Which Exhaust System?

TUCAZ64

Reaction score
I'm ready to get rid of the stock exhaust, can't stand the low hanging muffler and like to improve clearance.
I'm thinking AWE , Borla S-Type or Magnaflow , definitely like the quiet mode for my neighborhood and not factoring in the black coating.
Ease of installation, makes more horsepower etc?

I think AWE has the most clearance. I don’t think you’ll go wrong w any of the ones you’ve listed. I have Borla and installed it myself w no lift in my garage. The hardest part was swapping the actuators from the stock system. I highly recommend them, they make quality stuff, but every brand you’ve listed does. I don’t think any of them are going to make any noticeable horsepower improvements though.

I know it’s not on your list but I went with the MagnaFlow Rock Crawler exhaust. Admittedly, I miss “quiet mode” but no muffler at all makes up for it. Basically you’re in performance mode 100% of the time. Funny thing is I never really used the quiet mode when I still had the stock system. The sound is great and those downshift burps are the best. Another plus is the RC exhaust is only about $1,600 - $1,700.

I went with the Borla S-type. It’s absolutely tucked in and out of the way. Looks great. Quiet mode is about the same, loud is louder and deeper than stock for sure. I sneak out of my neighborhood early for work, but cold start is always loud no matter what. Also check out warranties.

I’m saving for AWE. Don’t like the big logo of Borla muffler. Keep in mind AWE is H-pipe design and Borla as well as others (including the factory) is X-pipe design. They all sounds good, AWE is a bit louder in both quite and performance mode from my research and watching all the videos.

I’m saving for AWE. Don’t like the big logo of Borla muffler. Keep in mind AWE is H-pipe design and Borla as well as others (including the factory) is X-pipe design. They all sounds good, AWE is a bit louder in both quite and performance mode from my research and watching all the videos.
Videos aren’t a good example of how the exhaust will ultimately sound. I was torn on the Borla Atak based on videos thinking it was going to be a bit too raspy. Most of the deeper sounds get lost in translation through crappy microphones and speakers unfortunately.

The only way to truly tell is in person. Borla uses some patented whiz bang harmonic noise altering polyphonic technology on their systems. The exhaust sounds entirely different in person compared to videos, including the ones they post on their own website.

My advice if you’re torn between systems, look for a member in your area who has a system you’re interested in and see if they’ll meet up and let you listen to it. Hell if any of you are near me I’ll take you for a spin.

Attachments

• D6AC6D5C-B870-4F31-9E78-A204076E0483.jpeg
    D6AC6D5C-B870-4F31-9E78-A204076E0483.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 107
I ordered a AWE for the TRX, H pipes sound the best on these big V8s IMO. X pipes are for turbo rice burners. 😏. I was going to get a AWE for the 392 as well but it's technically the wife's once the TRX arrives and she said "no more mods on MY Jeep"... 🤣

Thanks to all for the advice-opinions, I'm hoping to hear some in person.

I'm ready to get rid of the stock exhaust, can't stand the low hanging muffler and like to improve clearance.
I'm thinking AWE , Borla S-Type or Magnaflow , definitely like the quiet mode for my neighborhood and not factoring in the black coating.
Ease of installation, makes more horsepower etc?
Exhaust is early mod consideration for any vehicle I've owned. On this rig, I want what many here look for...tuck it in, keep the switch active, different sound. My sound preference is deeper tone, less "raspy" on hard acceleration, no drone. My 392 doesn't have a drone that my wife or I find disturbing.

Stock sounds good on this ride. I didn't change exhaust on a Redeye and 2 other Hellcats I've owned as I couldn't justify the spend...they sounded really good...juice wasn't worth the squeeze ($$$). I'm with @caraholic at this point but could go nuts at any moment if I hear something I like 😁

I've been eyeballin' the AWE and Borla. Agree with @Robr651 that the vids just can't represent what your experience will be live. Will be tough finding examples to hear. I've never seen another 392 in the wild.

I'll chill my tendency to jump and try to find an AWE & a Borla to hear.

As usual, well thought out replies for the OP. Solid forum community here 👍

Not having heard both I would lean more towards the AWE. Granted I can’t justify either one’s price with how good the stock system sounds.

That is my issue. The stock exhaust is already good so dropping $3k plus for what effectively winds up being an aesthetic improvement is a hard pill to swallow. I like the Borla S-Type. My thing is I need the quiet mode to be quiet for neighbor consideration and I find a loud exhaust on road trips annoying.

I really just wish some company would make some nice looking bolt on tips at a reasonable cost to improve the look.

That is my issue. The stock exhaust is already good so dropping $3k plus for what effectively winds up being an aesthetic improvement is a hard pill to swallow. I like the Borla S-Type. My thing is I need the quiet mode to be quiet for neighbor consideration and I find a loud exhaust on road trips annoying.

I really just wish some company would make some nice looking bolt on tips at a reasonable cost to improve the look.
Reach out to @Johnny@JustBoltOns they’re not $3k. You can whack close to $500 off that price depending on discounts. The factory exhaust does sound good, but is no comparison to the Borla I have. Night and day difference in sound.

+1 to Magnaflow Rock Crawler. Trade offs obviously such as no quiet mode anymore, but there’s no dumb muffler in the back, silly looking quad tips (imo), and the turndowns are flush with the rear bumper. Sounds great.

Looking forward to adding longtubes.

+1 to Magnaflow Rock Crawler. Trade offs obviously such as no quiet mode anymore, but there’s no dumb muffler in the back, silly looking quad tips (imo), and the turndowns are flush with the rear bumper. Sounds great.

Looking forward to adding longtubes.
I’m considering the Magnaflow rock crawler. How loud is it relative to the stock performance exhaust mode?

Had to actually read up a little on the X-Pipe vs H-Pipe thing after reading through this thread. A good article I found was on LSX MAG.

Seems like if you need more Horsepower and prefer the raspier sound, X pipe is the way to go.

If you want more torque, and prefer that old school classic V8 rumble, the H pipe is a better way to go.

Just found it interesting and thought I'd share.

I’m considering the Magnaflow rock crawler. How loud is it relative to the stock performance exhaust mode?
I’ve been running the MF RC for about 9 months and it sounds a bit more aggressive than the stock system with the valves open. I sorta miss the ability to put it in quiet mode, but honestly hardly ever ran it like that when I still had the factory exhaust. My wife isn’t a big fan of the RC exhaust though. I’ve been on a few longer road trips and the interior noise doesn’t really bother me at all…that’s what the sound system is for 👍 For me it was a no-brainer; I absolutely hate seeing mufflers hanging down on any vehicle.

Had to actually read up a little on the X-Pipe vs H-Pipe thing after reading through this thread. A good article I found was on LSX MAG.

Seems like if you need more Horsepower and prefer the raspier sound, X pipe is the way to go.

If you want more torque, and prefer that old school classic V8 rumble, the H pipe is a better way to go.

Just found it interesting and thought I'd share.
Interesting read, thanks !

Back