DEAL Price Protected: Koons $8000 off Wrangler 392

DEAL
I had a friend go through the order process at Koons and after about 6 months of waiting, he drove his loaded 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon there to trade in.. and they offered him like $4,000 BELOW LOW TRADE IN VALUE. And I mean well below auction price to the point of ridiculous. I know this can be subjective depending on market, but this was a number that was compared to real values at the time. I surmise that they wanted him out of the deal so they could sell at full MSRP, and that's one way to do it.

And his jeep was garage kept, flawless, and low mileage with a clean carfax. He's one of those guys that babies his rides and I would buy a car from him in a second.

So if you do go through Koons, be prepared to do a cash transaction and sell your car/jeep beforehand, unless you want to get ripped on your trade.
 
I had a friend go through the order process at Koons and after about 6 months of waiting, he drove his loaded 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon there to trade in.. and they offered him like $4,000 BELOW LOW TRADE IN VALUE. And I mean well below auction price to the point of ridiculous. I know this can be subjective depending on market, but this was a number that was compared to real values at the time. I surmise that they wanted him out of the deal so they could sell at full MSRP, and that's one way to do it.

And his jeep was garage kept, flawless, and low mileage with a clean carfax. He's one of those guys that babies his rides and I would buy a car from him in a second.

So if you do go through Koons, be prepared to do a cash transaction and sell your car/jeep beforehand, unless you want to get ripped on your trade.
I'm no Koons apologist but I think with any of the remote dealers you'd definitely want to negotiate on the trade in number before you show up that day to pick up your new vehicle when they have you over a barrel. With regards to the Power Wagon I traded in to Granger for my 392, they offered such an aggressive trade price towards the 392 that I decided to trade it then and just wait without a truck for my TRX to get built. Now of course used prices are coming down and dealers aren't offering as much but your best bet would still be to get quotes from CarMax, Texas Direct, GivemetheVIN, etc and present the best offer to the dealer and ask them to beat it. Do that ahead of time but close enough to the trade that you can get a locked in value in writing.
 
I'm no Koons apologist but I think with any of the remote dealers you'd definitely want to negotiate on the trade in number before you show up that day to pick up your new vehicle when they have you over a barrel. With regards to the Power Wagon I traded in to Granger for my 392, they offered such an aggressive trade price towards the 392 that I decided to trade it then and just wait without a truck for my TRX to get built. Now of course used prices are coming down and dealers aren't offering as much but your best bet would still be to get quotes from CarMax, Texas Direct, GivemetheVIN, etc and present the best offer to the dealer and ask them to beat it. Do that ahead of time but close enough to the trade that you can get a locked in value in writing.
I get what you're saying and I kind of grilled him on that too, and he told me that the jeep was built and shipped on a whim after sitting in "accepted" status for 5-6 months, and he was more than willing and able to take a very low trade in price, IE, very low trade for his mint Rubicon, and Koons came in with an absolute ridiculous trade in value where it was obvious they didn't want to do the deal. The price they offered him was a good amount below similar cars selling at auction by the thousands.

On top of that, he said Koons customer service was a joke.. one email that goes to a master in-box and you never get to talk to a person and they are short and don't care to talk/deal with you. I was surprised but then again I think it's part of their scheme to get "ordered" cars on the lot so they can push away the people that ordered them if they can in any way (IE, you have a trade they can super low ball you on). My friend is a lawyer and he could have just bought the jeep via financing and then tried to sell his other jeep locally, but since Koons was so crappy to him he walked away.
 
Ummmm, a commitment is a commitment. Hold yourself accountable to your decisions in life. Don't blame a business/dealership because of your potential hardships. I.e. lose a job, health reasons, meteor strikes, whatever... WE ARE ALL susceptible to hardships in life, you're not special. Except for perhaps the entitled philosophy on life, kinda special.

Don't put a $1,000 dollar ring on it if you can't afford a $1,000 dollar divorce that You potentially create.
 
Easy there- I dont know Justinb persoanlly, but he has been a good contributor to the forum. Def not an A hole and has a good point personal attacks are probably best left to other platforms, but not here. 2cents.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder that personal attacks will be removed and won't be tolerated on this forum.
 
Just a reminder that personal attacks will be removed and won't be tolerated on this forum.
But now we don't get to see how much of a jerk the dude really is! ;)

@justinB had a very valid point (as he often does). That's why it is called a "deposit." It's a down payment on the vehicle that you INTEND to buy. If you don't or can't by it, that's how the dealer protects themselves. Now, in this case, the dealer is set to make more money when someone bails on an order, but that doesn't mean they are required to return the deposit. That said, many reputable dealers WILL in fact refund deposits on sold orders, particularly when they can sell the unit at full MSRP (or even more).
 
Plus I put in an order in April for non-XR. When June 23 banks opened up they let me transfer my deposit to my new order. Then I changed my mind and put in an order for a different color since it was too late to change on original and they let me forward my deposit AGAIN. That is very reasonable and accommodating on their part since it was my decision to put in a new order and then change the color.

Incidentally I'm getting updated on my early June order and my later order after the color change. At this point I might just take the one that is built first (or maybe even both). They're exactly the same but one is sarge and one is sting.
 
Last edited:
I purchased from Koons, Granger, Chapman
Plus I put in an order in April for non-XR. When June 23 banks opened up they let me transfer my deposit to my new order. Then I changed my mind and put in an order for a different color since it was too late to change on original and they let me forward my deposit AGAIN. That is very reasonable and accommodating on their part since it was my decision to put in a new order and change the color.

Incidentally I'm getting updated on my early June order and my later order after the color change. At this point I might just take the one that is built first (or maybe even both).
you actually gave them a car without using their allocation. A dealer did the same shit to me. I placed the order on a Friday and Saturday morning I asked them to add a couple of extra options. 3 months later somehow I found out the initial Jeep, the one I asked them to cancel was never canceled and it made it to the dealer. Guess what, I contacted the dealer and told them I want that as well. They were not happy but the order was in my name and they couldnt do anything about. Easiest 10k I ever made. Do you still have the 22 April VON or VIN? I'm curious if you had all 3 coming ? the dealer was not koons btw
 
Heh, interesting. You are correct that they do get a sale out of it. But yep, I'll be in the same boat. The April non-XR order was delivered in September. They contacted me saying I could pick it up and I reminded them that was the non-XR that they replaced the order on for me. I think they're are honestly that busy that they forgot.

The more I think about things, the more I think I may just actually take both orders. We'll see. If I do, I'll be honest and remind them that I owe them another $1k for the 'second deposit' since the initial purchase order they give is less that deposit iirc. So both purchase orders they have show I paid 1k deposit when really I only paid it once and had it transferred to the new order.
 
Heh, interesting. You are correct that they do get a sale out of it. But yep, I'll be in the same boat. The April non-XR order was delivered in September. They contacted me saying I could pick it up and I reminded them that was the non-XR that they replaced the order on for me. I think they're are honestly that busy that they forgot.

The more I think about things, the more I think I may just actually take both orders. We'll see. If I do, I'll be honest and remind them that I owe them another $1k for the 'second deposit' since the initial purchase order they give is less that deposit iirc. So both purchase orders they have show I paid 1k deposit when really I only paid it once and had it transferred to the new order.
Trust me they'll know you didnt pay the extra 1k. Be careful tho. Market is upside down and you might not make as much as you want after tax, delivery/trip home. But if both are XR you'll get at least MSRP . If they are a rare color ex Granite/Earl or Pumkin add an extra 5k profit imo. The only downside is Stellantis has a limit of 5 orders per name/per address for year. You are already at 3 :)
 
Not rare colors, but both are XR. I am not in it to make any money, but I'd want to at least break even.

I ALMOST went for GCM, but I had a '16 75A (that I got from Koons) that was GCM.

I hadn't planned on my 392 as my daily driver, so I've been looking for a Bronco to use for that. I'm coming up short, so I may get the 2nd 392 and use that as my daily and off road it. Good to know about the 5 limit. Makes sense.
 
Last edited:
As an update. Ordered in June. Got delivered to our door today. Landed at Koons early Dec. No issues with Koons. Only complaint was they wouldnt send the paperwork overnight unless we shipped the car. So we did. Almost just showed up after it was all completed but it was only $500 to nj open transport. Good communication with Craig and Mike in Finance was super easy to work with. He didnt even try to match USAA's finance rate because he said he wouldnt come close. I told him to save his breath with the extended warranty sales pitch. No pressure from him. Would use Koons again.

Edit: I forgot I did open the fuse panel and they definitely had to be seated better (large fuses)

Another edit: oil was almost a quart low. Little bit of oil on trans. Saw nothing leaking. Will check tomorrow. Also found 2 small spots of white where paint must have been chipped.
3FF71BD8-D7C2-4279-AF1C-5F4BB7BB3324.webp
 

Attachments

  • 392268EA-FB2C-4BAC-A6B1-C2F5F0538CAB.webp
    392268EA-FB2C-4BAC-A6B1-C2F5F0538CAB.webp
    77.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Happy to hear your experience with us was positive. We try very hard to keep it that way. Please feel free to spread the word and we will continue doing our best. Great information here, very much appreciated.
 
Heya folks, I just sent an email out to ya about an imminent 20thA. I'm interested in going with you to get one. (y)
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top