Engine tick when first starting

You won’t always hear it when it first starts because the idle is higher. Once the idle comes down you can clearly hear it. If you take it in they’ll just tell you it’s the “Hemi tick”. Some do it… some don’t. Its hard to tell in a video but Yours is definitely pronounced. Make a stink about it at the dealer and maybe they’ll pull the lifters on that side. I doubt they’ll do anything unless / until there’s a failure. It could be something else maybe a rocker arm etc
Especially when this is written on the manual as ‘normal’. I will have it documented at the dealership at least. Thanks for your suggestions!

Especially when this is written on the manual as ‘normal’. I will have it documented at the dealership at least. Thanks for your suggestions!
Do you hear these same noises after your 392 is fully warmed up and driven for roughly 20 minutes or so?

Do you hear these same noises after your 392 is fully warmed up and driven for roughly 20 minutes or so?
At times it can tick at idle after the engine is fully warmed up, but it‘s the rhythmic soft tapping sound which sounds totally different from the noise in the videos. The idle ticking is definitely related to oil and driving condition: if I have been driving mostly in stop and go traffics I sometimes can hear it ticks at idle, so I managed to have some highway miles each week which helps minimized the idle ticking. The idle ticking is subtle, typically I just hear a hint of it if it happens.

At times it can tick at idle after the engine is fully warmed up, but it‘s the rhythmic soft tapping sound which sounds totally different from the noise in the videos. The idle ticking is definitely related to oil and driving condition: if I have been driving mostly in stop and go traffics I sometimes can hear it ticks at idle, so I managed to have some highway miles each week which helps minimized the idle ticking. The idle ticking is subtle, typically I just hear a hint of it if it happens.
How many miles do you have on your 392?

I would very much appreciate some thought on this. I purchased a new 2024 392 in late September last year. Currently, It has 1450 miles. I never noticed until I started it today and let it run for about 15 minutes. During that time, I heard a loud tick or a clicking noise every 15 seconds. I actually timed it and it is just at 15 sec intervals. I’ve attached a video. First tick is just between 14 and 15 seconds on the video. Should I be concerned?

UPDATE:
I’ve attached a short video. The noise can be heard at between 3-4 seconds in on the video. Again, the noise repeats every 15 seconds.

Last edited:
I would very much appreciate some thought on this. I never noticed until I started my 392 today and let it run for about 15 minutes. During that time, I heard a loud tick or a clicking noise every 15 seconds. I actually timed it and it is just at 15 sec intervals. I’ve attached a video. First tick is just between 14 and 15 seconds on the video. Should I be concerned?

Actually, I can’t attach the video. As much as I reduce it is says it’s too large. 🤷
Oil pressure is at its lowest when you’re idling. Also if your oil hasn’t been changed in a bit (towards the end of its life) Hemi’s are a bit more noisy.

Oil pressure is at its lowest when you’re idling. Also if your oil hasn’t been changed in a bit (towards the end of its life) Hemi’s are a bit more noisy.
Thank you for the response. I’m sorry, I should have posted the year and mileage. I’ll edit my post. I only have 1450 miles on a 24 392 that I purchase in late September last year.

Thank you for the response. I’m sorry, I should have posted the year and mileage. I’ll edit my post. I only have 1450 miles on a 24 392 that I purchase in late September last year.
It wouldn’t hurt to change the oil. I bet it quiets right down. Jeep wants you to change it every 6,000 or 6 months / whichever comes first.

It wouldn’t hurt to change the oil. I bet it quiets right down. Jeep wants you to change it every 6,000 or 6 months / whichever comes first.
Thank you. With assistance from a very helpful administrator, I was able to post a short video.

Thats about where I would change oil on a new vehicle. Then at 5 then every 5 after. But if you dont drive much there is that 6 month requirement from Jeep.

I couldn't hear it very well but is there any chance it's just the compressor clutch engaging and disengaging? If you turn off the the Defrost/AC, does it go away? A steady 15 second increment doesn't sound oil related to me.

I couldn't hear it very well but is there any chance it's just the compressor clutch engaging and disengaging? If you turn off the the Defrost/AC, does it go away? A steady 15 second increment doesn't sound oil related to me.
That’s a great point. I’ll try that later today or tomorrow. Thank you.

Did you change the oil at 6 months - That’s a factory warranty requirement on the 392 regardless of mileage - Had to do mine with under 600 miles on the odometer at six months and it was really beneficial - Quieted down the drivetrain and runs and sounds much smoother. Highly recommend it if you haven’t done so yet.
I also had the first oil sample and filter analyzed. Blackstone did the review on the factory fill. ✌️

Hard to hear but it sounds like it “could” be noisy fuel injectors?

Last edited:
Did you change the oil at 6 months - That’s a factory warranty requirement on the 392 regardless of mileage - Had to do mine with under 600 miles on the odometer at six months and it was really beneficial - Quieted down the drivetrain and runs and sounds much smoother. Highly recommend it if you haven’t done so yet.
I also had the first oil sample and filter analyzed. Blackstone did the review on the factory fill. ✌️
Thanks for responding and for the info. It has been in storage since December. It’s coming out this weekend and I plan to bring it in for an oil change next week.

Back