about 5 seconds, it turns off ALL the control features… and it “seemed” to make it RWD only. I was able to spin cookies in a parking lot without an issue. We just got 6” of snow today. LOL

Is this a documented feature?? Or another hidden gem from Jeep??

Woah! Sounds like a hidden feature.

Reactions: cgr
I don’t have my 392 yet and I found this video that explains in 4H mode when you press traction control off button for 5 seconds, it turns off ESC.

I know 392 only has 4H auto rather than the traditional 2H and 4H, this video may still give us some insights.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJP
Holding the button down for a few seconds is a feature on the JK also. I have no idea about 2wd but I have been amazed at how many JK owners dont know they can disable it all, some will run any dirt road in 4lo because that also turns off all traction control. My LJR has none of that shit at all and I prefer it that way but cant deny the attraction to the 392!

Def knew about it on my JKU. But hoping for a way, without a Tazer, to go 2wd. But I think there is nothing going to the front anyway. But not 100% sure.

Soooo…I just went and gave this a try. I do have a Tazer but did NOT force RWD. I’ve Brake Torque Launched many times with no problem. I recommend doing a torque launch if you haven’t tried. This time I held the traction control button until basically everything electronic turned off, 3-5 seconds. Then, tried to hold brake pressure to activate the torque launch but the rear wheels just started spinning! So I just went ahead and smoked them off the line…37x13.5 btw. Clearly went into RWD, not possible in AWD. Roads are completely dry here in Houston area.
You do have to turn the Jeep off then on to disengage this beast mode.

Is this a tazer feature or any 392, even without tazer?
I’m pretty sure it’s any 392. Only problem I see with it is the ABS is also turned off. The Tazer lets you only force RWD but maintain some of the other safety features. I did not engage my Tazer today.

That’s awesome. I’m kind of shocked Jeep hid an Easter egg like this to force 2wd. I have the tazer, but haven’t messed around with 2wd at all. It was just a couple weeks ago that I discovered off-road plus, and the performance it adds on hwy - shifts are truly snappy!

Does the off road plus mode work in 4 Auto? In the other engine choices, I dont think its available in 2wd.

Yes, it does. It kicks off traction control, but you can turn it right back on. Off-road plus in 4 auto keeps the gear a little lower, so you stay in the power band and gear shifts are much snappier and sound incredible. Feels like a true sport mode.

Considering the “transfer case” utilizing a torque vectoring clutch pack, it may not prompt the system to engage the front drive shaft with TC off. Not sure, but it would make sense.

or, just install a Tazer Mini. 🤓

Hmmmmm this could be interesting, I'm going to try it tonight after work and will report my findings.

Pushed the button for 5 seconds, remembered that from my old JK. Didn't do a burnout but it's snowing and I can kick the back out fairly easily, doesn't feel like its in the "4 auto mode". I can't be the only idiot around here that enables 2WD once it snows just for kicks....

Pushed the button for 5 seconds, remembered that from my old JK. Didn't do a burnout but it's snowing and I can kick the back out fairly easily, doesn't feel like its in the "4 auto mode". I can't be the only idiot around here that enables 2WD once it snows just for kicks....
Are you kidding! I am back in high schooler mode every time I am by myself in snow! I have a pick up with open diff and no traction controls or abs. There is nothing better in the snow. Hated my JKUR in the snow until I found the 5 second rule on the esc button! Can’t wait till the newness of the new Jl wears off and I take it out in the snow. Lucky for me I live at 8000’ above sea level.

Okay you guys got me off the couch to try this. Had to know. I did not find it allows 2wd mode. Mine disables collision and esc control but still sends power to the front wheels. Even took it off the pavement to be sure.

Okay you guys got me off the couch to try this. Had to know. I did not find it allows 2wd mode. Mine disables collision and esc control but still sends power to the front wheels. Even took it off the pavement to be sure.
This is what I had expected would happen.

Well shit, I’ll go try mine off road tomorrow. Not sure how my rear tires were spinning through my brake hold. I guess with the traction control off it’s got enough power to turn through rear brakes but not enough to push through front brakes? It wouldn’t let me get into torque launch mode. I’ll go try and break something tomorrow.

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back