Storage solutions thread

64Chevy

Reaction score
Current Rides
2015 JKUR, 2013 911 C4S, 2018 GT350
Hi all, first post here. I'm an owner of a 2015 JKUR. My bride and I stopped by and looked at a 392, and we are debating colors but I'm a week or so away from placing an order. Because I'm type A compulsive, I am trying to sort out my anticipated mods prior to making the upgrade (they include a winch, rock rails/steps, possibly a lift, underbody armor, and in vehicle storage). My bride and I do a lot of "off-grid" exploring in addition to moderate rock-crawling (one of our favorite things to do is go down "impassable" backcountry roads). My current rig has a locking drawer under the passenger seat, a Molle rack between the front seats just under the freedom tops, and a rear cargo enclosure. Having looked at a 392 today, the center console storage is smaller, and having searched it appears that front locking drawer underseat storage is not an option. I neglected to look at the door card and front seatback storage, but that doesn't help with several of my issues.

I'd like a very secure place to store both a handgun and a wireless winch controller--I know that there are center console storage options but they appear to have a very limited volume. I bolted a pistol safe to the underside of my current rear cargo enclosure, which works but isn't exactly easily accessible (and I do like having "front and rear" weapon access). I'd hope that this doesn't become a gun discussion, but I have had several very unsavory encounters in the backcountry, and I want to be prepared. I did see some rear underseat storage, and that could possibly work. Thanks for any input.

Bestop and Tuffy make under-seat lock boxes for the front seats - make good use of the area but I had the Bestop and getting to it was a little awkward, so I switched to the console version of theirs. It was a "decent" product. No complaints. But you'll get heavier gauge steel and better locks going with an actual gun safe manufacturer.

Yukon, do you have a link? I've searched, and while they are made for TJs and JKs, I don't see any listed for JLs.

Thank you for the link. I had seen that, and I suspect that is what I'll end up with, but was really hoping there was a passenger under-seat solution. Must be much tighter under there (I didn't look when I was poking around the dealership yesterday).

Ive seen videos of an ARB dual onboard air compressor under the passenger seat. There should be plenty of room.

Just as a point of info, JCR Off-road does make a Molle compatible overhead panel.

Any ideas about a covered, secure storage solution for the place currently occupied by the spare tire on the rear of the Jeep?

Any ideas about a covered, secure storage solution for the place currently occupied by the spare tire on the rear of the Jeep?
I haven't seen much. There are trailer hitch boxes, and I have some fit a metal ammo box (which doesn't offer much room) to the studs on the carrier.

I would think you could get any decent metal fab shop to make you a box to the dimensions you want, with the security you want as well. Folks might be able to offer more directed solutions if you could tell us what you would plan on putting in the box, and why it wouldn't be in the Jeep.

On the Tuffy:
https://tuffyproducts.com/products/...ep-2020-2021-gladiator-2018-2021-wrangler-jl/

BestTop was a JK. I think they do still make something, but it might be a universal fit versus a JL specific solution.

Check the Tuffy... you might like it. They have both a console box and a tailgate box that might address both your needs.
I bought the Tuffy JL center console lock box but when I tried to install it, it was too large/tall for the 392 center console. When I contacted Tuffy about the problem they said that the 392 console is shallower because of it's unique drive train and they sent me the correct size side/upright panels at no charge. It works well but way to shallow of a storage area for my liking and the lid is below the compartment's light and USB port. Just something to consider.

Last edited:
Thanks @Shortcut .

guess I’ll still have plenty of time to search as the eternal “D” status continues….

Thanks @Shortcut .

guess I’ll still have plenty of time to search as the eternal “D” status continues….
You are welcome... BTW, I checked the Tuffy site and there is still no center console lock box listed specifically for the 392, just the JL.

I am looking to get these. I know it’s not center console close but I need storage for tools etc.

Hi all, first post here. I'm an owner of a 2015 JKUR. My bride and I stopped by and looked at a 392, and we are debating colors but I'm a week or so away from placing an order. Because I'm type A compulsive, I am trying to sort out my anticipated mods prior to making the upgrade (they include a winch, rock rails/steps, possibly a lift, underbody armor, and in vehicle storage). My bride and I do a lot of "off-grid" exploring in addition to moderate rock-crawling (one of our favorite things to do is go down "impassable" backcountry roads). My current rig has a locking drawer under the passenger seat, a Molle rack between the front seats just under the freedom tops, and a rear cargo enclosure. Having looked at a 392 today, the center console storage is smaller, and having searched it appears that front locking drawer underseat storage is not an option. I neglected to look at the door card and front seatback storage, but that doesn't help with several of my issues.

I'd like a very secure place to store both a handgun and a wireless winch controller--I know that there are center console storage options but they appear to have a very limited volume. I bolted a pistol safe to the underside of my current rear cargo enclosure, which works but isn't exactly easily accessible (and I do like having "front and rear" weapon access). I'd hope that this doesn't become a gun discussion, but I have had several very unsavory encounters in the backcountry, and I want to be prepared. I did see some rear underseat storage, and that could possibly work. Thanks for any input.
One solution that works for me as far a gun/smaller valuables storage area is concerned is one of the solutions offered by Stack-on. Here are photos of how I am using one of their products under the driver's seat from the left rear passanger's point of view, though it is not occupied at the time.
tempImagefU6Sjc.png
tempImageRi35Pu.png
tempImage1JsAUD.png
view.

Resurrecting an old thread..Was any console safe released for 392 ?

Bought Lock’er Down JL 4 Door Console Safe and it does not fit the 2022 JLUR 392.

Tuffy the only console option for the 392?

Back