Wiring Help

nismo1013

Reaction score
Current Rides
2023 392XR
Being the knuckle dragger that I am, I'm hoping to draw upon the collective wisdom of this community. My electrical experience is limited to licking batteries as a kid. So... here's what I've got:
  • LiFePo4 aux battery
  • Redarc BCDC1225D
  • Shunt and battery monitor
  • ARB twin compressor
  • National Luna NL50 fridge/freezer
And here's how I am thinking about wiring it all together:

1680640975311.png

And general placement of components, in case helpful:

1680643712024.png

Am I on the right track? Any feedback on what I should be doing differently?

Last edited:
Good start. You dont mention how big of fuse you plan to install for the ARB double. I believe the factory harness has TWO 35 amp fuses, it pulls a lot of power but at least its for short periods of time compared to a refrigerator. Also, how big is the battery? You probably need a 100 ah battery to be able to handle the current the arb will draw.

You could power the ARB from the vehicle battery but then you would need to run the engine while using the compressor.

Assuming you checked appropriate charts in deciding the gauge of the wiring, taking into account peak voltage and circuit length.

Can you cut the Redarc charge current in half? With some models you can and if you drive enough its enough to keep the battery charged.

Can you move the Redarc to the passenger side? This could cut down the length of wiring needed significantly, an important factor in higher amperage circuits.

Last edited:
Good start. You dont mention how big of fuse you plan to install for the ARB double. I believe the factory harness has TWO 35 amp fuses, it pulls a lot of power but at least its for short periods of time compared to a refrigerator. Also, how big is the battery? You probably need a 100 ah battery to be able to handle the current the arb will draw.

You could power the ARB from the vehicle battery but then you would need to run the engine while using the compressor.

Assuming you checked appropriate charts in deciding the gauge of the wiring, taking into account peak voltage and circuit length.

Can you cut the Redarc charge current in half? With some models you can and if you drive enough its enough to keep the battery charged.

Thanks for the tips. The battery is a 135ah, so hoping that will be enough to allow me to be stationary for 48 hours. Later down the road I plan to explore solar to supplement.

Just checked the ARB wiring loom and it has two 40A fuses. I suppose I will follow suit here.

I did check charts on draw and distance to estimate wire sizes, but not sure if I can look at each connection in isolation or if I need to look at it from a power source-to-draw standpoint, if that makes sense?

Not sure about cutting the Redarc charge current. This is actually the first time I’m hearing about this. Can you point me in a direction to learn a bit more here?

Can you move the Redarc to the passenger side? This could cut down the length of wiring needed significantly, an important factor in higher amperage circuits.

Unfortunately there is no additional room under the front or rear passenger seats. I could look for room behind panels in the front passenger footwell but not sure if it’ll fit. I could also mount in the rear cubby but that doesn’t really solve the length of run issue you’re pointing out. Open to other suggestions on location?

Not sure about cutting the Redarc charge current. This is actually the first time I’m hearing about this. Can you point me in a direction to learn a bit more here?
Sorry but now that I look it up it was the Renogy brand that lets you cut the charging current in half. Each of their chargers has a lead that can be connected to hot and cuts the charge current in half. They do not support solar in addition to alternator charging so they would not be a good choice if you are planning on solar.

Unfortunately there is no additional room under the front or rear passenger seats. I could look for room behind panels in the front passenger footwell but not sure if it’ll fit. I could also mount in the rear cubby but that doesn’t really solve the length of run issue you’re pointing out. Open to other suggestions on location?
Cant think of any other locations. As long as you have proper wiring it should be ok. Your biggest amperage will be from battery to ARB and you can make that short.

Back