Midland MXT275 GMRS Install - JL 392

Stonehide

Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides
22' 392
Just wrapped up my GMRS install today, figured I'd share for anyone interested in doing one themselves.

Final Product:
IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

INSTALL DETAILS
Parts Used:
  1. Radio & Handset: Midland MXT275
  2. 6db Gain Whip Antenna: 6db Gain Whip Antenna
  3. SMA to UHF for coax antenna wire: SMA to UHF Connector
  4. SMA Connector for coax antenna wire: SMA Connector
  5. Antenna Mount & coax cable: Antenna Mount & Cable
  6. 10ft Cat8 Ethernet Cable: CAT8 Cable
  7. 12v Cigarette Plug Adapter Harness: 12v Adapter Harness
  8. Ethernet Bulkhead Adapter: Bulkhead Adapter
  9. Wixgear Magnetic Car Mount: Magnetic Mic Mount
Install Steps:
  1. Install antenna mount on Mopar Reinforced tailgate bracket and route wire through the unused, righthand tailgate grommet. To achieve this, I first removed the tailgate trail rail bracket (secured by 3 torx bolts), then the plastic tailgate trim. The trim is secured by plastic clips, get one side started with a trim removal tool then just pry the rest of the trim off slowly.
  2. IMG_1992.jpg
  3. IMG_1991.jpg
  4. Route the antenna wire from the trunk to the front passenger footwell. Ensure that the tailgate is fully open before tucking the antenna wire behind trim pieces. There needs to be enough slack in the wire to allow the tailgate to swing open and closed freely. I pulled the passenger side trunk trim (side with the subwoofer) to keep the install as clean as possible, then under the rear passenger sill trim, the front passenger sill trim, and into the furthest back portion of the front passenger footwell. I didn't grab many pics of this, but can get more if folks want them.
  5. IMG_1994.jpg
  6. Choose a mounting location for the radio. I ended up finding that there is a perfect space behind the front passenger kick panel. Attach bracket to mounting location. Insert radio unit into bracket. Solder and crimp the SMA connector to the antenna wire, then attach the SMA connector to the SMA/UHF connector. Connect to rear of radio unit.
  7. IMG_1993.jpg
  8. Install the 12v power adapter harness. To do this, remove the AC/Ignition Panel trim, then the Window/Aux/Media panel trim. The AC trim can be removed with a trim removal tool, starting from the passenger side. Once you have it started, you can pull it by hand, working from passenger to driver. Remove the two plugs from the panel and set aside. To remove the window switch trim panel, a single screw must be removed, then with firm pressure, unclip it from the dash. Unplug the 12v accessory plug from the rear, and install the adapter harness. Route the adapter harness wires behind the dash and into the passenger footwell. Cut the 12v Car adapter from the power harness provided with the MXT275, and solder/join to the 12v adapter harness leads. (Not my pics)
  9. Screenshot 2022-07-16 230627.png
  10. If using the bulkhead adapter like I did: While the dash is disassembled, route your ethernet cable from the radio unit, up behind the dash, then drill the dash in the desired location using a step bit. Plug the ethernet cable into the back of the bulkhead adapter, then secure the adapter to the dash.
  11. IMG_1999.jpg
  12. Before reassembling the dash/trim, connect the handset to the bulkhead adapter, turn the jeep on, then power up the radio and test send/receive capability.
  13. Assuming everything is functioning, you can now button all your trim up and enjoy!

Just wrapped up my GMRS install today, figured I'd share for anyone interested in doing one themselves.

Final Product:
View attachment 5945
View attachment 5946

INSTALL DETAILS
Parts Used:
  1. Radio & Handset: Midland MXT275
  2. 6db Gain Whip Antenna: 6db Gain Whip Antenna
  3. SMA to UHF for coax antenna wire: SMA to UHF Connector
  4. SMA Connector for coax antenna wire: SMA Connector
  5. Antenna Mount & coax cable: Antenna Mount & Cable
  6. 10ft Cat8 Ethernet Cable: CAT8 Cable
  7. 12v Cigarette Plug Adapter Harness: 12v Adapter Harness
  8. Ethernet Bulkhead Adapter: Bulkhead Adapter
  9. Wixgear Magnetic Car Mount: Magnetic Mic Mount
Install Steps:
  1. Install antenna mount on Mopar Reinforced tailgate bracket and route wire through the unused, righthand tailgate grommet. To achieve this, I first removed the tailgate trail rail bracket (secured by 3 torx bolts), then the plastic tailgate trim. The trim is secured by plastic clips, get one side started with a trim removal tool then just pry the rest of the trim off slowly.
  2. View attachment 5952
  3. View attachment 5953
  4. Route the antenna wire from the trunk to the front passenger footwell. Ensure that the tailgate is fully open before tucking the antenna wire behind trim pieces. There needs to be enough slack in the wire to allow the tailgate to swing open and closed freely. I pulled the passenger side trunk trim (side with the subwoofer) to keep the install as clean as possible, then under the rear passenger sill trim, the front passenger sill trim, and into the furthest back portion of the front passenger footwell. I didn't grab many pics of this, but can get more if folks want them.
  5. View attachment 5955
  6. Choose a mounting location for the radio. I ended up finding that there is a perfect space behind the front passenger kick panel. Attach bracket to mounting location. Insert radio unit into bracket. Solder and crimp the SMA connector to the antenna wire, then attach the SMA connector to the SMA/UHF connector. Connect to rear of radio unit.
  7. View attachment 5954
  8. Install the 12v power adapter harness. To do this, remove the AC/Ignition Panel trim, then the Window/Aux/Media panel trim. The AC trim can be removed with a trim removal tool, starting from the passenger side. Once you have it started, you can pull it by hand, working from passenger to driver. Remove the two plugs from the panel and set aside. To remove the window switch trim panel, a single screw must be removed, then with firm pressure, unclip it from the dash. Unplug the 12v accessory plug from the rear, and install the adapter harness. Route the adapter harness wires behind the dash and into the passenger footwell. Cut the 12v Car adapter from the power harness provided with the MXT275, and solder/join to the 12v adapter harness leads. (Not my pics)
  9. View attachment 5957
  10. If using the bulkhead adapter like I did: While the dash is disassembled, route your ethernet cable from the radio unit, up behind the dash, then drill the dash in the desired location using a step bit. Plug the ethernet cable into the back of the bulkhead adapter, then secure the adapter to the dash.
  11. View attachment 5956
  12. Before reassembling the dash/trim, connect the handset to the bulkhead adapter, turn the jeep on, then power up the radio and test send/receive capability.
  13. Assuming everything is functioning, you can now button all your trim up and enjoy!
Looks great! Install is so clean.

That’s really clean. Looks like your work is like mine. I always try to make it look like a factory install.
Also, I’ve been looking into the GMRS radios.
How well does the hand held unit work? Do you like it?

That’s really clean. Looks like your work is like mine. I always try to make it look like a factory install.
Also, I’ve been looking into the GMRS radios.
How well does the hand held unit work? Do you like it?
Appreciate the comments guys! I agree, I try to make things look as clean and factory as possible when I can, especially on an 80k jeep lmao.

I haven't gotten much time on the unit, but it seems to work perfectly fine so far for my use. Reception is clear, and the handheld is plenty loud. I need to get out to the mountains and test it with my buddy, but so far so good!

Great write up and lots of details. One question, why didn't you use the power that is available in the passenger footwell? I have not located mine but the owners manual says along with four leads for the aux switches there is a hot and ignition switched lead right there.

Great write up and lots of details. One question, why didn't you use the power that is available in the passenger footwell? I have not located mine but the owners manual says along with four leads for the aux switches there is a hot and ignition switched lead right there.
That's a great question. To be perfectly honest it's because I had no idea there was one, when I was looking for a power source, I just googled it and the 12v adapter harness was the thing that came up the most in my search.

I felt like a fool for asking you why you didn't use the wires when I had not even found them myself. They were easy to find, I have read other people say they were hard to find but mine were right there. Just 6 wires bundled together, 4 for aux switches, one ignition on and one constant on.

IMG_8321.JPG

IMG_8323.JPG

I felt like a fool for asking you why you didn't use the wires when I had not even found them myself. They were easy to find, I have read other people say they were hard to find but mine were right there. Just 6 wires bundled together, 4 for aux switches, one ignition on and one constant on.

That's good to know for future accessories! I knew about the aux switch wires located in the engine compartment, didn't realize there was another set in the footwell.

Just a quick update; the wixgear magnetic mount was having a hard time sticking to the dash in the heat due to the weight of the handset, so I upgraded to the Magnetic Mic Mount: https://magneticmic.com/

Very solid product, the only issue some folks might have is that you have to drill the dash to install. It is very clean however, so I personally don't mind.

signal-2022-07-24-141315.jpeg
magmount.jpg
magmount2.jpg
magmount3.jpg

Back