Sad Day

Nope. Bone stock engine.
I wouldn’t read too much into the dealer testing the gas, especially after you told them you just filled the tank before the engine blew. With no mods to the engine and many miles beyiond the “break-in” period, I don’t see how Stellantis can come up with any other conclusion except “stuff happens”; ship a replacement engine; get the customer back on the road.

Well, I happened to read this thread last night, and guess what just happened… ‘21 with 4500 miles. Came out of the gym, did the remote start, and the sound of a bent / bad valve extremely prominent well beyond the usual cold start lifter knock sound before they warm up. Shut her down and about to call a dealership to have her towed. Bone stock engine, Shell 93 Octane gas, always.

Any advice before I call it in to be towed? Sad day indeed, love my baby.

Well, I happened to read this thread last night, and guess what just happened… ‘21 with 4500 miles. Came out of the gym, did the remote start, and the sound of a bent / bad valve extremely prominent well beyond the usual cold start lifter knock sound before they warm up. Shut her down and about to call a dealership to have her towed. Bone stock engine, Shell 93 Octane gas, always.

Any advice before I call it in to be towed? Sad day indeed, love my baby.
I went to the dealership yesterday. My engine is completely trashed. The service tech said the valve came loose and punched a hole in the piston. He showed me the pictures. I’ll posted them as soon as he sends them to me. Not much you can do. Just have it towed and wait. They did loan me a 2023 Grand Cherokee. They said it will probably be around Christmas before they get it back to me.

If you can get that back by Chrismas with the new engine, that seems pretty good. Considering all the delays we’ve been having with all normal other aspects of last last couple years, I’d be happy with a one month turn around.

I went to the dealership yesterday. My engine is completely trashed. The service tech said the valve came loose and punched a hole in the piston. He showed me the pictures. I’ll posted them as soon as he sends them to me. Not much you can do. Just have it towed and wait. They did loan me a 2023 Grand Cherokee. They said it will probably be around Christmas before they get it back to me.
Ooooof, so sorry to hear that. No word on root cause? Is this a 'thing'? Best wishes. I had her towed, and I have the 8 year Mopar extended warranty, so feeling optimistic. In my case the engine was still running, just knocking really loud, so maybe a repair vs. replacement. Part of me would prefer a replacement... What about the other 7 valves, etc...

I would be an absolute nervous wreck if I had to have my motor replaced but have read a number of threads where it was a non-issue. Maybe I am off but I think the nature of our Scat Pack 392's might have a slightly higher probability of catastrophic failures due to the high performance nature of the motor and the higher propensity for people to "lead foot" them just to hear that intoxicating exhaust sound. While my wife's 2020 Expedition as well as my deleted F250 Powerstroke haul ass, they don't have that sound that makes you want to just stay in it more than other vehicles. Good to see FCA taking care of the rare engine failures that occur in the warranty period.

How can so many of these 392 engines have these failures when they’re the basis for the supercharged version? Seems crazy. Seems scary

How can so many of these 392 engines have these failures when they’re the basis for the supercharged version? Seems crazy. Seems scary
How many are we talking about? And as a percentage of 382s on the road today,, how does that match up with engine issues with any other vehicle? (Maybe it is not as prevalent a problem as it seems?)

Just saw this thread...I'd be going nuts until I got it back and all was good.. So sorry to hear members going through this. With under 400 miles on the clock, I'll be more aware than normal of any odd sounds or behaviors in my ride.

@jandersendo , if you're referring to the supercharged Hellcat variants they are running 6.2 engines. I've had the good fortune to own a '15 and '16 Hellcat and a '19 Redeye Widebody. Was a "trade up" process and I sold the Redeye for cash. Miss it but couldn't keep it and have another vehicle as a retiree on a fixed income. They had beefed up inners to handle the hp and torque. Issue there tended to be supercharger bearings. I was fortunate and had no issues.

From what I've read, the 392 isn't the best choice for supercharging. Don't know if that is accurate. My engine will remain stock...really enjoying this ride even though I'm still following break-in protocols. Had 1 freaky day where steam was coming from under the hood after a short 2 mile drive. Only happened that one time at under 100 miles. I videoed it in case there is a future issue.

Good luck and positive juju to members with the engine failures. Hoping all works out well in the end!

Just saw this thread...I'd be going nuts until I got it back and all was good.. So sorry to hear members going through this. With under 400 miles on the clock, I'll be more aware than normal of any odd sounds or behaviors in my ride.

@jandersendo , if you're referring to the supercharged Hellcat variants they are running 6.2 engines. I've had the good fortune to own a '15 and '16 Hellcat and a '19 Redeye Widebody. Was a "trade up" process and I sold the Redeye for cash. Miss it but couldn't keep it and have another vehicle as a retiree on a fixed income. They had beefed up inners to handle the hp and torque. Issue there tended to be supercharger bearings. I was fortunate and had no issues.

From what I've read, the 392 isn't the best choice for supercharging. Don't know if that is accurate. My engine will remain stock...really enjoying this ride even though I'm still following break-in protocols. Had 1 freaky day where steam was coming from under the hood after a short 2 mile drive. Only happened that one time at under 100 miles. I videoed it in case there is a future issue.

Good luck and positive juju to members with the engine failures. Hoping all works out well in the end!
From what I've read the 6.4 bottom end isn't designed or strong enough for forced induction. The 6.2 is. As far as your steam event the only issue I have seen is the coolant pipe O ring at the rear of the water pump spits out from improper assembly. That area is just visible from the top. There are some posts about that with some good pics either here or on the JL forums.

From what I've read the 6.4 bottom end isn't designed or strong enough for forced induction. The 6.2 is. As far as your steam event the only issue I have seen is the coolant pipe O ring at the rear of the water pump spits out from improper assembly. That area is just visible from the top. There are some posts about that with some good pics either here or on the JL forums.
Thanks, Quadjeeper! I'll check it out.

Ooooof, so sorry to hear that. No word on root cause? Is this a 'thing'? Best wishes. I had her towed, and I have the 8 year Mopar extended warranty, so feeling optimistic. In my case the engine was still running, just knocking really loud, so maybe a repair vs. replacement. Part of me would prefer a replacement... What about the other 7 valves, etc...
The service tech believes that the valve wasn’t installed correctly causing it to work loose and eventually fall out into the chamber. The valve destroyed the piston and cylinder walls. I couldn’t tell how much damage there was to the cylinder wall but he sounded confident FCA was just going to replace the engine.

There are a couple of posts related to that. Here is one:
https://www.jeep392.com/threads/fluid-leak-–-looks-like-radiator.1544/#post-28593

There are a couple of posts related to that. Here is one:
https://www.jeep392.com/threads/fluid-leak-–-looks-like-radiator.1544/#post-28593

Thank you! I feel like I spend 1/2 my life over the last couple of weeks owning the 392 reading threads. There is a lot of info, always something I haven't seen yet....

I'm thankful there are folks like you who take the time to share.

Here’s the pictures the dealer sent me. It happened to the #4 cylinder.

Attachments

• 91B00124-1DB9-4BCB-9CFA-E4886E6EDAF0.jpeg
    91B00124-1DB9-4BCB-9CFA-E4886E6EDAF0.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 99
  • F906A258-9890-4498-8E0B-AB4A40620309.jpeg
    F906A258-9890-4498-8E0B-AB4A40620309.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 6AE75CC3-61DA-48D1-AB7A-4DB170B93C11.jpeg
    6AE75CC3-61DA-48D1-AB7A-4DB170B93C11.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 100
I have a 2021 392 that sounded like it had some lifter clap at around 3000 miles, it was really loud when you’re sitting in a drive-through next to a wall at idle. Knowing I was going to be putting a lift and axle swap etc. down the road I took it into the dealer ahead of time where they swap the cam and lifters. I came in to pick it up we started it up drove it around the block, brought it back revved it up noise was still there. Thank God I had a long relationship with a service writer and he did whatever he needed to do to get the engine swapped, the noise has not returned as of yet. I’m not sure if it was a crank thrust rattle or some thing on the top end, it’s really hard to tell but the new motor definitely does not have the same clap.

Back