If possible I could use some input please. Having a steering problem.

Maybe you got an early one or just a badly fit one, mine Fox ATS 2.0 went on perfectly with the very well made bracket.
Thanks for the instal tips JC! I got my Fox in Dec from Santa 🎅 (and yes, he does exist and he likes Jeeps 😉) maybe it was just a bad bracket. Maybe they let Buddy-the-Elf operate the hydroform press that day. I feel like I should have gone with the Falcons with the 3-settings (soft. med. firm) like @YukonCornelius got: Falcon Nexus 2.2 - First Driving Impressions

That is because the factory lift of 1.5” is using the same LCAs as a sport JL. More caster will make the jeep track straight, have less tramlining and the steering will find center quicker.. Many people describe the lack of caster as “vague” steering.

So in short, the mopar LCAs just get your caster number up to where they should have been when it left the factory.
I thought vague steering was a Jeep Trademark? Thanks for explaining the reasoning. Totally makes sense. Kinda cheap of Jeep to not just do this at the factory. Good news is my local parts dept. said they run $33 each. I have been using a set of Go-Jacks to pick the Jeep up and as you said lift if by the tires safety, I will give those a try. Thanks!
@Turboencabulator regarding the Mopar 1/4" longer LCAs 68322798AA, here is the report I got the other day, stock XR. And I've ordered the LCAs to gain some caster angle, maybe to 5.8 or 6 I'd guess. But 4.3/4.6 does seems very low. The 392 comes with the same LCAs 68250242AB, which are the same ones used on all JLs. Mine has been driving very well so far, but I'm need a new project to buy some new tools to play with.
Thanks for the part numbers and the report. The good new is this job helps me justify picking up a DeWalt DCF891 Impact Wrench which is a nice sized mid-torque that puts out 620 LbF! I have been very impressed with the Harbor Freight Icon ½ Split Beam Torque Wench to torque them back down. I assume you use the same bolts? No issues with stretch? Anyhow that sounds like a nice easy summer project. Thanks all! :) (y)

@Turboencabulator regarding the Mopar 1/4" longer LCAs 68322798AA, here is the report I got the other day, stock XR. And I've ordered the LCAs to gain some caster angle, maybe to 5.8 or 6 I'd guess. But 4.3/4.6 does seems very low. The 392 comes with the same LCAs 68250242AB, which are the same ones used on all JLs. Mine has been driving very well so far, but I'm need a new project to buy some new tools to play with.
You should get about 1* of additional caster. And you will notice they are much heavier…. Hopefully that means beefier In the long run.

Keep in mind that unless you cut and rotate your axle tubes, every degree of additional caster comes at the expense of an extra degree of driveline angle.

Thank you Turboencabulator for posting your drive off of the lot experience and also for the photos. And to all of the guys sharing knowledge. The steering stabilizer sounds like it can only help.

I spoke with Mike the gentleman that completed my repair (cam bolts and the upgraded factory lower control arms). He stated that he barely expanded the holes where the bolts were installed so would not be an issue to go back to factory bolts with a very light bit of welding to make sure the hole was completely round which is what I have decided to do. Bolts will be able to be installed and removed at a future date if needed. For me adding the cam bolt eliminator kit was just another accessory I I did not want to have in the first place. (my fault for not knowing more about the process and my decision to move forward this way).
This will at least get me back to zero and go from there. He did suggest as even stumblinhorse did a set of Fox adjustable control arms which I may do if it the ride is still giving me a hard time to the left once the repair is complete. If I do the Fox control arms I will more than likely also do one of the two stabilizers mentioned by Turboencabulator. It sounds like these items would take care of the problem. Once complete which for me will be mid May (trip scheduled) - I will report back (with photos) so that others might know if they have to deal with a similar situation.

Thanks again everybody - the input has been very much appreciated.
Don

You should get about 1* of additional caster. And you will notice they are much heavier…. Hopefully that means beefier In the long run.
Is it necessary to get an alignment if all you do is swap to the longer Mopar LCAs?

Just a quick / final follow up on correcting a left side pull to my 2021 392. For those that posted with input and post readers - I have finally been able to resolve the issue. The original bolt holes where the cam bolts had been installed were corrected and a new set of Teraflex adjustable control arms were installed. Original nuts and bolts reinstalled. With this afternoon being my first chance to drive again - it seems to have corrected my problem. I have included a few photos. Thank you very much again to the guys here that assisted.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2743.jpeg
    IMG_2743.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2017.jpeg
    IMG_2017.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2745.jpeg
    IMG_2745.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2746.jpeg
    IMG_2746.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
For those that responded and also for anyone that might end up with the steering issue I had.

(Problem) My Jeep was pulling left. After 2 dealership alignments and a third party alignment stated everything was within specifications - Their only recommendation was to keep tires rotated. No other suggestions as for a fix.

Here was the solution that worked in my case and below are the notes for my repair:

Work performed by Mike's Off Road in Haltom City Texas.
Mike and his crew really made the problem a good learning experience. He was willing to spend time on the phone in an attempt to diagnose the problem before bringing the Jeep in.
Didn't just say I don't know to get me out of his hair.

Replaced the lower control arms with Mopar part number 68322798AA to obtain more caster.
These replacement Mopar control arms added 1 degree of caster above the factory installed arms.

Also installed - a caster cam bolt kit to adjust caster split so to allow correction for my pull to the left.

Final alignment and then a test drive to confirm the installs worked properly.

Success.

I mentioned in another post above that there was a gentleman dealing with a similar issue here in another thread on the forum. He mentioned that his dealership service department stated the solution to his problem was an aftermarket caster bolt that would be covered under factory warranty. To me it sounds like it may have been a similar fix. Fortunately for him his dealer service department at least had knowledge of the problem and a possible solution. Both of my local dealer service departments knew nothing of this.

Im driving straight again :).
Now you know what the problem was, now take the band aid off and fix the wound properly. adjustable cam bolt in a 90k jeep with 2700 miles, not on mine.

Thank you Smess for your input however I guess you did not read the entire thread and final post. The cam bolts were removed - the bracket holes were corrected and Teraflex adjustable control arms were installed. This is a final and what I believe to be a correct solution to my issue.

Thank you Smess for your input however I guess you did not read the entire thread and final post. The cam bolts were removed - the bracket holes were corrected and Teraflex adjustable control arms were installed. This is a final and what I believe to be a correct solution to my issue.
Awesome, now that is fixing it properly. Its late and no I didnt read the entire thread, most of the threads about alignment and castor most people dont understand so they start talking about tire pressures and steering stabalizers.

after some bad experinces with products I thought were really good I stay very mainstream. Curry, Synergy, AEV, and I think Teraflex is the only company outside the top shelf ones I named that makes just about every every upfitter part for a Jeep and they have good customer service, they answer the phone and speak to customers, they have instructional videos, and when they produce something that maybe is questionable they give you new and improved for free and admit their faults.

you are obviously a guy that does things “right” as I am also.

Last edited:
Back