Winch brand 10k/12K

Ashton

Reaction score
Current Rides
2002 Jeep Rubicon 392 ER
On my second JL (first one was 2018 JL Rubicon). I rode in a friends 2021 392 and was like wow.. this is an unbelievable jeep. So I took a few months to find the right deal on a 2022 392 ER model and absolutely love this Jeep. Anyway, I have been looking at several winch package and things get more confusing than ever after watching this video.
I know 10/12K winches will almost never be maxed out but this was an interesting experiment. The model I see in almost all YouTube videos didn't seem to do that well. What is everyone’s opinion on this winch test?

Last edited:
Interesting video. I usually speed up those type of videos by 25 or even 50% but that one was fast at regular speed and thats good.

Things I personally find important on a winch:

- Synthetic rope. Most models are available with synthetic and cost more than the same winch with steel cable. It is much safer and easier to handle. If you are frequently in the rocks dragging your line over rough edges steel might be better but for the rest of us synthetic is the way to go.

- Wireless remote. Lets you get on any side or in the cab without hauling the wire around.

- Wired remote. Wireless is useless if your remote battery is dead.

- Clean looking package. Its nice to not have all those heavy wires and lugs they attach to some models have.

- Warranty.

Notes

- Many 10k/12k winches of the same brand are the same except for rating and gear ratio.

- I dont need a fast pull.

- Pulling power can almost be doubled and speed almost be halved with the use of a snatch block.

One "killer" feature no other brand has is the Warn Platinum line has a remote controlled clutch.

I'm currently working on a plan to remote mount the control box, and since there is no need to access the winch to move the clutch handle, I "think" I can get the cover back on the bumper, completely hiding the winch itself.

One "killer" feature no other brand has is the Warn Platinum line has a remote controlled clutch.

I'm currently working on a plan to remote mount the control box, and since there is no need to access the winch to move the clutch handle, I "think" I can get the cover back on the bumper, completely hiding the winch itself.
Three things I learned about the Warn high end Zeon Platinum line this week:

1 - they are expensive!

2- like @guruman said, the wireless remote can control the clutch. Thats a very nice feature that I have not seen before.

3- they are expensive!

Three things I learned about the Warn high end Zeon Platinum line this week:

1 - they are expensive!

2- like @guruman said, the wireless remote can control the clutch. Thats a very nice feature that I have not seen before.

3- they are expensive!
I believe they are also made in the USA (Oregon?)

I came across the Mile Marker mission series recently. It claims to be military grade winch and has different colors.
Very expensive too.

Attachments

• 3472EC28-64C7-46C8-A4C5-C1523183BB63.png
    3472EC28-64C7-46C8-A4C5-C1523183BB63.png
    240.2 KB · Views: 48
I am sure this has been talked about but just about every Warn winch sold in the last few years is recalled. I guess this explains the backorder issues with some of the sub $1500 models.
Yeah, the recall is for the remote, which might get wet and corrode causing unwanted winch activation. I don't consider that super likely to happen. I'm betting it's much more likely that if the thing gets wet, it just dies.

I believe they are also made in the USA (Oregon?)
The higher end models are made in the Republic of Oregon. They also have a less expensive line made in China.

On my second JL (first one was 2018 JL Rubicon). I rode in a friends 2021 392 and was like wow.. this is an unbelievable jeep. So I took a few months to find the right deal on a 2022 392 ER model and absolutely love this Jeep. Anyway, I have been looking at several winch package and things get more confusing than ever after watching this video.
I know 10/12K winches will almost never be maxed out but this was an interesting experiment. The model I see in almost all YouTube videos didn't seem to do that well. What is everyone’s opinion on this winch test?
if you turned that video into a drinking game and you had to do a shot every time that guy said Zeak, well you would probably be dead from alcohol poisoning.

Holy hell that guy had me so confused I didn’t make it through the video. Just test one winch at a time then compare the results, I lost track of what winch was being tested because he just kept repeating the previous result and the result to beat. Not to mention the fact that he talked so damn fast, makes me wonder if he works for drug companies when they have to list all the side effects in the last 1 second of their commercials.

if you turned that video into a drinking game and you had to do a shot every time that guy said Zeak, well you would probably be dead from alcohol poisoning.

Holy hell that guy had me so confused I didn’t make it through the video. Just test one winch at a time then compare the results, I lost track of what winch was being tested because he just kept repeating the previous result and the result to beat. Not to mention the fact that he talked so damn fast, makes me wonder if he works for drug companies when they have to list all the side effects in the last 1 second of their commercials.
Project Farm - best product reviews on the interwebs. Not a paid shill like 95% of the self-obsessed (insert channel name here) on YouTubers.

Looks like a solid winch. Does that winch constantly search for the signal from the wireless remote? Quadratec has a winch with single remote that can be wired or wireless. On that winch you have to activate the wireless feature on the winch as well as the remote. I'm thinking of constant power draw on the Superwinch looking for a signal although it is probably very small.

Looks like a solid winch. Does that winch constantly search for the signal from the wireless remote? Quadratec has a winch with single remote that can be wired or wireless. On that winch you have to activate the wireless feature on the winch as well as the remote. I'm thinking of constant power draw on the Superwinch looking for a signal although it is probably very small.
I am not sure. I guess I need to call Superwinch to find out.

Back