Lock nuts and side steps for the 392 XR

Appreciate the input.

I’m almost certain that these MOPAR rails/steps literally mount to the same exact holes as the factory rock rails, so I would think they would surely fit.

I’m also wondering if these are as solid as the factory rails and if they provide a nice step? They do appear to be slightly narrower that the molded plastic MOPAR steps that were mentioned above.
You are correct, I had on my 392 and then went to amps, brother has on his 392 now. If I were taller I would left them on but i have 37’s and I need electric steps.

Yes they are narrower than plastic but they look good on a 392. Plastic ones on 392 and you get kicked out of the Jeep club to the Suzuki Samari club :)

just kidding, function first and budget. Get the best funsctioning for the buck within the budget

Last edited:
Just to be clear I think you are referring to this part:

Jeep® Performance Parts Rock Rails - Mopar (82215165AB)​

View attachment 2580
As opposed to these which are on @CBH jeep which looks awesome IMHO👍.

Assist Steps, Side Steps, Molded - Mopar (82215164AB)​

View attachment 2581

I guess it comes down to “looks the same caliber as the rest of the Jeep” vs. “best meets what you need day to day”.
For normal daily driving I need:
1. protection from rocks hitting the back fender.
2. A wide enough step for the family to be happy getting in a taller vehicle.
3. Something that won’t rust out.

To me the Performance Rock rails look a bit more narrow. So less likely to protect the back fender and less helpful getting in. And they are made of steel so they will eventually rust. The one advantage is the trail but I am sure there a much better rock rails out there if your going for the trail use.
Yes that is what I am referring to, function first always. I am just messing with you.

Rocks hitting back fender? Not sure I understand that

Wide enought step is important for sure, seen more than one woman smash some beautiful legs trying to get out of back with too narrow of a step

Rust you wont see soon enought to discuss

I am short so I have to use a drop down electric, I have AMP XL’s but they are on backorder with no date.

I would do Amp non XL’s if in the budget or Rocksliders but not family freindly so forget them.

My favorite step is Ace Industires which just got bought so not sure they kept the name. They are family friendly and the only step that connects to frame and not pinch weld and you can leave rubi rails if you are worried about rocks. They used to be reasonable but last time I looked they were almost a grand and they are very heavy to ship.

Hate to see anyone spend any cheese on any of the Mopar ones that come on the Jeeps as so many are taken off and pretty much given away.

Depending on your location Rubitrux in NC has a lot of take offs, Cross in Kentucky, Miami, and Arazona are the ones that come to mind but cost prohibative to ship.

If those plastiic ones above are not terribly expensive they are nice looking and will function perfect. My next choice would be AMP for $1300 if thats in the budget.

Rocks hitting back fender? Not sure I understand that

If you drive over gravel or loose rocks, you will soon figure it out :(. What happens is rocks get caught in the tread of the front tire and centrifugal force slings them off as you speed up. Some of these rocks will sling off shortly behind tire contact patch. They will be moving up and back relative to vehicle and can impact front of rear fender (on outside) causing paint chips. A wide rock rail or running board (or sufficient mud flaps on front for that matter) will prevent this. All you have to do is get a rock rail that is as wide as the rear fender to stop this.

This was the first thing I had to do on my JK as my rock driveway immediately started working on my rear fender paint job.

I would've never thought of it either.......if I had, I would've done something about it before it started happening. My LOD aluminum rock rails/steps are here at the house waiting on the jeep to get here.

These rails do not fit according to this Mopar parts website…

Attachments

• 487163EC-0F92-4838-AD3A-52578EA0DA07.jpeg
    487163EC-0F92-4838-AD3A-52578EA0DA07.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 70
These rails do not fit according to this Mopar parts website…
I'm 99% sure those will fit.
It's the same exact attach points as all MOPAR JL rails/steps including the Rock Rails that came on the 392 from the factory, basically 3 body bolts (13mm) and 6 pinch weld bolts (10mm):
In fact they are so similar that MOPAR uses the same installation instructions for both the standard issue Rock Rails and the Performance Rock Rails your talking about 😆

I bought a set of the MOPAR Side steps (MOPAR #82215164AB) for the wife, kids, and dog to get in and out. They look good (IMHO), they are well made in Canada and won't rust. Best of all they are wide enough to make it both easy to get in/out and they block all the dirt/rocks that are kicked up by the front tires from damaging the doors and rear fender all winter long. It took me about 20 min to swap from the side steps back to the standard rock rails. So I can just swap them out for the OEM rock rails the night before heading out on the trail. I bought them at my local Jeep dealer and if you download the MOPAR app there is a 15% OFF coupon that made them cheeper than anywhere online. Also in the 1% chance that they don't fit you can just take them back.

IMG_B42411E2F49E-1.jpeg

I really thought long and hard about the Rock Slide Gen 3 (rockslideengineering.com) but the complexity and the fact that I wanted something to block the stuff kicked up by the front tires made the MOPAR side steps the right choice for my needs.

By the way thanks @CBH for the great photos of your 392 with the MOPAR side steps installed on your Jeep, that helped a lot! 🙂(y)

I'm 99% sure those will fit.
It's the same exact attach points as all MOPAR JL rails/steps including the Rock Rails that came on the 392 from the factory, basically 3 body bolts (13mm) and 6 pinch weld bolts (10mm):
In fact they are so similar that MOPAR uses the same installation instructions for both the standard issue Rock Rails and the Performance Rock Rails your talking about 😆

I bought a set of the MOPAR Side steps (MOPAR #82215164AB) for the wife, kids, and dog to get in and out. They look good (IMHO), they are well made in Canada and won't rust. Best of all they are wide enough to make it both easy to get in/out and they block all the dirt/rocks that are kicked up by the front tires from damaging the doors and rear fender all winter long. It took me about 20 min to swap from the side steps back to the standard rock rails. So I can just swap them out for the OEM rock rails the night before heading out on the trail. I bought them at my local Jeep dealer and if you download the MOPAR app there is a 15% OFF coupon that made them cheeper than anywhere online. Also in the 1% chance that they don't fit you can just take them back.

View attachment 3525

I really thought long and hard about the Rock Slide Gen 3 (rockslideengineering.com) but the complexity and the fact that I wanted something to block the stuff kicked up by the front tires made the MOPAR side steps the right choice for my needs.

By the way thanks @CBH for the great photos of your 392 with the MOPAR side steps installed on your Jeep, that helped a lot! 🙂(y)
Thank you for the info! Great suggestion going through a dealership in case of a needed return. I honestly hadn’t thought of that.

In regards to the MOPAR performance rock rails:

Jeep® Performance Parts Rock Rails - Mopar (82215165AB)​

View attachment 2596

Does anyone have any experience with these rails on a 392 (or non-392 for that matter)? Seems like a nice option for those that want to keep the look and install location (not having to mess with body mount bolts) of the factory rails while still providing a step. Also seems like they should be pretty corrosion resistant.

I also wonder why the MOPAR websites say that these won’t fit a 2021 (or anything but a 2018) JLU? Quadratec’s website says they will fit a 2018 to current JLU.

Here is a short video about them on Quadratec’s website:

I have these on a 2020JLUR. They fit very close to the body and trap rocks. Don’t like that. Good step. But is attached to the pinch weld versus frame.

Does anyone have the Mopar Tube Steps 82215327AB on their 392 and can post a pic? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back