Molding for where wheel flares meet body

reloexprt

Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Hi everyone,
I have been driving my 2021 392 XR for about two weeks now and wow it is amazing. Question for everyone. I keep getting leaves and other debris in between wheel flares and body. Is there any type of molding to put in between to prevent this? Or does someone have another idea? Thanks very much and Happy Holidays!

I have seen some people insert fuel hose or some other small diameter rubber hose to keep the small rocks out. You will find some YouTube videos of it.

Thank you!

My 392 is at the dealer for a few days...paint correction. Here is a video about it.

Where is the dealer correcting the paint and how extensive is the correction? Did the dealer notice or say anything about the rubber sealing? Thanks.

Paint runs on two doors and also on three corners of my hood. No Paint corrections needed on the fender flares, so dealer didn't say anything.

This is what I used. So far so good.

Trim-Lok Rubber Tubing Seal – .276” Outside Diameter, .206” Inside Diameter, 25’ Length – Closed Cell EPDM Foam Tubing – Ideal Door and Window Weather Seal for Cars, Trucks, RVs, Boats, and the Home https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4DI2E/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_514TWBS0PCYXVBE109H9
Thanks for the recommendation! Does the tubing stay in place by itself or do you need some adhesive or maybe a some calk to help it stay in place? I might try some door edge molding (from my local auto parts store) because it comes in colors other than black...although black should hide well in such a deep crevasse.

Thank you.

Thanks for the recommendation! Does the tubing stay in place by itself or do you need some adhesive or maybe a some calk to help it stay in place? I might try some door edge molding (from my local auto parts store) because it comes in colors other than black...although black should hide well in such a deep crevasse.
It's been about a month since I did it and it's staying in place. Granted, weather in SoCal has been consistently in the 60s to 80s. The tube is very flexible and stretches. You stretch it to make the diameter smaller and once in place release it so it can expand. It's pretty much held in place by the expanding pressure of the tubing itself.

It's been about a month since I did it and it's staying in place. Granted, weather in SoCal has been consistently in the 60s to 80s. The tube is very flexible and stretches. You stretch it to make the diameter smaller and once in place release it so it can expand. It's pretty much held in place by the expanding pressure of the tubing itself.
I watched the video and placed my order on Amazon. Thanks!

I watched the video and placed my order on Amazon. Thanks!
I hope it withstands the changes in weather temperatures. Heck, for that price I will be happy if it's still in place in a year. Lol.

I wonder if they’ll be any problems in a brushless carwash or the air dryer?

I wonder if they’ll be any problems in a brushless carwash or the air dryer?
I doubt it. The soft rubber tubing is buried so deeply in the “crevasse" I can’t imagine what could dislodge it unintentionally. If you’re still concerned about it you could add a small dab of caulk at the ends of each tubing section where the tubing is most likely to be vulnerable to wind, water and washing.

This is what I used. So far so good.

Trim-Lok Rubber Tubing Seal – .276” Outside Diameter, .206” Inside Diameter, 25’ Length – Closed Cell EPDM Foam Tubing – Ideal Door and Window Weather Seal for Cars, Trucks, RVs, Boats, and the Home https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4DI2E/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_514TWBS0PCYXVBE109H9
I see they also have a slightly narrower 0.236" version. Do you think that would allow the welt to get deeper and be less noticeable or does the 0.276" seem perfect?

I see they also have a slightly narrower 0.236" version. Do you think that would allow the welt to get deeper and be less noticeable or does the 0.276" seem perfect?
I think the 0.276" is the best size. The flares have wider and narrower sections. I'd imagine the 0.236" version may be too small for the wide sections, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
I think the 0.276" is the best size. The flares have wider and narrower sections. I'd imagine the 0.236" version may be too small for the narrow sections, but I don't know for sure.
I just installed mine yesterday and the 0.276 is the perfect size... You can get it deep in the grooves and it becomes very unnoticeable in my opinion..
Thanks byhumba for the great tip!

Back