Top Off Security Ideas

bigfishbobby

Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 392
Here is my (likely common) scenario. I just bought half doors and I’m taking the top off. I have a rear facing subwoofer in an external box sitting behind the rear seats, facing the tailgate. Works and sounds great. Does anyone have a fabulous (and cost efficient) idea for making it theft deterrent? Obviously, if they want it bad enough they will get it, but I’d rather make them work harder than just clipping the wires and taking it.

Here is my (likely common) scenario. I just bought half doors and I’m taking the top off. I have a rear facing subwoofer in an external box sitting behind the rear seats, facing the tailgate. Works and sounds great. Does anyone have a fabulous (and cost efficient) idea for making it theft deterrent? Obviously, if they want it bad enough they will get it, but I’d rather make them work harder than just clipping the wires and taking it.
How big is it? Pics? You could use security screws and fasten it to one of the floor tie down mounting points. Just a measure to slow down a thief though.

Take the cover off the sub and bolt it to the floor or the cargo rail if you have it..... then put the cover back on, making the fasteners not obvious.

??

DECBCE49-671A-458A-A417-2ED51C664BFD.jpeg

Reactions: RJP
I’m still thinking the cleanest way is the locking cargo cover but I don’t really have anything else in the back that often and that cover costs like $600 o_O

I’m still thinking the cleanest way is the locking cargo cover but I don’t really have anything else in the back that often and that cover costs like $600 o_O
Box looks cool. $600 you spend could save you damage to your Jeep some clown might do. Curious why you didn't go with the JL boxes?

Box looks cool. $600 you spend could save you damage to your Jeep some clown might do. Curious why you didn't go with the JL boxes?
Probably should have, but this was a Best Buy free install so….it was very functional prior to the purchase of half doors. Now, not so much. I’ll probably take a hard look at Jeep Beach if there are any vendors selling the cargo covers.

Maybe y’all are smarter than me but….if I bought this and used my half doors, what would keep someone from just reaching in, unlocking the doors, opening the tailgate and taking whatever they want?
EZTRUNK

Maybe y’all are smarter than me but….if I bought this and used my half doors, what would keep someone from just reaching in, unlocking the doors, opening the tailgate and taking whatever they want?
EZTRUNK
I'm ASSUMING the alarm will go off if you unlock the half doors with the inside button. They also may not unlock with that button if the FOB is not nearby. I usually locked my half doors because at least it sets the alarm. You have me wondering and wishing I had tried it when my half doors were on.

How about pop your bed tie-downs through your mat holes in the back, and run a fixed strap/cable of some sort. Maybe run through some loops on the woofer and a secured latch. Transom strap across with a bolt or wire on the buckle. Just making it difficult will stop most. The others will get what they want regardless.
3986143E-9FE8-4452-8496-83FBA1554090.jpeg

That is me, no issues yet but if it involves Walmart it will be a very quick in-n-out.

How about pop your bed tie-downs through your mat holes in the back, and run a fixed strap/cable of some sort. Maybe run through some loops on the woofer and a secured latch. Transom strap across with a bolt or wire on the buckle. Just making it difficult will stop most. The others will get what they want regardless.View attachment 17900
I started looking around at straps that have steel cables and locking mechanisms and kind of came to the same conclusion. I think you may be on to something. Thanks!

When I can get topless and get my half doors on. I elected to go with a Pelican case. The case seals to keep dust and water out. You can lock the case. The plan is to use short tie downs on either side and the use a cable lock to the cargo ties in the floor. To hopefully keep it in the Jeep. I thought of a trunk. But wanted it to be easily removable in case I want to haul something else. The case isn’t huge but will hold my rain cover and extras.

Attachments

• 58627D9A-4D13-43C0-9146-46F25A028EA7.jpeg
    58627D9A-4D13-43C0-9146-46F25A028EA7.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 3F58037E-B39E-498B-BA93-A9F4092419B8.jpeg
    3F58037E-B39E-498B-BA93-A9F4092419B8.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 4E829FB6-2D3D-482F-AA19-8DBD1A3DDF76.jpeg
    4E829FB6-2D3D-482F-AA19-8DBD1A3DDF76.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 23
EZTRUNK
I use EZ trunk on JK. Very happy with it. I run topless and doorless when ice melts and this is enough to keep honest people honest.
Also have a Tuffy lock box under seat for pew pews.

Hey there... based on your speaker location you could anchor it to the metal plate that holds the carpet flaps down between the seats and the cargo area. If you put in a couple of ¼ inch bolts through that plate, through the carpet/cargo mat, and anchored them inside the base of the speaker enclosure, I think that would make it very hard to yank out. If you wanted to take it to 11 you could use anti-theft bolts. It would look something like this... (I used my NASA developed super computer high tech rendering software)
IMG_9065.jpeg

I added another cool patch to your collection... to help deter thieves. ;)(y)

Last edited:
So not to be a smart ass but if you want to run topless and not get your stuff (speaker) stolen the cheapest way to do that is just leave the speaker home. I know that’s not the option you are looking for but nothing will stop a thief.
You can look at it two ways
1. Try to prevent theft, if it gets stolen then you go with out the speaker anyway.
2. Leave the speaker home when topless and go with out the speaker for a shorter time but you still own a speaker.

when I’m topless and in public I take everything out even the rear floor mats. If I’m out for a ride in the woods I throw what I may need back in.

I remember a thread from a jk forum about things stolen from Jeeps and there were people who had everything from their rear seats, tube doors, tool kits you name it and it was stolen. Luckily I have only lost a set of shackles off my bumper (top on). Jeeps are a big target for theft and a $80k-$90k 392 is an even bigger target, a thief knows you got money. Best way to remove temptation is to remove the temptation.

Back