Control warn winch with switchpros or spod

7.62x392

Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Has anyone wired their winch controller to their switchpros or spod to spool in and out? Interested in doing so with my new switchpros but can’t find much out there on the topic. I’m interested in a wiring diagram or something of the like.

I know of a few people who have played with the idea but the downside is that you need to use two separate switches to operate the winch. One for in one for out, It seems like most people aren’t willing to waste a switch on something that’s not used often. It also depends on what winch you are running, most new winches with sealed solenoid compartments would need to be opened up to tap into the control wires, not impossible but pita. I’m not saying you should or shouldn’t do it, this is just my observation but yes it can be done.
3E66A175-B587-4289-A2E1-C018F390DBED.jpeg

This is the solenoid control box I built to remote mount for the rear warn 10k winch on my JK. It should be very similar to most winches but just for example. The green and white arrows point to the control wires for in and out. All you would need to do is connect one aux switch to each color wire. They are just control wires so they have a low amp drarw. But like I said this is just an example, I haven’t opened up a new Zeon control.

Has anyone wired their winch controller to their switchpros or spod to spool in and out? Interested in doing so with my new switchpros but can’t find much out there on the topic. I’m interested in a wiring diagram or something of the like.
It's not super difficult, but one thing to consider is that it's likely to require two switch outputs. (@Mouse beat me to this point.)

Most winch hardwire options involve sending 12 volt positive to two different terminals on the winch relay. Send power to terminal "A" and the winch reels in. Send power to terminal "B" and the winch powers out. Since the Switchpros or SPOD switches only have a single output for each switch, you'll need to use two different outputs to get both "in and "out" from the winch.

If consuming two of the outputs is not a concern, another thing to consider is that it's of paramount importance to never apply power to both the "A" and "B" terminals at the same time, or you'll probably let the smoke out of the relay. Those things run on smoke, once you let it out, they stop working. Depending on the type or relay the winch manufacturer used, it's possible to let the smoke out of the winch motor as well.

This is why most wired controllers have a momentary dual pole single throw switch, which is a special switch designed to only ever allow output on one wire or the other. The Switchpro unit might maybe have a setting to make sure both are never active at the same time, but I know my old SPOD did not have this functionality.

If your winch has a wired remote plug on it, you might find it easier to tap in there, rather than dig into the relay/control pack itself. Most winch remote connectors have just three wires, 12v positive, terminal "A" and "B". You can probe to find the 12v positive, then run your switch outputs to the other two wires. You might have to switch the outputs around if the in and out functions do not match the with outputs you want to use, but you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time.

Good luck.

Thanks @Mouse and @guruman for the input. I don’t mind using two switches, between the swithpro and aux switches I’ll have 12 switches and don’t plan to go overboard on electronic accessories. I found this thread below on the JL forum that seems to walk through the process in case anyone is interested. I’m going to give it a shot in a few weeks when I get back from a work trip to the Netherlands, and will report back on the results.

Not what you asked for, but another option if you don't use your winch a lot is Warn's wireless control with your phone.
0005782_hub-wireless-receiver-for-warn-truck-winches-103945.jpeg

Video:

Switch-Pros ha a setting to lock out switches when others are on. I have my 5 button wired to my LP6 low and 6 to LP6 high. Can’t run both together as it’d send double the power and burn up the Lamp. You can also program switches as momentary on.

Personally, if I’m getting out to spool out the cable and attach it to something, It’s easy to plug in the controller at the same time and then bring it into the cab. But to each their own.

Hey there. I did this on my switch pros on my JK. It wasn’t bad once you know the wiring. One thing to keep in mind and it may have already been mentioned, is you need to have a way to cut off power to the winch or you’ll accidentally go in or out on your winch, if you press the button accidentally.

I had a switch for power to the winch, then an in and out.

Hey there. I did this on my switch pros on my JK. It wasn’t bad once you know the wiring. One thing to keep in mind and it may have already been mentioned, is you need to have a way to cut off power to the winch or you’ll accidentally go in or out on your winch, if you press the button accidentally.

I had a switch for power to the winch, then an in and out.
I have the warn power interrupt solenoid hooked up to Aux 4 which I intend to leave hooked up. Only when Aux 4 is active does the winch get power.

Back