Sky top owners. What is this plastic for and wtf are these holes for?

rocketman

Reaction score
Current Rides
23 392
Hi ladies and gents. I have a rattle from the top. I am pretty sure its coming from this plastic piece that runs the width of the 392 (marked in red), right above the sound bar behind the driver's head. If I stick my finger under it, no more rattle. It doesn't move when the top is opening or fully opened or closed.

1. Any ideas what it is for? I want to just stick some weatherstripping under it. I am debating going to the dealer but I'd rather not have two dudes joyriding my vehicle to find a rattle. I got Ferris Bueller type anxiety.

2. And what are these four holes (marked in white)??

Please enjoy my masterpiece art work showing my concerns.

EDIT:

I looked at mine and the bar you have highlighted in red looks to be a structural cross bar for the SOT. I’m thinking it aids with keeping the top rigid when it’s folded back / open. I know @Turboencabulator has taken his completely off and can give you some better guidance. I wonder if just loosening the top and checking under the bar and refitting it would help resolve your noise?

Also see this thread for a possible fix:

I think those are the holes the freedom top anchors/hold downs/whatever they are called would mount.
nicely done! yes those two sets of holes are for the two "Latch Brackets" (Mopar Part: 68469897AA) to hold the freedom top panels.
Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 12.13.22 PM.png

As far as the other bar it is part of the Sky One Touch Top. It (should) have two pads underneath it already to stop any vibration. But I like your idea @rocketman of adding a little weatherstripping to help stop any vibrations. Here is a photo of the SOT lifted off for the summer showing the underside, hope it helps.
IMG_9647.jpeg

Thank you all so much! I appreciate all the info!

@Robr651 that bar actually stays in place even with the top open. The creaking is replicated by a front to back motion and not really an up and down. With my finger under it, it seems quiet. I am going to stuff a bit of weatherstrip under it and see how it goes. I just didn't want to do something dumb without asking here.

@ameldorf good call! Thank you! I thought they left something off at the factory!

@Turboencabulator incredible! Thank you! I have those pads underneath! It seems that the slack between it and the roll/sound bar is allowing the plastic to flex. I THINK taking up that slack will alleviate it. I am going to give it a shot and report back.

Thank you all so much! I appreciate all the info!

@Robr651 that bar actually stays in place even with the top open. The creaking is replicated by a front to back motion and not really an up and down. With my finger under it, it seems quiet. I am going to stuff a bit of weatherstrip under it and see how it goes. I just didn't want to do something dumb without asking here.

@ameldorf good call! Thank you! I thought they left something off at the factory!

@Turboencabulator incredible! Thank you! I have those pads underneath! It seems that the slack between it and the roll/sound bar is allowing the plastic to flex. I THINK taking up that slack will alleviate it. I am going to give it a shot and report back.
I know that it remains in place, I have the SOT on mine. My assumption is it’s there to add some lateral rigidity to the top when it’s open / retracted

I know that it remains in place, I have the SOT on mine. My assumption is it’s there to add some lateral rigidity to the top when it’s open / retracted

I didn't doubt you had one. My bad if thats how it came across. The plastic thing has so much flex, it almost seemed pointless. It just bounces along!

Update: I put a piece of air conditioner weatherproofing. Its a piece of foam you cut to size. So far after a 15 minute drive, it appears to have completely gotten rid of the noise!

I didn't doubt you had one. My bad if thats how it came across. The plastic thing has so much flex, it almost seemed pointless. It just bounces along!

Update: I put a piece of air conditioner weatherproofing. Its a piece of foam you cut to size. So far after a 15 minute drive, it appears to have completely gotten rid of the noise!
No offense taken happy you got it fixed easily.

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back