Winch Question

JD37064

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
Sarge Green 392, Porsche 911 GTS
Although it will be minimally used (hopefully never!) I'd like to put a winch on my 392. I've seen a few posts in other forums about the effect of the weight of the winch and how it can lower a standard JL by an inch or more and cause the steering to feel heavy. I'd like to avoid both issues obviously. Not sure how the weight impacts the 392 as I know it's already built to handle the added weight of the Hemi. Can anyone with a winch on their 392 chime in? Thanks

Mine dropped nearly an inch with a warn EVO 10 and warn winch plate. Thinking about .75 inch spacers in the front until I decide on lift kit. I’m not it a rush to lift it yet. Left is before winch install.

Attachments

• 0241893B-081E-4478-B41D-47FB907C1CCF.jpeg
    0241893B-081E-4478-B41D-47FB907C1CCF.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 182
  • FB6F3958-22D4-44EB-A8F9-56CB7C380FED.jpeg
    FB6F3958-22D4-44EB-A8F9-56CB7C380FED.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 173
Mine dropped nearly an inch with a warn EVO 10 and warn winch plate. Thinking about .75 inch spacers in the front until I decide on lift kit. I’m not it a rush to lift it yet. Left is before winch install.
I'm new to Wranglers and don't know what a spacer does but it sounds like a less than perfect solution. Did you notice the added weight in the front with regards to performance or turning?

I really didn’t notice any difference in performance. A spacer is basically a body leveling kit over the springs. Pretty inexpensive and minimal difference in everyday driving. But yes not ideal fix and not good for hard core wheeling. Mine will get a proper lift at some point this year after a few more hit the market for the 392

I installed a Warn Zeon 12S Platinum with a Warn winch plate, I noticed 1/2" drop initially, and about 5/8" drop after getting the suspension to relax after about 100 mile's absolutely no handling issue's.
The Jeep was designed with a factory winch ready bumper, with those facts in mind I can't believe Jeep didn't take the winch weight into consideration when designing the front suspension. Over the last 40+years of owning Jeeps I never had any suspension issues do to the addition of a winch, but who knows time will tell if Jeep did their homework on the 392 it is a heavy beast on the front end.

Safe Travels!

The front springs are 15% stiffer (the back one are 10% softer). I put on a Warn 9.5 cti. I can't tell any difference. When choosing a winch, checkout the duty cycle of the winch you are considering.
20210825_123531.jpg
It it makes a difference. Also how tall it is, consider air flow to the radiator.
20210825_123531.jpg

The front springs are 15% stiffer (the back one are 10% softer). I put on a Warn 9.5 cti. I can't tell any difference. When choosing a winch, checkout the duty cycle of the winch you are considering. View attachment 1099It it makes a difference. Also how tall it is, consider air flow to the radiator. View attachment 1099
Since it will be used lightly I got a Warn Evo 10s

I can tell you the installation of the Warn Zeon 12s with the warn winch plate was a very tight fit, I had to trim the top corner's off the inside of the frame bumper bracket's by a 1/4" with the passenger side being the tightest it was actually touching the corner of the winch scratching the paint off the winch.

Not a big deal to trim them but I thought I would mention it, The Warn EVO 10s main body is probably smaller so hopefully you won't have that issue.

I can tell you the installation of the Warn Zeon 12s with the warn winch plate was a very tight fit, I had to trim the top corner's off the inside of the frame bumper bracket's by a 1/4" with the passenger side being the tightest it was actually touching the corner of the winch scratching the paint off the winch.

Not a big deal to trim them but I thought I would mention it, The Warn EVO 10s main body is probably smaller so hopefully you won't have that issue.
I'm not competent enough to do it myself but the 4x4 shop that's doing the work claims the Evo 10 or Zeon 10 fits perfectly with no modifications. Still not sure I'm going to do it as most on here say the weight drops the front down slightly. It may not even matter and of course it can be removed.

The front springs are 15% stiffer (the back one are 10% softer). I put on a Warn 9.5 cti. I can't tell any difference. When choosing a winch, checkout the duty cycle of the winch you are considering. View attachment 1099It it makes a difference. Also how tall it is, consider air flow to the radiator. View attachment 1099
According to online specs your winch is like 87 pounds and the Evo 10 is only 48, so if your winch doesn't sag your front end, the lighter one I'm considering should be even less of an issue. Thanks for the reply.

Since it will be used lightly I got a Warn Evo 10s
Warn is a leader in the winch field. If you can turn a wrench and follow the instructions (they are pretty good instructions too) you can do this yourself. 4 bolts each side to remove the bumper. 8 bolts to add the winch mounting plate. 4 bolts for the winch. Running the cables back to the battery is a exercise in patience. Finding the right path. Either way good choice and good luck.

Back