Winch brand 10k/12K

On my second JL (first one was 2018 JL Rubicon). I rode in a friends 2021 392 and was like wow.. this is an unbelievable jeep. So I took a few months to find the right deal on a 2022 392 ER model and absolutely love this Jeep. Anyway, I have been looking at several winch package and things get more confusing than ever after watching this video.
I know 10/12K winches will almost never be maxed out but this was an interesting experiment. The model I see in almost all YouTube videos didn't seem to do that well. What is everyone’s opinion on this winch test?
I like the warn 10zeon , using it with a block and tackle double your pulls and can be configured in different pull directions. Plus it fit better, the 12 is tight and I mean tight .
It all comes down to what you expect to pull!
Hope this helps !

I like the warn 10zeon , using it with a block and tackle double your pulls and can be configured in different pull directions. Plus it fit better, the 12 is tight and I mean tight .
It all comes down to what you expect to pull!
Hope this helps !
Just FYI. The Zeon 8, 10 and 12 are the same physical size. I installed the Patinum 12-S and Miximus 3 plate with no issue. The Platinum may fit a little better due to no clutch handle.

Last edited:
Just FYI. The Zeon 8, 10 and 12 are the same physical size. I installed the Patinum 12-S and Miximus 3 plate with no issue. The Platinum may fit a little better due to no clutch handle.
Well after a couple weeks of research, I went with the Xeon 12-S with the Maximus-3 mount with the 392 Gold hook anchor. (Easter sale going on right now) I added the XLP Hoop so hopefully that looks the way I want. I could not find any pictures of the Gold hook installed on a 392 so that will be a surprise, good/bad idea. I will post pictures after the install.

Well after a couple weeks of research, I went with the Xeon 12-S with the Maximus-3 mount with the 392 Gold hook anchor. (Easter sale going on right now) I added the XLP Hoop so hopefully that looks the way I want. I could not find any pictures of the Gold hook installed on a 392 so that will be a surprise, good/bad idea. I will post pictures after the install.
Where is the Easter sale going on right now? I’m getting ready to buy a winch. Did you get the synthetic rope?

Where is the Easter sale going on right now? I’m getting ready to buy a winch. Did you get the synthetic rope?
Yes the Xeon models have the spydura synthetic rope . The website says they are out of stock but I had to call and they were in stock now. I ordered the gold hook anchor. I think it will look great once everything is installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0524.jpeg
    IMG_0524.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0523.jpeg
    IMG_0523.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 31
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Zeon 10s. I see some have installed the power interrupt and tied to a Aux switch. Is that necessary? it shouldn’t pull power unless in use correct? I’d rather use my switch for other things if possible

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Zeon 10s. I see some have installed the power interrupt and tied to a Aux switch. Is that necessary? it shouldn’t pull power unless in use correct? I’d rather use my switch for other things if possible
I think it’s more of a personal preference, the reasoning behind it is if heavy cable like 4 - 2 gauge shorts out it has a high chance of catching fire or causing the battery to fail. For example in the event of an accident and the power cable gets pinched between the frame and bumper causing a short. I know some people have used a high amp breaker, it doesn’t require a switch and can be manually disconnected or disconnect if shorted. Down side is that if you max out your winch or do a long pull you may trigger the breaker. There is a cheaper alternative, I leave the positive cables on my JK winches disconnected all the time and I have an empty battery post with a wing nut for a fast connection. If I need one of the winches it takes less than a minute to connect the winch I need. I did the same in my 392 until adding a 500 amp disconnect that powers my winch and air compressor.

I think it’s more of a personal preference, the reasoning behind it is if heavy cable like 4 - 2 gauge shorts out it has a high chance of catching fire or causing the battery to fail. For example in the event of an accident and the power cable gets pinched between the frame and bumper causing a short. I know some people have used a high amp breaker, it doesn’t require a switch and can be manually disconnected or disconnect if shorted. Down side is that if you max out your winch or do a long pull you may trigger the breaker. There is a cheaper alternative, I leave the positive cables on my JK winches disconnected all the time and I have an empty battery post with a wing nut for a fast connection. If I need one of the winches it takes less than a minute to connect the winch I need. I did the same in my 392 until adding a 500 amp disconnect that powers my winch and air compressor.
Awesome thanks for the insight. Do you have pics of your setup?

Edit just saw you had posted them thanks!

My setup is installed… it a warn zeon 10s with maximus-3.com mounting plate and matching gold anchor plate. ( I might change it but not sure yet). I am waiting to hear from my paint shop guy if he can match the warn lead with the same color at plate..
Factor 55 is not a perfect match blue but it works.
The filler plates look great and the wiring on the warn zeon is so clean. It cost a little more but it looks so clean after install.

Attachments

• IMG_0657.jpeg
    IMG_0657.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0658.jpeg
    IMG_0658.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0639.jpeg
    IMG_0639.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0640.jpeg
    IMG_0640.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 47
I installed the zeon 10s on mine and it’s a great fit.
I seen where the 392 badge is in question on the rear.
Here’s a look at mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 50
I’m no expert but just got back from Moab Utah and there was a lot of badlands winches On the front of Jeeps. I know it’s kind of tacky to put it on front of a 392 but these guys are swearing by the cheapest winch out there.. I don’t know, maybe I’ll try one. I stopped in at Harbor freight today iand there about 650 bucks without a Coupon.

I'm one of those tacky 392 owners that decided to put a badlands winch on instead of a warn. For me it was a matter of the use case, the sort of offroading I do in the 392 rarely calls for winching. If I were building a dedicated trail rig where I needed to depend on my winch several times a trip, I would have shelled out for a warn, but there's been enough reviews on the badlands that I feel confident about it meeting my needs.

I'm one of those tacky 392 owners that decided to put a badlands winch on instead of a warn. For me it was a matter of the use case, the sort of offroading I do in the 392 rarely calls for winching. If I were building a dedicated trail rig where I needed to depend on my winch several times a trip, I would have shelled out for a warn, but there's been enough reviews on the badlands that I feel confident about it meeting my needs I’m getting one also.
I'm one of those tacky 392 owners that decided to put a badlands winch on instead of a warn. For me it was a matter of the use case, the sort of offroading I do in the 392 rarely calls for winching. If I were building a dedicated trail rig where I needed to depend on my winch several times a trip, I would have shelled out for a warn, but there's been enough reviews on the badlands that I feel confident about it meeting my needs.
Sweet, I’m gonna go this route also. Any problems with mounting in the bumper? Which plate Mount did you go with And how about a pic. 😀

Sweet, I’m gonna go this route also. Any problems with mounting in the bumper? Which plate Mount did you go with And how about a pic. 😀
I went with the Warn winch plate (WARN 101255 Winch Mount for Jeep Gladiator JT & Wrangler JL). If I were to do it again, I would look at alternative winch plates, as I had to trim my bumper slightly to clear the clutch handle. Not sure which brands have better fitment, I know a few guys on here have done the badlands.
1685119457652.png

1685119437795.png
1685119410964.png

That is great that you have a wench doesn’t matter what type . A wench can be handy in a lot of cases , like if some bad driver runs a person off the road , and you know there is a lot of them out there . Lol
I went warn only because of my pass experience with them and if I need a part or replacement, warn will be there for that.
Some friends had issues with customer service on the badlands wenches , one person didn’t know anything about them and left him hanging on the line for a very long time and after a long wait she said nothing they could do because they don’t carry parts for that model anymore.
I’ve been on just backroads and had to pull a tree out of the way or turn around and travel another 60 miles around.
So, it’s always good to had a wench regardless of type .

On my second JL (first one was 2018 JL Rubicon). I rode in a friends 2021 392 and was like wow.. this is an unbelievable jeep. So I took a few months to find the right deal on a 2022 392 ER model and absolutely love this Jeep. Anyway, I have been looking at several winch package and things get more confusing than ever after watching this video.
I know 10/12K winches will almost never be maxed out but this was an interesting experiment. The model I see in almost all YouTube videos didn't seem to do that well. What is everyone’s opinion on this winch test?
My thoughts, if you plan on using your winch as a recovery/rescue tool when you're stuck miles from help, then it's priceless. Or you can save money on a cheap winch and pay to get rescued or pay up front to be self reliant. Hope this helps.

Back