New to 392 Family - ECM Issues

BruceR

Reaction score
Current Rides
2022 292 & 2021 Rubicon JL
Hi all, new 2022 392 owners from FL. also own a 2021 Rubicon with manual transmission.
I love the drive and sound of my new addition and already have multiple upgrades on order.
A little background: I got my 392 from an auction, which was branded recovered theft/vandalized. I got the vehicle and was not able to start. After a few hours of tinkering, I found a kill switch under the dash and was able to start it right up. That initial sound inside my garage was awesome. The entire household ran out to the garage.
I took the car out of the garage and noticed the backup camera and the rear parking sensors were not working. I also noticed a few lights on the dash: the check engine, airbag, and traction. I immediately hooked up my JLScan to investigate. All the codes related to the lights were for mismatched VINs. I took the car to a Jeep Dealer to have them check it out and reprogram the ECM. The dealer could not write a new VIN and told me I needed a new ECM. After two days, a new ECM arrived and was programmed by the dealer.
Now to the issue:
With the new ECM, the lights that were previously on went away, and the backup camera started working, but now I had other issues and codes: P3441-Cylinder 6 deactivation control circuit, P1214-active exhaust valve 1 circuit open, and P2101-electronic throttle control motor performance. The performance exhaust switch was not functioning, and I would lose throttle control on the highway above 50MPH, with no response from the throttle. All these issues point to programming as the car was running perfectly with the old ECM.
I took it back to the dealer, and no resolution has come. The dealer couldn't figure it out and opened a case with engineering. Waiting game....
Does someone here have any ideas or know enough about ECM programming to help or direct me in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you notice something plugged into the pedal like a Pedal Commander or Pedal Monster? It would be a splitter plugged into the harness above the pedal.

Did you notice something plugged into the pedal like a Pedal Commander or Pedal Monster? It would be a splitter plugged into the harness above the pedal.
No, I didn't. I will have the dealer take a photo tomorrow to confirm. I noticed a lot of wires under the driver's dash, but all of them were for the AL Priority Parking Sensor/Laser jammer, which I will take off as soon as I get home.

I would hit up Mike at Diablosport, he knows way more about Jeep 392 ECU/PCM than Dealers do...

Mike Litsch

Diablosport

I would hit up Mike at Diablosport, he knows way more about Jeep 392 ECU/PCM than Dealers do...

Mike Litsch

Diablosport
Thank you for the suggestion. I messaged Mike via LinkedIn.

He's on this forum as well under DiabloMike...he is in central Florida...

Last edited:
This is strange for sure. My best guess would be that the issues here are related to something to do with the vehicle having been stolen initially. I wonder if they spoofed a module or use some sort of programming to bypass the security. My best suggestion would be to have them reprogram all modules in the vehicle at one time.

This is strange for sure. My best guess would be that the issues here are related to something to do with the vehicle having been stolen initially. I wonder if they spoofed a module or use some sort of programming to bypass the security. My best suggestion would be to have them reprogram all modules in the vehicle at one time.
Mike, thank you for replying. I will relay the message to the dealer and report back. Hopefully, they will figure it out; if not, I will bother you again.

After three weeks at the dealer and no work done for the first two weeks because the main technician quit, I got my vehicle back yesterday. It seems like they reset all the parameters and fixed all the issues with the ECM and the programming. I have a new issue: intermittent "Service Axel Locker System" message on the dash with the "C1416-13 front differential control-circuit open" code. The dealer thought maybe the previous owner used a device/program to disable "something," and they needed more time to investigate. I found some references regarding this issue, and some wrangler owners fixed it using Z-Automotive Z-Locker-OEM. Is anyone else with this issue, and did the Z-Locker-OEM fix it?

After three weeks at the dealer and no work done for the first two weeks because the main technician quit, I got my vehicle back yesterday. It seems like they reset all the parameters and fixed all the issues with the ECM and the programming. I have a new issue: intermittent "Service Axel Locker System" message on the dash with the "C1416-13 front differential control-circuit open" code. The dealer thought maybe the previous owner used a device/program to disable "something," and they needed more time to investigate. I found some references regarding this issue, and some wrangler owners fixed it using Z-Automotive Z-Locker-OEM. Is anyone else with this issue, and did the Z-Locker-OEM fix it?

The sensor in the axle that determines if the locker is engaged or not is a common point of failure. Compounding this fact is that the sensor by itself is/was not available for a long time, leaving a complete axle swap as the only fix.

The Z-Automotive gizmo, just lies to the computer and tells it that the locker is doing what it's supposed to be doing all the time. It makes the warnings go away, but.... if the locker actually does not engage or disengage properly, you'll not get a warning.

I think the sensors are available now. This maybe?:

https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-axle-sensor-kit-68544629aa

Some folks have tried using electronic component potting material to prevent the sensor failure. I actually bought the stuff to do this when I changed my gear oil....

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

I got 2 spares, potted them, installed them, and potted the takeout ones. Easy job, documented on jl forum by chevymitchell. I did it without removing right side cap bolts.

I got 2 spares, potted them, installed them, and potted the takeout ones. Easy job, documented on jl forum by chevymitchell. I did it without removing right side cap bolts.

Do you know if I need to purchase a new sensor, or can I clean/save the one I have before Potting?

I would say that if you already have the light you will need to start with a new sensor.

I would say that if you already have the light you will need to start with a new sensor.
I agree; I was going to buy two, one for the front and one for the back. Is there a reason the sensors come in a pack of 5?

I agree; I was going to buy two, one for the front and one for the back. Is there a reason the sensors come in a pack of 5?
Unknown why they do that. I knew someone that bought 5 and sold me 2. But if you have the light on, you nay want 4, 2 to use, 2 for spare (I travel with my spares in case someone needs one on the trails, including me).

Unknown why they do that. I knew someone that bought 5 and sold me 2. But if you have the light on, you nay want 4, 2 to use, 2 for spare (I travel with my spares in case someone needs one on the trails, including me).
According to this service info, you have to try one by one to see which fits your specific vehicle out of the 5 included in the kit. Did the two that you got fit your vehicle?

Attachments

• Axle sensor.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
According to this service info, you have to try one by one to see which fits your specific vehicle out of the 5 included in the kit. Did the two that you got fit your vehicle?
Yes, fit perfectly. Operates as designed.

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back