What to pay for in stock 392 XR

bwoodbmw

Reaction score
Current Rides
Disco4
seems like there are some great offers if I'm willing to order and wait for a new vehicle. I've called on a couple that have popped up in stock and both dealers wanted $15k over msrp. I'm happy to forgo any discount and pay full sticker (I actually offered $1,500 over msrp) for the joy of instant gratification but I'm patient enough to not pay more than that. So my question is: has anybody been able to buy an instock vehicle for msrp or a discount yet? Given 3-5% seems doable for an order/wait situation would love to know what others with no patience like me are paying and actually getting cars.

I'm curious of this too. The very few I have seen in stock were well over MSRP. Local dealer still says they are charging 30k over and they keep selling them.

I called the service advisor (for my non-Jeep daily driver) and told him, “I’ve had this vehicle for 14 months and absolutely nothing has gone wrong, which means I have no excuse for trading it in and buying something else.” He laughed and said, “be glad, because vehicles are so scarce right now due to the chip shortage, we had to sell off our loaner fleet of cars.”

The dealership Where I bought my 392 was trying to charge $5000 over sticker. They would not budge from that so I walked out and they called me back later and sold it to me for sticker. The jeep was still in transit at the time. I sold my Tesla 3 Performance to shift.com for $6,600 more than the dealership would offer on trade.

The dealership Where I bought my 392 was trying to charge $5000 over sticker. They would not budge from that so I walked out and they called me back later and sold it to me for sticker. The jeep was still in transit at the time. I sold my Tesla 3 Performance to shift.com for $6,600 more than the dealership would offer on trade.
You’re the first person I’ve heard of who traded in a gas-free vehicle for a gas guzzler. I love it! Nothing against electric vehicles; however, there is a certain primal sound and feeling you get from a big V8. I took my elderly neighbors for a test drive last night in my 392 -- it was like a scene out of the 1985 movie Cocoon -- they were rejuvenated!
tempImagewJIbNv.png
!

The dealership that I ordered my 392 from, said that if I back out, they have to send the 392 back to Jeep since they are not allowed to sell it on their lot. Not sure if that's true... (the dude is a salesman) or what the reasoning is. They are a small lot owned by a large car dealer.

The dealership that I ordered my 392 from, said that if I back out, they have to send the 392 back to Jeep since they are not allowed to sell it on their lot. Not sure if that's true... (the dude is a salesman) or what the reasoning is. They are a small lot owned by a large car dealer.
That sounds like a load of bull. I purchased a non-special order that was destined for a lot just 2 weeks ago.

Update: the dealer with a 392xr in stock that started at $25k over… then moved to $15k over…. Has now come down to $7,500 over. I moved my offer to $2,500 over where I won’t budge. Still stupid to pay over, but I’m a sucker for instant gratification.

From the research I've done in the Vegas area you're gonna be looking around $5k over sticker whether they just happen to have one on the lot or they order it, but to get one off the lot you have to buy it within the hour that it hits the lot.

@bwoodbmw He take you up on it yet?
still no. haha... cars been sitting for weeks. They keep saying "if it doesn't sell tonight we'll do it"... then the next day they give me some BS about somebody willing to pay more... then a few days later they call me and we start the whole dance over again. Thinking about telling them they've got 24 hours to decide on my deal or I'm ordering one from one of the guys on here offering discounts.

Wouldn't hurt to give them an ultimatum. What do you have to lose? Doesn't sound like it's a risky move at this point.

So following the conversation am I correct in saying they have one for $7,500 over and it has not sold in some time?

My MSRP was a little over $88k. I added every option except the gorilla glass bc I forgot to check the box lol. My purchase price was $81k and change. RiverFront Jeep in North Aurora, IL. Highly suggest using them. Had to pay $1500 to get it chipped to me but came out way ahead.

When I placed my order at MSRP I thought everyone was charging over now I see these offers for less. I've been on order since Oct 6. I think about it all the time, canceling and starting over.

Here's something obvious, that I know ALL TOO WELL: Now is the worst time to buy a new car.

My American Made Ferrari (for rednecks) was 15K over sticker. Part of that is supply/demand and another is the dealership I got it from, which was in Scottsdale. Had I ordered one in my city, it would most likely been at MSRP.

But this one was available immediately - someone else's unpaid order - and we could swing it. I've been called a sucker before, so it must be true. Of course, I'm one of the happiest suckers in AZ, so I don't ever listen to someone who says "Money can't buy you happiness" LOL!!

I guess what I'm trying to say, is someone will pay for what they think it's worth.

Seems most of the dealers around here are asking upwards of $100k for 392s... used non XRs ones at that with like 2 or 3k miles on them. At least what I am seeing listed on Autotrader.

I could see how some people are paying over MSRP though if they are impatient. The 392 likely won't be around long and sure to be a sought after collector model for years to come. It probably won't ever depreciate significantly if you don't destroy it with after market mods. Will probably be like Jeeps version of the original Defender.

At least that is what I am telling myself to justify spending this kind of money on a Jeep and will be my excuse to the wife when she finds out....

I am patient, so decided to place an order with one of the reputable dealers offering below MSRP and willing to drive a little to get it.

Last edited:
So following the conversation am I correct in saying they have one for $7,500 over and it has not sold in some time?
Its not listed at 7500 over but he told me he'd do the deal at that price. Its been sitting for about 2 weeks now. Not terribly long but long enough that its making me more optimistic about MSRP buys of in stock cars in the future.

When I placed my order at MSRP I thought everyone was charging over now I see these offers for less. I've been on order since Oct 6. I think about it all the time, canceling and starting over.
Ordered my from Mike at Lakeland so I have a 3 hour drive from Naples when it comes in. MSRP 83,580, Selling price is 78,723 plus charges taking the out the door price to just over $84k Looks like a 3 1/2 hour drive for you to save 5k+
SHOJeep

I'd happily drive 3-6 hours for a deal. Problem is I live in Los Angeles and dealers out west don't seem to be dealing the same as east/mid-west dealer.

Back