Gorilla Glass - Not Impressed

Bobo57

Reaction score
Current Rides
Demon, Boss 303
So I've got a tad over 6000 miles on the 23' 392. Over that time I haven't really driven in very hazardous conditions. I don't ever remember seeing, hearing, or feeling any rocks hitting the windshield. Today I was cleaning up the Jeep and when I went to do a final clean of the windshield I can see about a half dozen rock chips present. Now they are pretty small, maybe a half mm in diameter, but damn. I'm guessing that the design target of this glass failed miserably, it's probably so hard it's brittle and I'm guessing that's not a good combination when paired with rock impacts.

So far, not impressed. I'm just waiting until I do really get hit with a decent size pebble, guessing this thing will just shatter.

So I've got a tad over 6000 miles on the 23' 392. Over that time I haven't really driven in very hazardous conditions. I don't ever remember seeing, hearing, or feeling any rocks hitting the windshield. Today I was cleaning up the Jeep and when I went to do a final clean of the windshield I can see about a half dozen rock chips present. Now they are pretty small, maybe a half mm in diameter, but damn. I'm guessing that the design target of this glass failed miserably, it's probably so hard it's brittle and I'm guessing that's not a good combination when paired with rock impacts.

So far, not impressed. I'm just waiting until I do really get hit with a decent size pebble, guessing this thing will just shatter.
Just had the GG installed not too long ago... hoping for a better result.

From what I've read, the outside layer is the normal glass and the inside layer is gorilla glass. It is supposed to help absorb the impact instead of just cracking. Others have said that they didn't see any difference and it cracked just the same as the normal glass. Mine is only a few weeks old, so haven't had anything happen to it yet.

I have several direct hits from rocks, off of Rock trucks, at highway speeds. So far, several pock marks but no cracks.

We are on GG#2 (free replacement). GG#1 took a few hits that would likely have cracked a normal windshield. Then, one day while sitting it cracked in several large circular arcs. Didn't seem to be related to any rock strikes. Fingers crossed on GG#2.

1000 miles into my new 392, a truck threw a huge rock at me...glad it only hit the glass...I wanted to upgrade to GG but it was double the price $1600 plus recalibration and extremely hard to find. I ended up staying with the regular glass for $800. They couldn't recalibrate at the time due to some glitch with their programmer so they only charged me $500. Oddly enough, my jeep recalibrated itself over a few days. ACC and speed sign recognition works 100%.

1000 miles into my new 392, a truck threw a huge rock at me...glad it only hit the glass...I wanted to upgrade to GG but it was double the price $1600 plus recalibration and extremely hard to find. I ended up staying with the regular glass for $800. They couldn't recalibrate at the time due to some glitch with their programmer so they only charged me $500. Oddly enough, my jeep recalibrated itself over a few days. ACC and speed sign recognition works 100%.
"speed sign recognition" Ahhh.....what's that? That's a thing?

"speed sign recognition" Ahhh.....what's that? That's a thing?
Top center of windshield camera that reads speed/traffic signs and displays them on the navigation page. After the windshield replacement, it was off for a few days then spot on ever since. Part of the active driver assist.

Last edited:

I wouldn't think there would be any recalibration needed because the sensor isn't attached to the glass. You wouldn't change anything about it when a new glass is installed, except if for some reason one of the black masking lines covered something. But, I wouldn't think it would with the space the glass can be installed. I would think it is just a money grab by the installer because they can charge for it even though they wouldn't need to do anything. But that is just my thinking on it.

I wouldn't think there would be any recalibration needed because the sensor isn't attached to the glass. You wouldn't change anything about it when a new glass is installed, except if for some reason one of the black masking lines covered something. But, I wouldn't think it would with the space the glass can be installed. I would think it is just a money grab by the installer because they can charge for it even though they wouldn't need to do anything. But that is just my thinking on it.
I was suspicious as well and questioned it...even Jeep said it needed to be recalibrated. 🤷‍♂️ I know better now.

Top center of windshield camera that reads speed/traffic signs and displays them on the navigation page. After the windshield replacement, it was off for a few days then spot on ever since. Part of the active driver assist.
Are you sure the camera does that? My iPhone with google maps or Waze will display the speed limit and it's not looking at signs. Its part of the map data.

Are you sure the camera does that? My iPhone with google maps or Waze will display the speed limit and it's not looking at signs. Its part of the map data.
I assume so after googling it, but not 100%. After the windshield replacement, the navigation speed sign reading was off for a few days (displaying less that posted). So I assumed it was a camera issue and not GPS.

I wonder if ACC is on, it will stop at a stop sign? That would be a true test. It works in stop-n-go traffic just fine.

Last edited:
It lists stuff for it in the 2024 owners manual:

1000003673.jpg

1000003674.jpg

Back