Pinch weld seam cover?

Tank2112

Reaction score
Current Rides
2023 Rubicon 392 XR, Custom 2003 LJ with 6.1 Hemi, 2013 Ram 3500
What are you using to cover pinch weld seams if installed Amp Research electric steps?

The Amp Research XL is the first and only thing that I added to my Jeep. They cover the pinch weld. I travel to the ranch twice a month and drive over some very rough and changing terrain, do not deliberately scrape rocks. They are not rock rails. Have worked flawlessly.

The Amp Research XL is the first and only thing that I added to my Jeep. They cover the pinch weld. I travel to the ranch twice a month and drive over some very rough and changing terrain, do not deliberately scrape rocks. They are not rock rails. Have worked flawlessly.

They cover pinch weld seam in OPEN position?

I would have to squat down and look. They fold down when you open the door and shut when you close it. WTF I am an old man, you can not see the pinch weld in the up position. I suppose it is visible in the down position but there are lights which would distract one from noticing. If you need to totally obscure that, good luck.

RSE keeps the pinch hidden open or closed.

I would have to squat down and look. They fold down when you open the door and shut when you close it. WTF I am an old man, you can not see the pinch weld in the up position. I suppose it is visible in the down position but there are lights which would distract one from noticing. If you need to totally obscure that, good luck.

😂😂😂 Ok, I get it. Only reason I asked is I saw a post a while back where a forum member mentioned they had recently installed Amp Research steps and mentioned covering pinch weld seam with an aftermarket product, of some kind?
I realize it’s not a life/death situation.
Thanks….

RSE keeps the pinch hidden open or closed.

I would go with RSE power steps, like I have on my custom LJ, which is my rock crawling Jeep. Rugged product, especially with extra steel shield… however it’s a narrow step.
For now, I need a wider step so my father can easily get in/out of 392.

I have these installed with my Powerstep XLs.

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

600560759JLBottomTrim2.jpg

Last edited:
However, looks like if I opt for Amp Research XL power steps...seems it covers pinch weld seam?

Amp Research XL step closed position   .jpeg
Amp Research XL step open position     .jpg
Amp Research XL step open position w:foot    .jpg
Amp Research XL step open position w:driver   .jpg
Amp Reseach XL step  open position, black jeep   .jpeg

Last edited:
The XLs do cover up the view of the pinch seam looking directly from the side but do not sit completely flush with the body. So you end up catching some glimpses of the seam through the gap and from front and back quarter views.

The XLs do cover up the view of the pinch seam looking directly from the side but do not sit completely flush with the body. So you end up catching some glimpses of the seam through the gap and from front and back quarter views.

So would you install the HammerHead Armor pinch weld seam cover prior to installing the XL step, or would it not fit? They are not expensive. Currently running 20% OFF discount.

Last edited:
So would you install the HammerHead Armor pinch weld seam cover prior to installing the XL step, or would it not fit? They are not expensive.
I'd recommend prior but you can do it after the fact if you're dexterous enough or have smaller hands. There are 2 pieces for each side so you can do each section without completely unbolting the steps.

I'd recommend prior but you can do it after the fact if you're dexterous enough or have smaller hands. There are 2 pieces for each side so you can do each section without completely unbolting the steps.
Thanks....

20220424_135611.jpg

Before adding the Hammerhead covers, I cleaned the area and applied 3M matte black vinyl the length of the pinch weld. This helps completely cover the body color where the Hammerheads fall short on the ends (if you are as particular as I am it'll make your OCD happy lol!)

I used Bushwacker rocker guards vs the stuff that came with the RSE steps. Covers the pinch seem and protects the door sills.
Looks similar to the above Amp Research pic.
IMG_6406.jpeg

I got some aluminum strips I was going to fab up and powder coat. But I think I might just mask it off and matt black paint it.

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back