What is this?

RMAG

Reaction score
Current Rides
2008 JK, 2019 JL, 2023 JT
I just got my 392.

Took off the rock rails and noticed this on the passenger side front wheel well:
IMG_6684.jpeg

What is that metal bracket for? I have a 2019 Sahara and it doesn’t have it. Couldn’t figure out its purpose.

What about the driver? I didn’t see that on the driver side?

The two bolts that go through the frame (top two) are too long to pull out they hit the body and must be loosened then cut off then removed just takes a few minutes . Grind off the bracket paint up the frame presto no more rock anchor 🤪

I noticed it as well this morning my 2022 didn't have it but my 24 does, curious on why it doesn't also have it on driver side

I noticed it as well this morning my 2022 didn't have it but my 24 does, curious on why it doesn't also have it on driver side

What about the driver? I didn’t see that on the driver side?

Because the driver side axle is much shorter. Look where the pumpkin (diff) is. That's the pivot point where front axle would give in case of an accident, so the passenger side being longer would pivot more and potentially allow the tire to intrude the cabin.

Because the driver side axle is much shorter. Look where the pumpkin (diff) is. That's the pivot point where front axle would give in case of an accident, so the passenger side being longer would pivot more and potentially allow the tire to intrude the cabin.
I believe it’s not the tire coming into the cab but rather the tire folding underneath the Jeep then the Jeep flipping over. just my thoughts
Good point about axel strength being stronger on driver side

I believe it’s not the tire coming into the cab but rather the tire folding underneath the Jeep then the Jeep flipping over. just my thoughts
Good point about axel strength being stronger on driver side
Bingo! We have a winner. Jeep found that the passenger side front tire would fold under the vehicle on crash testing, causing it to roll over. The bracket on the passenger side frame prevents this, and they get a better crash rating because of it.

I believe Scott Blum mentioned relation to offset/overlap crash test which relates to cabin intrusion vs rollover.

That’s a $150 price increase and it’s a pain in the ass to take off.

It doesn't even cover the hole in the frame right beside it, to be useful in keeping salt out!
Put a piece of gorilla tape over that hole, because you don't want that frame rusting from inside - out. I wish I had done that for my TJ.

It doesn't even cover the hole in the frame right beside it, to be useful in keeping salt out!
Put a piece of gorilla tape over that hole, because you don't want that frame rusting from inside - out. I wish I had done that for my TJ.
Yep covered Those holes and a few other holes in the frame

Its a rock anchor and one of the first things I removed on mine as well as the rear bumper.

Along the theme of What’s This… I found this cover sitting loose in the glove box of my new to me ‘22 392. What does it go to? The diagram should provide a hint, but it has me and a Jeepaholic buddy stumped.
IMG_5343.jpeg
IMG_5344.jpeg

Along the theme of What’s This… I found this cover sitting loose in the glove box of my new to me ‘22 392. What does it go to? The diagram should provide a hint, but it has me and a Jeepaholic buddy stumped. View attachment 34572View attachment 34573
I showed this to my brilliant wife. She said it looks like something to do with the windshield. She may have cracked the diagram code. If one were to fold windshield forward, this looks like it would cover the sensor housing behind the rear view mirror. If she’s right, that will prove that she is hot and smart - dangerous.

I showed this to my brilliant wife. She said it looks like something to do with the windshield. She may have cracked the diagram code. If one were to fold windshield forward, this looks like it would cover the sensor housing behind the rear view mirror. If she’s right, that will prove that she is hot and smart - dangerous.
Yep that’s it

Back