2023 vs 2024 street driving

BondJames

Reaction score
Current Rides
TRX/DHC/Redeye/Superstock
I have a 2023 scheduled for production next week (ordered under the assumption that it was the last hurrah) - 33 inch tires and 3.73 gearing - I am unlikely to use as an off road vehicle with most driving being commuting or shorter trips (200 mile interstate trips). Well as we all know it wasn’t the last hurrah and I can now order with 35 inch tires and 4.56 gearing for 2024. I have read all that I can find but am still unsure which way I should go. I thought perhaps the folks here would have had enough direct experience with jeeps and different gearing-tire size-vehicle usage to offer advice.

I have a 2023 scheduled for production next week (ordered under the assumption that it was the last hurrah) - 33 inch tires and 3.73 gearing - I am unlikely to use as an off road vehicle with most driving being commuting or shorter trips (200 mile interstate trips). Well as we all know it wasn’t the last hurrah and I can now order with 35 inch tires and 4.56 gearing for 2024. I have read all that I can find but am still unsure which way I should go. I thought perhaps the folks here would have had enough direct experience with jeeps and different gearing-tire size-vehicle usage to offer advice.
If you’re planning to use it for on road use only, 3.73’s and 33” tires will be better for fuel economy. It’ll still be plenty capable if you decide to venture off road. They certainly look better with 35’s but that’s a personal opinion. To give you some real world info on MPG I’m averaging mid 13’s mixed driving and I have 35’s on my non XR. If also depends a lot on how you drive.

There's really no "one size fits all" option. Shorter gears (numerically higher) will give you more grunt down low for launches, crawling and such, while taller (numerically lower) gearing will give advantages at cruising speeds (lower engine RPMs and marginally better MPG).

I supercharged my JK, dropped 37's on it and drove it for years with the stock 4.10 rubicon gearing..... was it ideal?... no. did it work fine... yes. Then I regeared it to 5.38 in anticipation of jumping to 40's at some point, but still on 37's. So I went from one extreme to the other.

Meh. not that big of a deal either way.

Drive it. If you can't stand it, then change it.

I have an XR. I get 13.2 when I have alot of highway.70 to 80. When I can get local, not stop and go, cruising between 45 and 55 I can see 14. Key being, not a huge difference. The motor drinks gas like an alcoholic on a bender before prohibition goes into effect. If you don't plan to wheel you'll be happy.

If you’re planning to use it for on road use only, 3.73’s and 33” tires will be better for fuel economy. It’ll still be plenty capable if you decide to venture off road. They certainly look better with 35’s but that’s a personal opinion. To give you some real world info on MPG I’m averaging mid 13’s mixed driving and I have 35’s on my non XR. If also depends a lot on how you drive.
Can you put 35 inch tires on the 2023 392 Rubicon without doing a lift?

Can you put 35 inch tires on the 2023 392 Rubicon without doing a lift?
You can put 37's on one if you're not taking it off road. This is 37's with no lift:

327.jpg

I would do the 35’s without question. In the long term you’ll be happier with the look. MPGs suck regardless, so get the look you desire. Given the chance I would change to a 2024 for sure.

Attachments

• With Best Top.png
    With Best Top.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
  • Without Top.png
    Without Top.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 65

Given the chance I would change to a 2024 for sure.
I have been wrestling with this ever since the announcement…..assuming the price goes up $5k over the current price, by the time I’m getting a’24 6 months from now, the difference in $$$$ between taking my current order in 2 weeks and waiting will be over $10k. Financially it just doesn’t work, since I only care about the tires and gear…..and things like digital dash dash and black/red seats are big negatives with a Hydro Blue exterior

FWIW, my usage will be 90% semi urban commute.

I have been wrestling with this ever since the announcement…..assuming the price goes up $5k over the current price, by the time I’m getting a’24 6 months from now, the difference in $$$$ between taking my current order in 2 weeks and waiting will be over $10k. Financially it just doesn’t work, since I only care about the tires and gear…..and things like digital dash dash and black/red seats are big negatives with a Hydro Blue exterior

FWIW, my usage will be 90% semi urban commute.
Completely understand that and it makes sense. Everyone is in a different place need/want wise and financially too.

I have had a Wrangler forever. I traded my 2019 3.6 Rubicon for the 2023 392 with the XR package (gears and 35's). I love it. Someone said that there wasn't much difference in mileage on the road and around town and I agree. If you can afford the 392, you can afford the loss in milage to the tune of an additional $100 (+-) a year. It drives great on or off road. I have always had a manual and I wish that this had a short throw shifter to play with, but other than that this is the way to go. I wish the screen was a bit larger, but that is knit-picking. The 2024 sounds like the way to go! Enjoy the beast.

I have had a Wrangler forever. I traded my 2019 3.6 Rubicon for the 2023 392 with the XR package (gears and 35's). I love it. Someone said that there wasn't much difference in mileage on the road and around town and I agree. If you can afford the 392, you can afford the loss in milage to the tune of an additional $100 (+-) a year. It drives great on or off road. I have always had a manual and I wish that this had a short throw shifter to play with, but other than that this is the way to go. I wish the screen was a bit larger, but that is knit-picking. The 2024 sounds like the way to go! Enjoy the beast.
I have a '22 (non-XR) 392 with aftermarket wheels & 35's and am averaging 12.0 mpg with about 80% suburb/20% highway driving. My buddy has a '21 3.6 Rubi with 35's and gets 12.1...and my last 3.6 Rubi (35's as well) averaged about 13 & change. For me the 392 was a no-brainer and the gas differences (premium vs. 87) are a non-issue in my thinking. I'm really curious to see the new '24's with the digi-dash and actually have a soft spot for red guts in my interiors (Vettes, Challengers, ect), but I still don't think it's enough for me to give up my '22. Not to mention it's paid off & I've already put over 12K of other "mods" into it I'll never get back. :ROFLMAO:

Well I went and looked at new 2023 and frankly I thought the tire size was fine - after driving a TRX and a Durango Hellcat with big screens I thought the 2023 screen (prob same size as Challenger
Redeye screen) was a bit smaller - dealership happy to roll over my 2023 order and let me reorder a 2024 (I did go ahead with the wench but otherwise same vehicle - the few options on the 2023 I had picked were mostly standard on the 2024). I would bet the price is up by 5k-7k plus the wench - hopefully they don’t run out of 392 engines and leave me empty handed.

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back