@WhiteBronze392 Build

So Memorial days sales are tempting me :ROFLMAO: with the "protection" items on my build list (bumpers & skids) I have been leaning going the full aluminum route for weight with NVM Featherweight F&R bumpers and belly skids but close to $6500 shipped bare AL and 6-8 week lead time has made me look elsewhere.

Getting ready to finally get this thing off-road and definitely want at least a oil pan skid first. The fender chop cost me more $$ because it added bumpers to the list for sure which were a maybe as the rear looks out of place to me without the plastic inners and bumpers have to match F&R lol

After looking a a whole bunch of bumpers and skids my current front runners are:

Steel Option- Motobilt - Memorial Day sale and free shipping! Bumpers are in stock and go out in a few days and belly skids are 1 week. Would need to factor in the cost of powder coating (got a local quote of $350 per bumper) but Motobilt recommended just using Steel-It for easy touch up which I would do myself and is appx $300 for bumpers and skids. Total cost for steel "system" delivered is $2900-$3300 depending on which options I choose. Total weight of system added gonna say 235 lbs for the belly skids and call the bumpers a break even

For the front:

• Crusher series HD Front No bull bar- 65 lbs so about the same or slightly lighter weight as OEM with winch plate and has cutouts for my BD SAE fogs and all other lights will work.
  • Crusher series HD front Skid plate - 30 lbs Could just cut the "fangs" and rotate the sway bar disconnect motor (found out this is a thing? who knew?) but would have to figure out mounting for Fox reservoirs
  • HLFBAM.jpg copy.jpg
For the rear: Its between these two

• Micro series - Love the look! Just released and only 35 lbs! works with spare & sensors but needs corner armor. No light cutouts but could drill and mount my S2 to the top
    1C44897F-1FA5-4F5F-B070-88257F111FC9_500x.jpg copy.jpg
  • Crusher with light cutouts- 65 pounds which I believe is similar to OEM. Would need squadrons for cutouts my S2 will not work.
    F144732227.jpeg
Skids:

• Motobilt 392 Skid system - Just released and looks nice. Higher mounting option for the stamped pan. Installs over fuel tank skid. 235 pounds which seems in line with other steel belly skids but about 100 lbs heavier than aluminum options
    IMG_4050_1200x1200 copy.jpg

Aluminum Option - Genright & M.O.R.E- Bumper packages on sale F&R $2279 delivered. Could either leave bare aluminum, powdercoat or Steel-It. Skid package is $1960 delivered. Need to verify lead times Total cost for aluminum system delivered between $4000- $4250 depending on options. Total weight for system added would be roughly 10lbs with the lighter bumpers offsetting the skids

For the front:
  • Aluminum Ultra Clearance Stubby No bull bar- Love the look but would have to either cut the "fangs" and rotate swaybar motor and find another skid solution (M.O.R.E crash bar skid?). Only weighs 44lbs with winch plate! No place for BD fogs…fairlead light mount? or other options
    Screenshot_2020-09-22_Jeep_JL_JT_Narrow_Front_Tube_Fenders_-_Aluminum__49539.png
  • Aluminum Standard stubby no bull bar- Basically the Ultra clearance but with a built in skid plate. I like the look but unsure about the one piece bumper & skid plate. Only weighs 49 pounds with winch plate. Same problem with the fogs
    RG-JL-JT-CU-web__67293.jpeg
For the Rear:
  • Aluminum rear bumper- No light cutouts would have to drill and mount S2s on top or bottom. only weighs 22lbs
    RBB-10222_3-GEN.jpeg
Skids:
  • M.O.R.E Oil Pan, Transfer Case, Gas Tank & Front Skid plates - Stand alone which has advantages and disadvantages. Not a full belly skid but could purchase and install in phases and not Need to spend 2k now. Would leave bare aluminum. Installs over fuel tank skid. Total weight 88lbs

I apologize for all of the long mess this was mostly for me to get my thoughts on "paper" but if you happened to actually read til the end I would love to know your thoughts or suggestions. I could do aluminum bumpers & steel skids or vice versa I suppose which I have not ruled out but im weird.

Last edited:
Got mine off-road yesterday for the first time with alll the suspension work done. The Clayton coils and Fox shocks performed beautifully. Had a full day out on trails with lots of hills, rocks, logs, tons of off camber, mud, water, etc., etc. So happy with this setup!

Got mine off-road yesterday for the first time with alll the suspension work done. The Clayton coils and Fox shocks performed beautifully. Had a full day out on trails with lots of hills, rocks, logs, tons of off camber, mud, water, etc., etc. So happy with this setup!
Awesome! Where did you go? Not much of that here but NC is not far from me. Me and a neighbor who has a built JK are going to check out some trails in Fancis Marion

Awesome! Where did you go? Not much of that here but NC is not far from me. Me and a neighbor who has a built JK are going to check out some trails in Fancis Marion
Spent the day in the Uwharrie Area. No at the OHV park, it was on private land. Great day.

So Memorial days sales are tempting me :ROFLMAO: with the "protection" items on my build list (bumpers & skids) I have been leaning going the full aluminum route for weight with NVM Featherweight F&R bumpers and belly skids but close to $6500 shipped bare AL and 6-8 week lead time has made me look elsewhere.

I apologize for all of the long mess this was mostly for me to get my thoughts on "paper" but if you happened to actually read til the end I would love to know your thoughts or suggestions. I could do aluminum bumpers & steel skids or vice versa I suppose which I have not ruled out but im weird.

Man, I'm right here with you on all this except the bumpers. I like the OEM steel ones enough that I'm in no hurry to change them. Maybe one day, but that's low on my list.

I, too, have been eyeing the Next Venture Motorsports full skid system with the UHMW skin add-on. The 6-8 week lead time has me wanting to order sooner than later too, but I'm still 'warming' up to the cost. I also want to add their diff covers and diff skids, which pushes the overall cost over $4500.

I've looked at other skids from other manufacturers and the NVM skids still keep coming out ahead for me. 6-8 weeks sucks, but at this point everything with this whole Wrangler 392 experience has been a lesson in patience.

Whatever you end up doing, I'd just suggest you get what you truly want and not what's more immediately available. That's all I got!

Man, I'm right here with you on all this except the bumpers. I like the OEM steel ones enough that I'm in no hurry to change them. Maybe one day, but that's low on my list.

I, too, have been eyeing the Next Venture Motorsports full skid system with the UHMW skin add-on. The 6-8 week lead time has me wanting to order sooner than later too, but I'm still 'warming' up to the cost. I also want to add their diff covers and diff skids, which pushes the overall cost over $4500.

I've looked at other skids from other manufacturers and the NVM skids still keep coming out ahead for me. 6-8 weeks sucks, but at this point everything with this whole Wrangler 392 experience has been a lesson in patience.

Whatever you end up doing, I'd just suggest you get what you truly want and not what's more immediately available. That's all I got!
Yeah I kept going back to NVM as well mostly because of the weight but like you trying to warm up to double the cost , more than double with the UHMW, to effectively save 100 pounds but realizing that the weight saving is the only advantage and steel is actually probably the better material for the task from my research. If there is another advantage please share because that’s all I have found.

Maybe I only like NVM because of the cost and perceive it to be better because of it 🤣

As for the bumpers I like the OEM as well and replacing them was not really on my radar until I did the fender chop then something changed in my brain lol

If the weight was not in the picture the Motobilt bumpers and skids would be my choice I have liked the look of them since before I ever had it and they tick the boxes of what I am looking for not factoring in availability.

Last edited:
Spent the day in the Uwharrie Area. No at the OHV park, it was on private land. Great day.
I have had my eye on Uwharrie as I used to mountian bike around there when I lived in charlotte. Maybe we can meet up there sometime!

Did you notice the added weight of your Rusty’s skids when you installed? They are about the same weight as the motobilt I am looking at.

I have had my eye on Uwharrie as I used to mountian bike around there when I lived in charlotte. Maybe we can meet up there sometime!

Did you notice the added weight of your Rusty’s skids when you installed? They are about the same weight as the motobilt I am looking at.
Yeah, I’ll definitely be heading back to Uwharrie and hittting the public trails. I’m itching to get back after yesterday. Let me know when in the future you think about heading out.

I did notice the weight a little bit with the Rusty’s skids but didn’t feel it was too much. I more noticed the increased rigidity with the beefier cross bracing, which is a good thing. I have the full underbelly, muffler skid, and skids on the front (axle side) and rear (frame and axle) LCAs. I felt a couple hits yesterday and just smiled through them knowing the skids were doing their job. The added weight certainly didn’t hinder the perfomance, The Beast can handle it. 😁

Yeah I kept going back to NVM as well mostly because of the weight but like you trying to warm up to double the cost , more than double with the UHMW, to effectively save 100 pounds but realizing that the weight saving is the only advantage and steel is actually probably the better material for the task from my research. If there is another advantage please share because that’s all I have found.

Maybe I only like NVM because of the cost and perceive it to be better because of it 🤣

As for the bumpers I like the OEM as well and replacing them was not really on my radar until I did the fender chop then something changed in my brain lol

If the weight was not in the picture the Motobilt bumpers and skids would be my choice I have liked the look of them since before I ever had it and they tick the boxes of what I am looking for not factoring in availability.
Honestly, for me it’s three things that are pushing me to NVM.

1. The UHMW skin is super slick and will slide better than steel or aluminum. It’s self-lubricating in that regard. Having had experience with it on a SxS and quads I can say it’s a very resilient material.

2. Weight and clearance gained at the fuel tank.

3. Corrosion resistance. Even though CO is an arid and dry locale, I don’t want to deal with a material that’s going to see scratches to the protective coating and then rust. Aluminum eliminates that.

I also looked at Artec belly skids. But the cost is almost as much as NVM, no skid for the mid-exhaust, and no UHMW skin option.

Bonus is that NVM is a Colorado business, so I can support the local little guy too, but really they’re all small businesses that need our support.

Yeah, I’ll definitely be heading back to Uwharrie and hittting the public trails. I’m itching to get back after yesterday. Let me know when in the future you think about heading out.

I did notice the weight a little bit with the Rusty’s skids but didn’t feel it was too much. I more noticed the increased rigidity with the beefier cross bracing, which is a good thing. I have the full underbelly, muffler skid, and skids on the front (axle side) and rear (frame and axle) LCAs. I felt a couple hits yesterday and just smiled through them knowing the skids were doing their job. The added weight certainly didn’t hinder the perfomance, The Beast can handle it. 😁
Thanks for the feedback and that’s the exact feeling I want not every time I hear something underneath puckering up lol. Will do I’m about 4 hours away.

Honestly, for me it’s three things that are pushing me to NVM.

1. The UHMW skin is super slick and will slide better than steel or aluminum. It’s self-lubricating in that regard. Having had experience with it on a SxS and quads I can say it’s a very resilient material.

2. Weight and clearance gained at the fuel tank.

3. Corrosion resistance. Even though CO is an arid and dry locale, I don’t want to deal with a material that’s going to see scratches to the protective coating and then rust. Aluminum eliminates that.

I also looked at Artec belly skids. But the cost is almost as much as NVM, no skid for the mid-exhaust, and no UHMW skin option.

Bonus is that NVM is a Colorado business, so I can support the local little guy too, but really they’re all small businesses that need our support.
Thanks for your feedback and definitely good points for sure I just need to figure out how much that is worth to me and if I would truly be able to tell when I am on the trail. Unlimited budget NVM all the way but unfortunately that’s not the case and want to make sure I put the $ where it makes the most sense. I also don’t want to regret skimping on anything as me and a buddy have committed to making a road trip to Easter Jeep Safari next year and wanna drive it home 🤣

I also don’t want it to sag any as I am very happy with the height now but going with one or the other so adding 125 or 235 anyway.

I guess I could say Motobilt being in the southeast where I am from is a bonus lol

Last edited:
Yep, you hit on all the same points that I keep weighing as well. The cost/benefit analysis is a struggle with for this one.

Then again, I look at what I’ve spent so far and it’s funny that all the sudden I’m getting coy about buying stuff. 😆

Maybe it’s cause skids are a slightly less glamorous add-on. 🤷‍♂️

Definitely keep us posted on what you end up doing!

Yep, you hit on all the same points that I keep weighing as well. The cost/benefit analysis is a struggle with for this one.

Then again, I look at what I’ve spent so far and it’s funny that all the sudden I’m getting coy about buying stuff. 😆

Maybe it’s cause skids are a slightly less glamorous add-on. 🤷‍♂️

Definitely keep us posted on what you end up doing!
Haha you hit the nail on the head. That much for shocks yep take my money…..that much for a piece of metal I will hopefully never see after it’s installed unless something went terribly wrong or I’m changing the oil is a different story 🤣

The family and I are staying at an Airbnb at Badin lake, planning on hitting up the trails at Uwahrrie this weekend. I'm in the 392, the wife in her 4Runner.

The family and I are staying at an Airbnb at Badin lake, planning on hitting up the trails at Uwahrrie this weekend. I'm in the 392, the wife in her 4Runner.
Should be a blast as long as the weather is better than than forecasted here. Wish that was my plan but we have some family coming in town Friday. Post some pics of the trip!!

Well I put bumpers back on the back burner. I got excited over the Memorial Day sale and new products from Motobilt to order as a package but going to think this through some more.

Focus is back on deciding which skids!

The Motobilt skids cover the exhaust as well.
Well I put bumpers back on the back burner. I got excited over the Memorial Day sale and new products from Motobilt to order as a package but going to think this through some more.

Focus is back on deciding which skids!
This part just looks like it a rock grabber for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_2876.jpeg
    IMG_2876.jpeg
    969.3 KB · Views: 23
Good info. FYI, the Rusty‘s fuel skid does replace and require the removal of the OEM fuel skid.

The Motobilt skids cover the exhaust as well.

This part just looks like it a rock grabber for sure.
You are correct. The ones with the "resonator skid" seem like true belly pans

That probably increases clearance but would densely not slide over something smoothly lol

Back