Steering

ParadigmDawg

Reaction score
Current Rides
2023 Wrangler Rubicon 392, 2024 Wrangler Rubicon X
As you may have seen. The noise from my Jeep turned out to be a track-bar bolt that came loose but it was also discovered that my tie-rod is worn out. I am just going to replace the tie-rod, steering stabilizer and drag link.

My shop recommends SteerSmarts and I do trust them but a part of mre kind of wants something cool looking too. I mean something like RPM, MS or another brand that is know to be good and has a color choice other than black.

Any recommendations?

Should I add the Sector shaft bracket at the same time?

Should I attempt the install myself or just pay them to do it?

As you may have seen. The noise from my Jeep turned out to be a track-bar bolt that came loose but it was also discovered that my tie-rod is worn out. I am just going to replace the tie-rod, steering stabilizer and drag link.

My shop recommends SteerSmarts and I do trust them but a part of mre kind of wants something cool looking too. I mean something like RPM, MS or another brand that is know to be good and has a color choice other than black.

Any recommendations?

I have the SteerSmarts brace and it works...quality built too. You can do it, there are a couple good install videos online. I had mine done by my local Jeep shop...easier and quicker.

I have the SteerSmarts brace and it works...quality built too. You can do it, there are a couple good install videos online. I had mine done by my local Jeep shop...easier and quicker.
Did SteerSmart brace clear that extra metal plate?
IMG_8522.jpeg

Any recommendations?

Rusty’s brace and RPM steering for me and I’m very happy
IMG_2916.jpeg

On my '22 JTR I went with Synergy track bar, drag link, tie rod and a Fox ATS stabalizer. Very solid and easy to adjust. Rock solid with my 37s.

Steersmarts (no trimming on my frame tab) brace and JKS trackbar, Fox ATS ss. Works for me. Next up is tie rod and pitman.

Any special reasons why you picked what you picked? I don't see how any of the top ones could much different.

Any special reasons why you picked what you picked? I don't see how any of the top ones could much different.
For me, I just researched and found that steersmarts and fox ss had good reviews by other jl owners. Nothing wrong at all with the other manufacturers. JKS trachbars because they are near me. It's also where I bought my shocks.

Another thing was they were all in-stock. No waiting at the time.

Can't go wrong with any of them and they are better than stock steering.

When I did my Clayton Overland+ 2.5" lift install, it included the RockJock Currectlink Steering system - basically the tie rod and drag link, along with the necessary brackets to relocate the steering stabilized above the tie rod. For the SS I have the Falcon from Teraflex.

Install was easy enough, though my drag link was stuck pretty good on the pitman arm. I used a pickle fork to separate that, and it took some serious blows with a 5# hand sledge.

Also, when I did my lift, I added the Rusty's trackbar brace. I liked how it fastened to not only the steering box bolts, but also to the trackbar mount as well. I did grind a little on that tab on the frame, but I saw no good reason for it to be there on the 392. My steering is very tight and responsive, not at all sloppy. The Rusty's bracket was a good addition and I do recommend a trackbar brace. The adjustable Falcon SS is a great improvement over stock as well.

The RPM & similar stuff is really gorgeous, being aluminum and all. I was still new to Jeeps at that point, and didn't know what I didn't know. The Rockjock stuff has been solid though, I'm very pleased with it.

When I did my Clayton Overland+ 2.5" lift install, it included the RockJock Currectlink Steering system - basically the tie rod and drag link, along with the necessary brackets to relocate the steering stabilized above the tie rod. For the SS I have the Falcon from Teraflex.

Install was easy enough, though my drag link was stuck pretty good on the pitman arm. I used a pickle fork to separate that, and it took some serious blows with a 5# hand sledge.

Also, when I did my lift, I added the Rusty's trackbar brace. I liked how it fastened to not only the steering box bolts, but also to the trackbar mount as well. I did grind a little on that tab on the frame, but I saw no good reason for it to be there on the 392. My steering is very tight and responsive, not at all sloppy. The Rusty's bracket was a good addition and I do recommend a trackbar brace. The adjustable Falcon SS is a great improvement over stock as well.

The RPM & similar stuff is really gorgeous, being aluminum and all. I was still new to Jeeps at that point, and didn't know what I didn't know. The Rockjock stuff has been solid though, I'm very pleased with it.

So with your statement of "and didn't know what I didn't know", would that mean that you would have went aluminum?

So with your statement of "and didn't know what I didn't know", would that mean that you would have went aluminum?

It’s hard to say. Aluminum is sexy and looks awesome, but I have no regrets with the RockJock set up. I haven’t compared costs between the two either.

If I switched now, it’d be purely for aesthetics, but I do like the incognito appearance of the black finish on the RockJock.

It’s hard to say. Aluminum is sexy and looks awesome, but I have no regrets with the RockJock set up. I haven’t compared costs between the two either.

If I switched now, it’d be purely for aesthetics, but I do like the incognito appearance of the black finish on the RockJock.
I think I am too hung up on looks vs function. I will ask then one more time why they picked SteerSmarts for me and then roll with whatever they say. Like I said, I trust them 100%.

I think I am too hung up on looks vs function. I will ask then one more time why they picked SteerSmarts for me and then roll with whatever they say. Like I said, I trust them 100%.
It’s a solid plan!

I may be mistaken, but I think Steer Smarts only bolts through the steering box bolts.

I have no dog in the fight, but Rusty’s bolts through the steering box bolts, AND, it also bolts through the OEM track bar mount. I figured with 37s, more was better. It’s purely unscientific though, on my assumption. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s a solid plan!

I may be mistaken, but I think Steer Smarts only bolts through the steering box bolts.

I have no dog in the fight, but Rusty’s bolts through the steering box bolts, AND, it also bolts through the OEM track bar mount. I figured with 37s, more was better. It’s purely unscientific though, on my assumption. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You are correct. However it is solid it comes with new trackbar bolt that ties it all together plus sector shaft sealed bearing support bracket. Also new 10.9 bolts for steering box and bracket

Any recommendations?

My 392 has a Metalcloak 2.5" lift and 37s. I wanted to tighten up the steering as well and did it in different steps. First was the Metalcloak 2.5" lift with its track bar and control arms. The Jeep felt a little more solid afterwards, despite the added height. Next, I added the Metalcloak secter shaft brace and track bar brace. This did make a noticeable improvement in how solid it felt. It wasn't a huge difference, but it was noticeable. Finally, I changed from the stock tie rod and drag link to a Metalcloak tie rod and drag link, as well as changed from stock ball joints to Dynatrac ball joints, and that made a huge difference. It felt rock solid afterward with all vagueness totally gone. It now drove significantly better than it had on day 1, when it was brand new. My 392 only had 13,000 miles on it, but it had seen several trails in Moab, the Rubicon Trail, and other tough trails. The stock tie rod ends had visible movement in them and already had too much wear. And I was surprised how worn the stock ball joints already were. The right upper ball joint was sloppy loose.

I think any of the major brands will be a big improvement over the under engineered and rapid wearing stock parts.

Last edited:
My 392 has a Metalcloak 2.5" lift and 37s. I wanted to tighten up the steering as well and did it in different steps. First was the Metalcloak 2.5" lift with its track bar and control arms. The Jeep felt a little more solid afterwards, despite the added height. Next, I added the Metalcloak secter shaft brace and track bar brace. This did make a noticeable improvement in how solid it felt. It wasn't a huge difference, but it was noticeable. Finally, I changed from the stock tie rod and drag link to a Metalcloak tie rod and drag link, as well as changed from stock ball joints to Dynatrac ball joints, and that made a huge difference. It felt rock solid afterward with all vagueness totally gone. It now drove significantly better than it had on day 1, when it was brand new. My 392 only had 13,000 miles on it, but it had seen several trails in Moab, the Rubicon Trail, and other tough trails. The stock tie rod ends had visible movement in them and already had too much wear. And I was surprised how worn the stock ball joints already were. The right upper ball joint was sloppy loose.

I think any of the major brands will be a big improvement over the under engineered and rapid wearing stock parts.
Very interesting on the ball joints. My shop stated that he seldom sees ball joint issues/failures on the JL platform. They build several ground up, really built Jeeps per week including the custom Jeeps for Alpine. My little Teraflex 3.5/Falcon 3.3s on 37s build was a very small job for them but they always go out of their way to take care of me.

I am running by there today to get everything settled and get it ordered.

BTW, I am at 13000 miles too.

Back