Bypass shocks

Earl 392

Reaction score
Current Rides
Earl 2023 Jlu 392
Any body put bypass shocks on. I was thinking bypass on front and reservoir on the back I was leaning toward ADS I don’t want to go $$$cool over. Just want a smooth ride.

I love the OEM XR shock , but an Internal Bypass shock like used on the OEM Mojave or these Bilstein’s would be Da Bomb. Soft in the chatter and firm on the big hits !

Any body put bypass shocks on. I was thinking bypass on front and reservoir on the back I was leaning toward ADS I don’t want to go $$$cool over. Just want a smooth ride.
I have the Bilstein 8100 which came as part of my build package from AEV.

The Bilstein XP8100 from AEV are not adjustable. I defer to them for their reasoning. YMMV for your use case scenario and vehicle build.

AEV’s explanation from their website:

Why aren’t the XP8100 shocks adjustable?
Simply put, we already did the hard work for you. These shocks are tuned by AEV and manufactured by Bilstein specifically for our turn-key vehicle packages. This means if you have a JL Wrangler, Gladiator or Ram with our suspension, bumpers, winch, etc. these shocks are already fully optimized for you.

In a race environment, where track conditions vary race-by-race or even day-by-day, full adjustability is an absolute must but in the real world, it’s just not necessary if you have a well-tuned shock. Adjustable shocks have become all the rage in the off-road community and understandably so (they do look cool) but more often than not, these shocks serious overkill for the vehicle they are on.

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpeg
    IMG_0763.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

In a race environment, where track conditions vary race-by-race or even day-by-day, full adjustability is an absolute must but in the real world, it’s just not necessary if you have a well-tuned shock.

So no need to adjust between paved highway or rocky trail or sand or mud..... because the average Jeep driver does not see changing conditions?

That's a lot of marketing spin.

At the most basic level, it would be nice to have an off-road and an on-road setting,

FOX 3.0 Internal By-Pass with the FOX IFP Bump stops (front and rear)

For my build to go along with the EVO long arm it was the best option. They are a bit shorter than the typical KING C/O so with the amount of droop/up travel I was looking for they were perfect.
Great for crawling (Rubicon, Deer Valley,etc) and allows me to drive it like my KTM on open trails (SoCal, Death Valley etc). On the street it feels like one of my performance cars only sitting several feet higher off the ground. Completely changed the ride and performance level. I feel it was one of the main factors that help change a great rig into a super hot rod rig that is FUN to drive.

Only downside is the cost $$$$ which is outright ridiculous.
IMG_2860 (1).jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

For my build to go along with the EVO long arm it was the best option. They are a bit shorter than the typical KING C/O so with the amount of droop/up travel I was looking for they were perfect.
Great for crawling (Rubicon, Deer Valley,etc) and allows me to drive it like my KTM on open trails (SoCal, Death Valley etc). On the street it feels like one of my performance cars only sitting several feet higher off the ground. Completely changed the ride and performance level. I feel it was one of the main factors that help change a great rig into a super hot rod rig that is FUN to drive.

View attachment 34189
View attachment 34188
Thanks for the info after thinking about my questions I’m pretty sure that whatever the choice all shocks should be the same at all 4 corners be it res or bypass. We have the same taste in diff skids 👍

For my 392 with 3.5 inch lift it is Fox 2.5s tuned by Accutune for the win! Also front hydro bumps.

View attachment 34189
View attachment 34188
This is refreshing to read I was all set to pull the trigger on the Fox 3.0 and had two owners tell me worst shocks ever and you could never get the zones tuned correctly unless you went to a Fox event and paid them to tune them. These truly seemed like the best ride in all conditions so I went back to analysis paralysis mode and stuck with my Bilstein 5100’s that I think could be greatly improved with a different platform.

Did you buy over the counter setup or have them custom tuned?

This is refreshing to read I was all set to pull the trigger on the Fox 3.0 and had two owners tell me worst shocks ever and you could never get the zones tuned correctly unless you went to a Fox event and paid them to tune them. These truly seemed like the best ride in all conditions so I went back to analysis paralysis mode and stuck with my Bilstein 5100’s that I think could be greatly improved with a different platform.

check your DM

check your DM
Please share information. From my limited research I’m finding that fox are a bit stiff even in the soft settings. A friend has a diesel jlu with ADS shocks so I wet with him on a very rough and rocky trail ( rug road ) here in AZ his jeep had a much smoother ride than mine. They are just res shocks 1980 a pair. They do make bypass approx 2400 a pair but for me that might just be overkill

Last edited:
Please share information. From my limited research I’m finding that fox are a bit stiff even in the soft settings. A friend has a diesel jlu with ADS shocks so I wet with him a very rough and rocky trail ( rug road ) here in AZ his jeep had a much smoother ride than mine. They are just res shocks 1980 a pair. They do make bypass approx 2400 a pair but for me that might just be overkill
Tried to send you the additional information but was limited to 420 characters.

For my preference wouldn't say stiff...firmer than with the stock XR springs, shocks, and tires.

One thing to note is that I have a heavy build:
Wheel/tire package with the Grenade Crawl beadlocks and 13.5 TGs. This along with the 1-piece RCVs, full PSC ram assist, Currie high knuckle kit riding on the 4.5" EVO super plush springs with their long arms & johnny joints all helps the end result. Slow and they are in control, but when the speed picks up is where they really shine-
Between the added weight, longs arms and massive shaft shocks it came down to this:

My wife, who has had several sports cars of her own, currently drives an Audi S5 coupe. We recently drove the Jeep up to Napa for the weekend about 1.5hrs from our house. At some point during the drive up, out of the blue, she made the comment that she felt the Jeep rides WAY, WAY better than it did at stock height with just the XR package.

Back