Can trunk door be unlocked if someone breaks into the cabin?

rocketman

Reaction score
Current Rides
23 392
I see it mentioned here that the trunk floor storage is inacessible if the trunk door is closed because it sits on top of the floor lift up point. I was curious if a bad person gained access to your interior without your consent if its as easy as them hitting the unlock button to get it open. I can't find that answered anywhere. I just need a little space to lock stuff in and would rather run with that then get the locking center console box but if the trunk can be opened from the inside, I guess I have to go that route. Thanks!

Yes…. If someone hits the unlock button it allows access to the tailgate. The small compartment under the floor back there is also extra small on the 392 compared to other JL’s to accommodate the huge muffler. For what it’s worth, although not ultra secure, you can lock the center console with the vehicle key.

My doors are off a lot and when I go to stores, I am just in and out and if I go anywhere else, I park were I can see it.

I take out most of the little things and do keep my glovebox and console locked but I guess, someone could easily pry them open in a few seconds. My fridge and tool box are strapped down but wouldn't take long to cut the straps and get them.

If you remove the doors there is no unlock button, so the tailgate cannot easily be unlocked without the key. I suppose you could disconnect the door wiring as well, and use the mechanical features to get in.

I have a rear cargo rack that would make it difficult to remove anything below it without opening the gate, or removing the rack.

My doors are off a lot and when I go to stores, I am just in and out and if I go anywhere else, I park were I can see it.

I take out most of the little things and do keep my glovebox and console locked but I guess, someone could easily pry them open in a few seconds. My fridge and tool box are strapped down but wouldn't take long to cut the straps and get them.
When my half doors are on I make sure to leave the console and glove box unlocked but also with nothing in them I would miss if some sticky fingers look around. I’d rather that than come out to a broken glove box or console. I recently installed the tuffy tailgate lock box and like it. I am sure it could also be broken into but it is definitely more secure.

When my half doors are on I make sure to leave the console and glove box unlocked but also with nothing in them I would miss if some sticky fingers look around. I’d rather that than come out to a broken glove box or console. I recently installed the tuffy tailgate lock box and like it. I am sure it could also be broken into but it is definitely more secure.
Unfortunately, nothing is safe...unless you can hire John Wick to guard it for you. 🔫

If you reach in with half doors off or bust the glass and do the same to hit the unlock button. The alarm will go off. Doesn’t stop someone from then opening the doors but will cause a ruckus.

Thanks, gents. I think I am over thinking this for no real reason. Looking for places to hide the wheel lock key and stuff. argh

If you remove the doors there is no unlock button, so the tailgate cannot easily be unlocked without the key. I suppose you could disconnect the door wiring as well, and use the mechanical features to get in.

I have a rear cargo rack that would make it difficult to remove anything below it without opening the gate, or removing the rack.
LOL....I didn't even think about that.

I have this. Slides under the seat (mine slides under from behind) and has a steel cable you wrap around a seat mount. Some states require this for gun storage while traveling through. You can throw a wheel lock keyor other small valuables in there too. ✌🏻

I have this. Slides under the seat (mine slides under from behind) and has a steel cable you wrap around a seat mount. Some states require this for gun storage while traveling through. You can throw a wheel lock keyor other small valuables in there too. ✌🏻

Hard to protect yourself with a gun in a safe.

I use this one for the same but still wouldn’t feel safe leaving mine in the jeep unattended

I use this one for the same but still wouldn’t feel safe leaving mine in the jeep unattended
I use mine for wheel lock key… other small valuable stuff. If I’m out of the 392 the Sig is on my side. The only time it’s in there is (like I said above) is when driving through non reciprocal CCW states where it’s the law. I don’t need any additional hassle if I get pulled over for exceeding those annoying speed guidelines 🤣😎.

Thanks, gents. I think I am over thinking this for no real reason. Looking for places to hide the wheel lock key and stuff. argh
Hey @rocketman so I'Il throw this out, I take the SOT and doors off and run naked all summer and I've had no issues with theft out of the sub-trunk. I leave the center console and glovebox unlocked and empty. I use this Tuffy enclosure to store my stuff and it uses the tailgate to stay secure. But I still use the key fob to "lock" the doors even when they are off. Sounds dumb, but it disables the ignition and the tailgate can't be unlocked. So strange as it sounds the tailgate is more secure when she's naked :ROFLMAO: than when the doors are on. (its a Jeep thing)

I swear I read in the JL forum if you break the glass and open the door the door lock / unlock does not function until reset with the fob.

Hmm if leaving window down and locking would reaching in and trying lock be an accurate test or does the glass break trigger a security event?

If you reach in with half doors off or bust the glass and do the same to hit the unlock button. The alarm will go off. Doesn’t stop someone from then opening the doors but will cause a ruckus.
If you unlock the doors with metal key the alarm goes off.

My son had one of those with something valuable in it and the item was stolen. The box was still secured with cable to its anchor point. Easily broken into.

Back