AEV Spare Tire Carrier and Fuel Caddy

averyh45

Reaction score
Current Rides
2024 Jeep Wrangler 392
Has anyone installed the AEV fuel caddy on their Wrangler yet? I recently purchased the fuel caddy and aev tire carrier off XT and the technician promised that I can install it with the stock bumper but AEV has conflicting info on their website. IF you have installed one, did you need to purchase the AEV rear bumper as well? I'm not a huge fan of the AEV bumper plus it's $1200. I have a 2024 392 and the parts are arriving tomorrow. Trying to decide whether to return them, try to install it on my stock bumper, or purchase the bumper before it is out of stock (supposedly it is being discontinued).

Thanks in advance for advice/tips.

The AEV Rear Tire Carrier requires the AEV rear bumper.

Secondly, the AEV Fuel Caddy requires the AEV Rear Tire Carrier.

The tire carrier is attached to the rear frame of the Jeep, through a hole in the AEV rear bumper. Said hole does not exist on the OEM steel rear bumper.

It’s an attractive package that addresses a few issues like heavy large spares and extra fuel, but unfortunately you gotta go all in with the complete package.

Has anyone installed the AEV fuel caddy on their Wrangler yet? I recently purchased the fuel caddy and aev tire carrier off XT and the technician promised that I can install it with the stock bumper but AEV has conflicting info on their website. IF you have installed one, did you need to purchase the AEV rear bumper as well? I'm not a huge fan of the AEV bumper plus it's $1200. I have a 2024 392 and the parts are arriving tomorrow. Trying to decide whether to return them, try to install it on my stock bumper, or purchase the bumper before it is out of stock (supposedly it is being discontinued).

Thanks in advance for advice/tips.
If you don’t like their bumper then send it back.stock bumper ( I have one ) is not very strong . Not all holes are the same

Yeah Extreme Terrain is telling me to cut a hole into the bumper and that the tire carrier will mount below it to the frame. It sounds like a bad idea. Maybe I can convince them to give me a discount on the bumper vs picking all this stuff up.

The AEV Rear Tire Carrier requires the AEV rear bumper.

Secondly, the AEV Fuel Caddy requires the AEV Rear Tire Carrier.

The tire carrier is attached to the rear frame of the Jeep, through a hole in the AEV rear bumper. Said hole does not exist on the OEM steel rear bumper.

It’s an attractive package that addresses a few issues like heavy large spares and extra fuel, but unfortunately you gotta go all in with the complete package.
Thanks for confirming. This is 100% correct without a risky attempt to alter the stock bumper.

My2c. aEV bumper/carrier/fuel caddy is a worthy addition. if you go that direction, high likelihood someone will be interested in the mopar bumpers and offset the cost a bit.

My2c. aEV bumper/carrier/fuel caddy is a worthy addition. if you go that direction, high likelihood someone will be interested in the mopar bumpers and offset the cost a bit.
I see that you have both the front and rear AEV bumpers. Thoughts on just installing the rear bumper? Would it match with the stock front bumper?

The rear bumper blends in so well and looks factory. I think it would look just fine with the factory bumper on the front but that’s just a matter of taste.
Because we have a Mopar Steele as a standard option, I think it’s a good complement.( I would feel differently if it was the plastic bumper we see on non-Rubicon models. )

My Jeep shop said they could install it with the stock rear bumper no problem. AEV had a similar installation for the JK's. I ordered rear side molle panels that stated "not compatible with SOT"...sure it is if you drill out the original 6 panel mounts and add bolts.

On the JK platform, the AEV rear bumper had the option of carrying water in each corner. I don't think you get that option anymore, so other than it "looks different" and "it's expensive". There's not really a functional benefit to buying the bumper. I might just try punching the hole in my stock one when the time comes.

The rear bumper blends in so well and looks factory. I think it would look just fine with the factory bumper on the front but that’s just a matter of taste.
Because we have a Mopar Steele as a standard option, I think it’s a good complement.( I would feel differently if it was the plastic bumper we see on non-Rubicon models. )
Rubicon comes standard with plastic bumper.

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 2.13.27 PM.png

Maybe this is something that’s changed, but my understanding is this setup would NOT work on 392’s because of the Mopar tailgate reinforcement; the antenna mount sticks out too far for the fuel caddy to mount. I’d be a happy camper if this is something AEV updated?!

Maybe this is something that’s changed, but my understanding is this setup would NOT work on 392’s because of the Mopar tailgate reinforcement; the antenna mount sticks out too far for the fuel caddy to mount. I’d be a happy camper if this is something AEV updated?!
Thats what they say but that stub can be ground out.

You will need something stronger than the Mopar tailgate reinforcement anyway if you are holding 19 gallons (I think) of fuel there. Mine was struggling with heavy 35's and a tailgate table.

If the carrier is not mounted to the tailgate with this setup simply remove the factory reinforcement.

I had to removed the Mopar tailgate reinforcement for the fuel caddy. I also had to add some bump stops in between the carrier and the tire. If you have an offset wheel you will not be able to pull the tire in close enough due to the thickness of the fuel tank.

Thats what they say but that stub can be ground out.

You will need something stronger than the Mopar tailgate reinforcement anyway if you are holding 19 gallons (I think) of fuel there. Mine was struggling with heavy 35's and a tailgate table.

If the carrier is not mounted to the tailgate with this setup simply remove the factory reinforcement.
The AEV carrier mounts to the frame, so none of the weight of the tire/fuel/gear is carried by either the tailgate or the bumper, which is nice.

My last AVE carrier had about three inches of clearance between the tailgate and the carrier supports, if it's hitting that flag pole mount, it's awfully tight.... but after dropping 3k on the bumper/carrier/fuel setup, swapping out the tailgate hinge shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I had to removed the Mopar tailgate reinforcement for the fuel caddy. I also had to add some bump stops in between the carrier and the tire. If you have an offset wheel you will not be able to pull the tire in close enough due to the thickness of the fuel tank.
The older style was adjustable for different wheels and tires. The wheel mounting flange passed through the center of the tank, and was adjustable with a big bolt, and held in place with a couple of set screws (bolts really). I remember it took a bit of trial and error to get the right fitment. Do they not do it that way anymore?

They are adjustable, but once you install the fuel caddy part of the fuel tank it is between the carrier and the wheel. You can only pull in the wheel mounting flange until it contacts the fuel caddy. If you keep pulling it in it will crush the fuel caddy. It works fine for a factory or AEV wheel but if you have an aftermarket wheel (4.5" BS or less) it starts to crush the fuel caddy. The tank is between the mounting flange and the tire carrier.

Attachments

• AEV Fuel Caddy.jpg
    AEV Fuel Caddy.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 21
The AEV carrier mounts to the frame, so none of the weight of the tire/fuel/gear is carried by either the tailgate or the bumper, which is nice.
Not surprised. Then the factory plate can be removed.

They are adjustable, but once you install the fuel caddy part of the fuel tank it is between the carrier and the wheel. You can only pull in the wheel mounting flange until it contacts the fuel caddy. If you keep pulling it in it will crush the fuel caddy. It works fine for a factory or AEV wheel but if you have an aftermarket wheel (4.5" BS or less) it starts to crush the fuel caddy. The tank is between the mounting flange and the tire carrier.
Would it be possible to put a spacer between wheel and caddy to move spare away?

Back