Rearview mirror placement

I also have a 2021 non XR....the mirror does appear higher than the OP's....I wonder if the part number is different and could be retrofitted

Attachments

• 20221121_150508.jpg
    20221121_150508.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 25
If you can use the rear view mirror to see anything out the back window your tires are too small. 😝
Interesting....I have 37" STT PRO mounted on Teraflex HD mount and can see out the back window just fine (better than I could in my JK with same size tire)...:giggle:

Flipped mine, moves the mirror up 3/8".
Had to pop the ball out of the socket.
There's a small molded-in key in the plastic socket that you have to carve out (1/8 wide).
Minimal gains for the effort.

Before @ 2.12
20221126_184552.jpg

After @ 1.75
20221127_144738.jpg

Attachments

• 20221126_183658.jpg
    20221126_183658.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221127_144433.jpg
    20221127_144433.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for trying. Bummer, 3/8" is not a lot.

Flipped mine, moves the mirror up 3/8".
Had to pop the ball out of the socket.
There's a small molded-in key in the plastic socket that you have to carve out (1/8 wide).
Minimal gains for the effort.
Thanks. I was going to try this myself at some point. 3/8 is not much but it's some and might make a bit of a difference. How long did it take to to disassemble, modify it and put it back?

Thanks. I was going to try this myself at some point. 3/8 is not much but it's some and might make a bit of a difference. How long did it take to to disassemble, modify it and put it back?
It took roughly an hour. But that's mostly due to time figuring out how things were joined. It wasn't obvious and didn't want to break something. I ordered a mirror assembly (mirror + post) to mod, since I can't leave things alone.
I'm looking to move it up 1" & back 1" from where it's at right now.
That will put the bottom of the mirror even with the bottom of the box.
I'll take before & after pic's.

It took roughly an hour. But that's mostly due to time figuring out how things were joined. It wasn't obvious and didn't want to break something. I ordered a mirror assembly (mirror + post) to mod, since I can't leave things alone.
I'm looking to move it up 1" & back 1" from where it's at right now.
That will put the bottom of the mirror even with the bottom of the box.
I'll take before & after pic's.
I don't suppose you have the part numbers or links handy? I'd like to do much the same.

I don't suppose you have the part numbers or links handy? I'd like to do much the same.
GetOEmparts.com

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68297611AB​
Inside Rear View Mirror​
$103.50​
1​
$103.50​

I figure having an extra assembly I can go back to stock if needed.
But right now I can't imagine ever having that need.

Give these a look:
OMG....thank you for posting this link to Seat Slammer. Had no idea it existed. I just got my 392 and seat height is an issue, as I'm 6'5".
Plus I thought about seat angle being too level for me. Ordered a 2" drop for driver and passenger side.

Interesting....I have 37" STT PRO mounted on Teraflex HD mount and can see out the back window just fine (better than I could in my JK with same size tire)...:giggle:
Not on topic, but I owned a Bronco Raptor for 4 days and the vis out the back (well actually all around) was almost nonexistsnt, made the 392 feel like it had a picture window by comparison.

So, I decided to tackle this over the holidays.

I started by purchasing a whole new mirror assembly in case I screwed it up.

Then I pulled apart the mirror to see how it was put together. The small cover on the back of the arm (facing the front) just pops off. Inside there is an electrical connector. I was not able to ever get the connector dissambled, as none of my pin extractors seemed to work on those., So I ended up just cutting the three wires to get the mirror apart from the arm.

The mirror and the mounting arm are a ball and socket. If you rotate and tilt it to its limit and apply a bit of force, it just pops apart.

The wiring passed through the center of the arm "ball" and into the center of the socket on the mirror head. This was a bit of a problem for my plan, so I drilled a small hole next to the socket, and used a small pick to feed the wires through the hole I drilled.
I then attached a 1" Ram ball mount to the mirror head, covering the socket hole. I then used a RAM 1" arm to attach the mirror head to the factory mounting "ball".

The factory mounting arm "ball" is a bit larger than 1", and I ended up needing to grind a bit of clearance on the RAM connector in order to get the mirror head to aim in the proper direction.

I'm not super happy with the electrical connectors as they are too large and the space inside the arm is limited. It works fine, but I'd like to redo those with some smaller electrical connectors, but I've not found anything yet that fits the bill.

Mirror head with ball mount and wire re-routed:

IMG_2430.jpg

Modifying the Ram connector a bit to allow for additional rotation:
IMG_2423.jpg

How it all fits together:
IMG_2415.jpg

Final (ish) product:
IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2417.jpg
IMG_2431.jpg

I never tell people what to do. But you should submit this to Jeep.
you just put that mirror where it is best placed.

I never tell people what to do. But you should submit this to Jeep.
you just put that mirror where it is best placed.
I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why they did it the way they did. It is a bit of a challenge getting it in just the right spot (or the visor hits it when deployed), but dang, my way is so much better for visibility.

I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why they did it the way they did. It is a bit of a challenge getting it in just the right spot (or the visor hits it when deployed), but dang, my way is so much better for visibility.
Haha you beat me to it! I had also purchased the mirror assembly and intended to get to it over the holiday but things got too busy with fam.
More involved than what it should be to relocate something like this, but nice job getting it as high up as you did.
And thanks for sharing.

I'm looking to go a slightly different direction with the mod. I'll post when I get to it, hopefully soon.

Back