Hello, Any recommendation for a Rock slider with electronic step for a 392?

mlsolano

Reaction score
Current Rides
2024 Jeep Wrangler 392, and Jeep Wrangler JL
Hello, Any recommendation for a Rock slider with electronic step for a 392?
Any Ideas?

Attachments

• 392MS.jpg
    392MS.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 54
Second the RSE Step Sliders. Expensive, but nice.

3rd the RSE's for sure! Depending on your style of wheeling and although they are already considered a rock slider, consider adding the Step Slider Skid Plate for additional protection. They offer a very clean look and are functional AF. Mine have ~14K/mi on them with some heavy use; no issues. Very accommodating with a 3.5" lift. If you go this route, be sure to lube the pivot points from time to time per OEM instruction.

JL RSE 4 Door Step Slider Skid Plate 3.0

another vote for the RSE sliders and skids. I LOVE MINE, but they were a pain to install by myself.
I get another jeep I will be getting another set.

Add another vote for the RSE my wife and I love them

Lots of good feedback on Rock Slide.

And lots of bad feedback due to failures (unless that has changed in the past year, another forum had like a 10 page thread on issues) that convinced me that I would want either a fixed step or none (which is where I’ve been the past year).

And lots of bad feedback due to failures (unless that has changed in the past year, another forum had like a 10 page thread on issues) that convinced me that I would want either a fixed step or none (which is where I’ve been the past year).
I went through all 10 pages of that, and still bought them.

Well I only have 6 months on mine (and 1 winter so that DID cause some issues). HOWEVER, lets face it. People who are out loving their stuff are not coming to the forums (except all of us weirdos) and stating things are great.
My only issue/concern I've had was when driving in snow and ice, I have had one side get frozen in the up position....Ice scraper to get rid of the offending build up.... back to 100%.

It's a very nice option for people with a lift and tires with a vertically challenged significant other/kiddos, even with the chance of issues.

I went through all 10 pages of that, and still bought them.

Well I only have 6 months on mine (and 1 winter so that DID cause some issues). HOWEVER, lets face it. People who are out loving their stuff are not coming to the forums (except all of us weirdos) and stating things are great.
My only issue/concern I've had was when driving in snow and ice, I have had one side get frozen in the up position....Ice scraper to get rid of the offending build up.... back to 100%.

It's a very nice option for people with a lift and tires with a vertically challenged significant other/kiddos, even with the chance of issues.
Agree 100% that peeps are more inclined to get on forums with complaints than kudos. Most peeps other than us weirdos, which I totally identify with HAHA. My favorite local shop (who I have come to trust) says they have removed almost as many RSE boards as they have put on (bad motors (you have to remove the board to get to), magnet alignment issues, control modules etc.). That’s their input, and like anything I have to consider that when making my decision. Thus I still haven’t figured out if I want powered or a fixed step. So for now I continue the hop and slide into the seat 🤣

I'm happy with my RSE step sliders. I do some rock crawling so I added the optional extra skid plate that fits under the bottom of the step slider. That extra skid plate when combined with the normal rock slider gives you almost 3/8" thick steel to pivot on if you need to. And I did just that, several times, on the Rubicon Trail last fall. And I have done so on many other trails. You can focus on the trail, and if you hear a rocker panel grind on a rock you don't need to worry about it.

I did have one step stick in the up position on the Rubicon. I had become hung up on an obstacle, and my spotter hopped out while the Jeep was still moving a little. His step deployed in a place where I heard it bang and grind on a rock. It retracted and stayed retracted after that. That night I was checing the system over and found no damage other than some deep gouges in the powder coat on both sides. There is a reset switch for the step sliders that I mounted under the hood. I switched it off, then back on again, and walla, both sides started working again. The system safety check had tripped just like it was designed to do , to prevent damage. I was impressed.

Depends on use of your Jeep.
I have both. RSE on my custom rock Jeep and Amp Research XL on my 392.
Reason I went with Amp on 392 is , I use it for more of a daily driver and some off-road, nothing crazy, I have a dedicated custom LJ for that.
Amp Research has much wider step surface and operates a little smoother.
XL version will help cover pinch weld seam.

With RSE I also added Step Slider Skid Plate.

I would also recommend the RSE. I have had all 3 generations (gen 1 and 2 on my JK, gen 3 on my 392). I had lots of problems with the gen 1, but they gave me a generous discount to upgrade to the gen 2. The gen 2 was better, but I still had problems with the steps not going back up unassisted in the winter, so I left them turned off most of the time. I had pretty much given up on them; but then they came out with the spring replacement for the strut. It was a night and day difference and fixed the biggest problem I had with the gen 1/2 (steps not going back up). The gen 3s come with the springs, and the gen 2s can be upgraded. Now I love them. My upgraded gen 2s and new gen 3s work every time, just like they should. The customer service at RSE is also great, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. I haven't seen another product that compares. I would recommend the armor if you wheel it.

I would also recommend the RSE. I have had all 3 generations (gen 1 and 2 on my JK, gen 3 on my 392). I had lots of problems with the gen 1, but they gave me a generous discount to upgrade to the gen 2. The gen 2 was better, but I still had problems with the steps not going back up unassisted in the winter, so I left them turned off most of the time. I had pretty much given up on them; but then they came out with the spring replacement for the strut. It was a night and day difference and fixed the biggest problem I had with the gen 1/2 (steps not going back up). The gen 3s come with the springs, and the gen 2s can be upgraded. Now I love them. My upgraded gen 2s and new gen 3s work every time, just like they should. The customer service at RSE is also great, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. I haven't seen another product that compares. I would recommend the armor if you wheel it.
Based on your great explanation/ experience with all 3 generations and direct contact with their customer service I think I too have made the decision to give it a go with the RSE gen 3’s. Thanks again @OffRoadPatriot and others for their valuable input. Guess it’s time to crank up that 💸💸💸 press 🤣✌🏻

Sorry have to chime in. RSE's on two Jeeps and Amp's on third.

I have never had a problem with an Amp probably owned 7-8 sets over the years.

RSE's had a bad run I think on Gen 2's I am in my third set on my 2dr and driver side still comes up and stops 1/2 inch from where it should.

Yes RSE's are purely an offroad step and take the abuse. Never had an issue with ones on my Gladiator but after the 2 dr experience and two friends that are in the business who sworw by them that will never buy another set I have to say a 392 grocery getter only a XR Amp will be on mine.

just an FYI amp step is as wide as a foot, RSE a woman wearing anything but tennis shoes will be bitching about the step.

my friends wife missed the RSE's narrow step getting out of Gladiator and has a permanent scare.

I dont know much but I know I will never own any more RSE's and they did stand behind their product. sent second set and I never returned first and never heard from them. Third was driver side only and it is the one with that stops a half inch early sometimes.

Gladiator I dont know what Gen there are, never have had an issue but when they come up they hit so hard and loud it scares people.

Sorry have to chime in. RSE's on two Jeeps and Amp's on third.

I have never had a problem with an Amp probably owned 7-8 sets over the years.

RSE's had a bad run I think on Gen 2's I am in my third set on my 2dr and driver side still comes up and stops 1/2 inch from where it should.

Yes RSE's are purely an offroad step and take the abuse. Never had an issue with ones on my Gladiator but after the 2 dr experience and two friends that are in the business who sworw by them that will never buy another set I have to say a 392 grocery getter only a XR Amp will be on mine.

just an FYI amp step is as wide as a foot, RSE a woman wearing anything but tennis shoes will be bitching about the step.

my friends wife missed the RSE's narrow step getting out of Gladiator and has a permanent scare.

I dont know much but I know I will never own any more RSE's and they did stand behind their product. sent second set and I never returned first and never heard from them. Third was driver side only and it is the one with that stops a half inch early sometimes.

Gladiator I dont know what Gen there are, never have had an issue but when they come up they hit so hard and loud it scares people.
After my initial experience with the gen 1 and gen 2, I decided I was done with the RSEs too. Then, they came out with the upgrade that replaced the strut with the spring and my gen 2s were magically transformed from something I regretted to something I loved. We use them every day now and my wife and daughters insisted I get them for the 392. If you don't have the spring upgrade, you should really give RSE a call and talk to them. My retrofitted gen 2s work just as well as my gen 3s and fully retract every time, regardless of temperature. With the springs, it should be very difficult for the steps not to fully retract every time unless they're just adjusted wrong or they get debris in them, or are completely unlubed. The gen 3 design is even better and addresses the gap between the step and the body that bothers me on my JK, and the step is a little larger as well. I wouldn't pay to upgrade the gen 2s to the gen 3s, but I would definitely pay to upgrade the springs on the gen 2s. It's a $100 upgrade that completely changes the experience, and if you call them, they'll probably give you a discount.

I've never had the Amps. They look nice and probably work great on a street rig, but I can't imagine them holding up to rocks. That wouldn't work for me, but it's probably a good option for some.

Back