Xtreme Recon package discontinued for 2022?

I ordered my 392 to January 6, 2022 In stingray fully loaded with XR pack. I’m getting excited for my vehicle to arrive so for fun went back to jeep.com and built my car. Discovered that you can’t add XR pack anymore…. So I did some digging fell down a rabbit hole and discovered it looks to be discontinued from orders here on out. Well that sucks! Glad I jumped on it when I did!

I signed the build sheet on 9/7. Dealer said the couldn't place orders until after the 16th, but couldn't explain why. That was a Friday, so the order went in on the 19th. That's the date in the tracking tool under "Order Processed". This morning I noticed the status changed to "Scheduled". That must have happened yesterday as it has the date of Sep-20-2022 under it.

Did you order the XR package? Maybe it's stuck waiting for parts for that, or something else? Or maybe they know you already have one ;-)

But I suspect individual stage changes don't mean much. I doubt I'll see it before the new year.
That is blazing fast.
Yes I do have the XR, but still, you placed the order the 16th and are scheduled. I placed mine July 20th and still not scheduled. I am so done!

Congrats to you though!

That is blazing fast.
Yes I do have the XR, but still, you placed the order the 16th and are scheduled. I placed mine July 20th and still not scheduled. I am so done!

Congrats to you though!
Think there’s a material hold on some xr 392s now .That’s why non xr 392 are getting scheduled quick now.We had are first 23 xr 392 delivered about two weeks ago .We have another xr ordered end of June .That hasn’t moved at all.Even dealer said who’s knows if it will have xr package Like I told them it comes without.They can keep it

for those waiting, especially if it's for a parts availability issue, if your dealer gets an XR in while you wait, do you think they'll let you have it if you let them replace it with your order? Maybe some consideration for the time they'll have to wait +/- any difference in options.

I'm going to be keeping my eye on what shows up at the dealer I've ordered with to see if that might still be a way to get an XR. I just don't want to pay MSRP+markup. Hoping having an existing order placed with them might help.

for those waiting, especially if it's for a parts availability issue, if your dealer gets an XR in while you wait, do you think they'll let you have it if you let them replace it with your order? Maybe some consideration for the time they'll have to wait +/- any difference in options.

I'm going to be keeping my eye on what shows up at the dealer I've ordered with to see if that might still be a way to get an XR. I just don't want to pay MSRP+markup. Hoping having an existing order placed with them might help.
I doult it.Cause orders is probably a sold customer order.I doult dealers got many allocations for lot

I ordered a 2023 XR on 9/7. Shows order confirmed on Jeep Chat but no VIN. Called the dealer yesterday and they have the VIN just has not shown up on the tracker.

I ordered a 2023 XR on 9/7. Shows order confirmed on Jeep Chat but no VIN. Called the dealer yesterday and they have the VIN just has not shown up on the tracker.
Nothing is sure tbh. I have 2 x 2023 XR orders placed withing a week. Identical options. One was picked up 2 days ago and one was in C all this time with a VIN. If anything in 2022 not everyone with a VIN got an XR . Some were asked to either downgrade to non-XR or wait for 2023. If this is the last year for 392 obviously there wont be another option besides downgrading to non-XR if FCA doesnt have the parts anymore. I'd rather not pick up the 2nd one than getting the non-XR. I drove both trims and the XR is driving better after you reach..100 mph

John-wants-a-Jeep: Is your order for a 392 or is it a Rubicon with the XR package? I was amazed to see how quickly they changed your order to scheduled versus C status.

We could even see the XR come back for 23s though as well.

Didn't it leave for awhile then come back on the 21s or am I making that up?

John-wants-a-Jeep: Is your order for a 392 or is it a Rubicon with the XR package? I was amazed to see how quickly they changed your order to scheduled versus C status.
It's a 392.

When I did the build with the dealer it included XR. When we realized XR was no longer available it was removed from the build. So the order that was submitted was for a 392 w/o XR.

I think this is what helped it advance.

jgp

JGP: Thanks I agree that makes perfect sense. I like others were able to get in the XR within the build but I have a feeling the wait is going to be much longer than anticipated. It seems across the board parts are still a huge problem and perhaps the XR portion of the 392 is delaying the builds.

Last week I went to order a 392 XR and found out it was no longer an option. Obviously, I am pissed as all who wanted that option should be. IMO it is not the same vehicle and not worth the purchase without it. Many including myself have made the XR type modifications (lift, gearing, beedlock wheels, tires, knuckles ect) in the aftermarket and I do not want to have to spend all that time, hassle and money again.

Last edited:
Side Note: I happen to be in Toledo, OH this week. Today, I drove by the factory and saw 3.... 392s with the XR package on the lot, getting loaded up & heading out to Dealers soon. These were obviously ordered before the recent discontinuation. 2 black and 1 blue. So nice to see them!

Last week I went to order a 392 XR and found out it was no longer an option. Obviously, I am pissed as all who wanted that option should be. IMO it is not the same vehicle and not worth the purchase without it. Many including myself have made the XR modifications (lift, gearing, beedlock wheels, tires, knuckles ect) in the aftermarket and I do not want to have to spend all that time, hassle and money again.
That can be part of the fun. Years ago I wanted a Monster Miata (V8). By the time I had the money, the company had gone under (very interesting story about that for another day). One of the guys that worked there started a company selling a DIY kit. So I went that route. I had a V8 Miata, but also the bragging rights to say I built it myself. I enjoyed the time as I built it with my dad. Some of it was hard work, but I didn't think of it as a hassle. If I worried about the money, I'd find a cheaper hobby.

Soon I'll get my non-XR. If I ever think it's not enough of a Monster I'm pretty sure I could fix that. This time I'll get to do it with my son. The time will be precious, and given I've enjoyed some good fortune since my V8 Miata days, I'm sure I could make it more extreme than the XR package.

Last week I went to order a 392 XR and found out it was no longer an option. Obviously, I am pissed as all who wanted that option should be. IMO it is not the same vehicle and not worth the purchase without it. Many including myself have made the XR type modifications (lift, gearing, beedlock wheels, tires, knuckles ect) in the aftermarket and I do not want to have to spend all that time, hassle and money again.
To each their own but if you're not going to buy the best Jeep (and one of the best vehicles) available IMO just because it doesn't have XR, you're missing out. Every single thing other than the gears that's in the XR package can easily be done better and cheaper by the owner and it won't affect warranty. If you absolutely need the gearing you could do that too but obviously not covered by the factory warranty and don't forget the non-XR actually comes with better shocks and more travel (thanks to the extra large XR bump stop).

To each their own but if you're not going to buy the best Jeep (and one of the best vehicles) available IMO just because it doesn't have XR, you're missing out. Every single thing other than the gears that's in the XR package can easily be done better and cheaper by the owner and it won't affect warranty. If you absolutely need the gearing you could do that too but obviously not covered by the factory warranty and don't forget the non-XR actually comes with better shocks and more travel (thanks to the extra large XR bump stop).
I hear ya. Its a sweet ride and not to be underestimated.
However, After screwing around in the aftermarket in terms of time and money....I came to realize how much value there is in straight from the factory. No warranty issues. No associated worries. No researching 4wd shops. Fix one thing....screw up another. No thanks.

That can be part of the fun. Years ago I wanted a Monster Miata (V8). By the time I had the money, the company had gone under (very interesting story about that for another day). One of the guys that worked there started a company selling a DIY kit. So I went that route. I had a V8 Miata, but also the bragging rights to say I built it myself. I enjoyed the time as I built it with my dad. Some of it was hard work, but I didn't think of it as a hassle. If I worried about the money, I'd find a cheaper hobby.

Soon I'll get my non-XR. If I ever think it's not enough of a Monster I'm pretty sure I could fix that. This time I'll get to do it with my son. The time will be precious, and given I've enjoyed some good fortune since my V8 Miata days, I'm sure I could make it more extreme than the XR package.
Yep. There is definitely something to be said for wrench time. Especially with family.

Without a doubt you could take it beyond the XR to the next level.

I've just learned the hard way. Having it buttoned up the way you like from the get go is underrated.

I hear ya. Its a sweet ride and not to be underestimated.
However, After screwing around in the aftermarket in terms of time and money....I came to realize how much value there is in straight from the factory. No warranty issues. No associated worries. No researching 4wd shops. Fix one thing....screw up another. No thanks.
Don't lose hope. Pay attention to the sources that keep up with these things (like this forum). If they open up XR for 23 again (who knows, they might since there is a long time left in the 23 MY) then either ask your dealer to switch your order or sell your current non-XR if you got it already to buy the XR. If this market holds, you could probably sell the non for about the same as the XR if you get a good deal on the XR new.

Don't lose hope. Pay attention to the sources that keep up with these things (like this forum). If they open up XR for 23 again (who knows, they might since there is a long time left in the 23 MY) then either ask your dealer to switch your order or sell your current non-XR if you got it already to buy the XR. If this market holds, you could probably sell the non for about the same as the XR if you get a good deal on the XR new.
Yep. All those in the same situation should keep their hand on the pulse. It is way too sweet of a combination to miss out on.

That’s kinda like passing up a date with Kate Upton because you found out she doesn’t live in a bikini 24/7 and taking her to the beach would be to much work.

That’s kinda like passing up a date with Kate Upton because you found out she doesn’t live in a bikini 24/7 and taking her to the beach would be to much work.
Nah. It' not like that at all.
No one would claim she is not the same as the original after going to the beach. Also after putting in the work taking her to the beach she's not likely to break her hip or elllicit some other problem that needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Back