THE LEAN

Earl 392

Reaction score
Current Rides
Earl 2023 Jlu 392
Any body who has done a MC 3 1/2 inch lift does your Jeep have a slight lean to the passenger side.
Much more pronounced with a full tank of gas.in fact when tank is low it’s just about perfectly level.I have noticed a few others one is a 22 diesel. The lean is about an inch measuring from floor to bottom of front door hinge pin. I am thinking of adding 1 Mc 1/8 th inch rear coil spring spacer to off set the gangster lean. Interested to hear back . Thanks

Hi Earl,
My buddy has the MC lift, with the 3.6 engine, and hay does not sag… but it certainly is possible.

Alternatively, this could also be a sign that your shock needs to be serviced. Assuming nothing is leaking - you may just have a shock that is low on nitrogen.

What shocks are you running?

Any body who has done a MC 3 1/2 inch lift does your Jeep have a slight lean to the passenger side.
Much more pronounced with a full tank of gas.in fact when tank is low it’s just about perfectly level.I have noticed a few others one is a 22 diesel. The lean is about an inch measuring from floor to bottom of front door hinge pin. I am thinking of adding 1 Mc 1/8 th inch rear coil spring spacer to off set the gangster lean. Interested to hear back . Thanks
Possibility that from what Ive read (the rears are two different lengths
got lucky didn’t know) they are installed wrong?

Some manufacturers have different length springs on each side (Synergy), but Metalcloak does not. And they lean to the passenger side because that side is heavier. I added the 1/8" Metalcloak spacers, and it did not make a noticeable difference. I then took out the Metalcloak spacers and added a 3/4" coil spring spacer in the right rear and a 1/2" coil spring spacer in the right front. That fixed the lean on my Metalcloak 2 1/2" lift.

Some manufacturers have different length springs on each side (Synergy), but Metalcloak does not. And they lean to the passenger side because that side is heavier. I added the 1/8" Metalcloak spacers, and it did not make a noticeable difference. I then took out the Metalcloak spacers and added a 3/4" coil spring spacer in the right rear and a 1/2" coil spring spacer in the right front. That fixed the lean on my Metalcloak 2 1/2" lift.
Thanks

I feel like my Jeep(Teraflex 3.5) leans the same way. It is difficult to measures it but it looks like it does. I also have a "springing sound" coming from the front driver's side. Yesterday when I got out to air back up, I heard a loud pop come from my Jeep when it was just sitting there. It almost seemed like something was in a bind and popped back into place. It drove totally normal on the 2 hour trip home. I guess will run it by the shop.

I feel like my Jeep(Teraflex 3.5) leans the same way. It is difficult to measures it but it looks like it does. I also have a "springing sound" coming from the front driver's side. Yesterday when I got out to air back up, I heard a loud pop come from my Jeep when it was just sitting there. It almost seemed like something was in a bind and popped back into place. It drove totally normal on the 2 hour trip home. I guess will run it by the shop.
Check the inside of spring coils where it might rub against the bump stop joust . I put some tape on the coils to see if under articulation where the possible rub might be. Bottom of front door hinge pin is a good spot to measure from. Might need to adjust control arms longer to push spring forward. Just my thoughts

Check the inside of spring coils where it might rub against the bump stop joust . I put some tape on the coils to see if under articulation where the possible rub might be. Bottom of front door hinge pin is a good spot to measure from. Might need to adjust control arms longer to push spring forward. Just my thoughts
I will take a look when I clean some of the mud off of it. I was doing harder stuff than normal yesterday.

My shop has a lifetime warranty on all lifts they do and they said to just run it by. I will take it to them tomorrow.

I had a thread in the JL forum: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bowed-springs-and-correction-pads.128199/

May not be directly related, but worth checking out the lower coil isolators since the MC isolators are the same thickness. The MC sales/support also commented that their lift kits use their own upper coil isolators too to mitigate the factory lean.

As you can see from my pictures in that thread, the OEM front lower coil isolators passenger side is taller than the driver side.

In the rear, my Clayton coils are different length. The passenger rear is taller spring with higher spring rate. So you may want to verify the length and spring rate with MC, as well as check the coil isolators.

• Spring Rate 1 = 137 lbs/in
  • Spring Rate 2 = 200 lbs/in
  • Free Length Left = 17.00"
  • Free Length Right = 17.75"

I will take a look when I clean some of the mud off of it. I was doing harder stuff than normal yesterday.

My shop has a lifetime warranty on all lifts they do and they said to just run it by. I will take it to them tomorrow.
Please report back thanks

Okay, I checked your gallery and you have the same MC lift and shocks that my buddy does! Here’s what I would do:

Pull both rear shocks and swap them. This will also give you a chance to compress them, by hand, and feel the difference in their rebound. You will know quickly if you need to order a placement and this entire process should only take an hour👍

Well after replying to you and telling you about tape on coils and maybe hitting joust. I went out and looked at my Jeep we just ran rug road here in mammoth az . Although I didn’t hear any noise my tape that I put around one of my coils is rubbing. It’s not rubbing on joust it’s the front of the second coil from bottom rubbing on Steersmarts bracket and chewing into my metal cloak spring isolator just slightly on full compression. I topped out suspension that is how I was able to put tape around coil . In that position that’s when I noticed how close coils were to joust . I never thought it was a-clearance issue on compression. I’m thinking the gorilla tape may have been just enough lubricant once to let it slide by with no noise . The fix might be to round over that back edge of steer smarts bracket for me anyway. I think we have different problems.

Well after replying to you and telling you about tape on coils and maybe hitting joust. I went out and looked at my Jeep we just ran rug road here in mammoth az . Although I didn’t hear any noise my tape that I put around one of my coils is rubbing. It’s not rubbing on joust it’s the front of the second coil from bottom rubbing on Steersmarts bracket and chewing into my metal cloak spring isolator just slightly on full compression. I topped out suspension that is how I was able to put tape around coil . In that position that’s when I noticed how close coils were to joust . I never thought it was a-clearance issue on compression. I’m thinking the gorilla tape may have been just enough lubricant once to let it slide by with no noise . The fix might be to round over that back edge of steer smarts bracket for me anyway. I think we have different problems.
Interesting. I just cleaned my Jeep and didn't see anything on the coils or Jousts. I did take some good hits to my skids, driveshaft, front bumper and control arm brackets. I probably should get some LCA skids. I figured I would have some hits on my rear bumper, tailpipes and muffler because I heard it hitting some but they all look fine.

The last thing I told my wife was that since I was going to be alone, I would just do easy trails. One wrong turn and a lot of saying. "I bet it's easier right around the next corner" turned into the most fun I have ever had in my Jeep.
20240423_132333.jpg
20240423_124711.jpg
20240423_124339.jpg
20240423_124311.jpg
20240423_122925.jpg
20240423_122454.jpg
20240423_121513.jpg
20240423_121251.jpg
20240423_115446.jpg
20240423_134716.jpg

I had to grind down my steer smart to clear the RockKrawler springs, mostly at near full flex

I had to grind down my steer smart to clear the RockKrawler springs, mostly at near full flex
I just came in from the garage from doing that very same thing.I just rounded off the back side of the very square edge of Steersmarts bracket. Also placed new tape. If this fixes the issue I’ll get a new isolator pad. I would hate to have to add a second bump stop and give up travel.

Interesting. I just cleaned my Jeep and didn't see anything on the coils or Jousts. I did take some good hits to my skids, driveshaft, front bumper and control arm brackets. I probably should get some LCA skids. I figured I would have some hits on my rear bumper, tailpipes and muffler because I heard it hitting some but they all look fine.

The last thing I told my wife was that since I was going to be alone, I would just do easy trails. One wrong turn and a lot of saying. "I bet it's easier right around the next corner" turned into the most fun I have ever had in my Jeep.View attachment 34534View attachment 34535View attachment 34536View attachment 34537View attachment 34538View attachment 34539View attachment 34540View attachment 34541View attachment 34542View attachment 34543
I think that trail can tell some stories

Please report back thanks
That was easy. It had a Track-bar bolt that had worked out a little so that is fixed. No rubbing anywhere.

What isn't fixed and only because they couldn't do it today is the worn out tie-rod. SteerSmarts drag link and tie-rod was in-stock but they didn't have time today for the install.

Not sure of everyone's opinion on SteerSmarts but I trust my shop 100%. When he took me in the shop and showed me the issue, I said "so TeraFlex?". He said, not for steering...

Ok so I had this issue with my MC 3.5 inch lift and found a solution. I tried adding two 1/8 inch spacers in the rear passenger but there wasn’t enough weight in the driver rear so the entire rear went up 1/4 inch. I removed the rear spacers and added two 1/8 spacers on the front passenger and that fixed front and rear lean. MC also has thicker front spring pads to reduce rake by 1/2 inch. After adding those I have factory rake and lean only about 1/16 inch. I hope this helps! I told them they should include two front spacers and the thicker pads with the original kit but…

Ok so I had this issue with my MC 3.5 inch lift and found a solution. I tried adding two 1/8 inch spacers in the rear passenger but there wasn’t enough weight in the driver rear so the entire rear went up 1/4 inch. I removed the rear spacers and added two 1/8 spacers on the front passenger and that fixed front and rear lean. MC also has thicker front spring pads to reduce rake by 1/2 inch. After adding those I have factory rake and lean only about 1/16 inch. I hope this helps! I told them they should include two front spacers and the thicker pads with the original kit but…
Nice

Back