Crazy how there can be a physical break down of the 392 MDS HEMI and it be determined that if MDS disabled electronically, oil does not get everywhere it should which could cause issues.
However, you have many people who have disabled MDS electronically with the same engine and put miles on the engine without issues.
Has there ever been anybody who has had lifter failure after disabling MDS electronically? I can’t fi
This debate will continue until someone does multiple engine tear downs on engines that have electronically disabled MDS. Like you, I never find anything concrete that convinces me. The videos that have surfaced are of people making opinionated claims without evidence, or it’s people like this guy running these MacGyver tests. He tests turning on MDS on an engine that’s demonstrating idle. MDS doesn’t engage when idling, so that test is pointless to me.Ok. After using AI to scrub the internet to find anybody who had disabled MDS with the 392 HEMI (regardless of what platform it’s in), I cannot find anybody who has had lifter failure after disabling it electronically.
However, I did find something very interesting. 392 mounted to a manual transmission from factory do NOT have MDS but even those engines have documented lifter failure. This is leading me to believe that MDS isn’t the cause of lifter failure in the 392.
I’m starting to believe this is an oil pressure and oil quality issue. It seems the best thing to do is to change the oil in short intervals and do not idle for extended periods of time.
I’m going to keep digging up until the day I take delivery. By then, I’ll drive it and enjoy it.